Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rotor moved closer after new Wheel bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 03:30 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rotor moved closer after new Wheel bearing???

Had the left front wheel bearing changed on an '94 ES 300.
Upon driving it a few miles a metallic grinding was heard. I disassembled the brakes and found the back of the rotor was rubbing the inboard brake pad clips.

The rotor sits very close (.020) to the inside brake bracket. The shop says the rotor is not sitting closer then before and has no explantion.
The right side rotor is centered between the brake bracket.

Does any mechanic know if or why the hub would settle inboard more with a new bearing then before??? I questioned them about a shim or something that would have moved it out in the center that is missing but they say not.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-10-05, 06:14 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

inboard brake pad clips...I don't understand. I know that the rotor should not have moved...not sure if it CAN be moved even by mistake. The only thing I can think of is that something wasn't installed right thus offsetting the whole assembly....have a look at that bearing again...
Old 05-10-05, 11:00 AM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ssultan
inboard brake pad clips...I don't understand.
The brake bracket (cast iron bracket around the caliper, that the caliper bolts to) has clips on the top and bottom on each side that the brake pads insert into.
These clips have a tab on each side that overhang the bracket to keep them from sliding off.
(If you look at your front brakes thru your wheels you can see the "clips" they are bright plated
with a loop on outside position only)
The rotor is making contact with the tabs (which sit flush) on the inside of the bracket on the inboard position.

I just thought It was odd how close the rotor is now to the bracket vs before. The passenger side is centered between the brake bracket and that bearing was replaced by the Lexus dealer under warrenty a few years ago.

Later,
JU