Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Power seats & fan fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-01, 07:03 PM
beneluxboy

I just got a '92 SC400, and I have a few questions... the back adjustment on the right front passenger seat has quit working, though the bottom adjustment works fine. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of failure and what the fix was.

I just noticed tonight the fan fluid reservoir. What sort of fluid? I've never had a radiator fan that had a fluid reservoir.

I looked to see if Bentley or Haynes had produced a repair manual for this car, and I couldn't find such a thing. I assume Toyota sells a shop manual for it?
Old 06-18-01, 10:06 AM
beneluxboy

Default answering my own questions

AmericanLexusParts.com says $250 for the shop manuals.

The problem with the seat, according to Lexus of Bellevue, is the seat track: $1075 for the part, $240 for installation by an upholstery shop. I'm going to check with some local wrecking yards first...
Old 06-20-01, 08:12 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lex SC400 manuals

beneluxboy:
I've got a '92 SC4 and fortunately, have had no problem with seats - so can't address that - but, on the other items - the fan is hydraulic thus the reservoir. Re: the manuals, I bought a set from my local Lex dealer ( Sewell Lexus, Dallas) for $130. for the 2 manual set. I don't know what "AmericanLexusParts" is selling - maybe better than the Lexus?? But - these are the Lexus 1992 Repair manuals, volumes 1 and 2. They have been sold at various dealers across the country for about $100 up to $200 (according to posts on this forum). Additionally, Francis K has indicated that he has seen manuals on ebay occasionally - for cheep! Good luck on the seat repair.

Old 06-21-01, 08:36 PM
VinceLee

Exclamation Installation is too much!

$240 for installation of the front seat is like robbing the bank.

It is a easy bolt-on installation. The whole seat replacement would take only a few minutes.
Old 06-30-01, 10:03 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installation is too much!

Originally posted by VinceLee
$240 for installation of the front seat is like robbing the bank.

It is a easy bolt-on installation. The whole seat replacement would take only a few minutes.
When you install a seat track assembly you only get the frame and motors. You must completely disassemble the seat then reassemble it on the new track. That's what he's talking about. I have done many of these repairs myself. It still take me a good two hours to do it.