Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Low coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 12:42 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low coolant light

My coolant light came on a few weeks ago, and as my level was a tad low, and the coolant was a generic, I did a full flush to Toyota long life. However, the past two days, on occasion, when I start driving the car, the light comes on for 30 seconds or so, then goes off. The coolant level has dropped a tad since I flushed it, but it is still about 2 cm from the full line--hardly low at all. What could be the cause of this?

Scott
Old 07-12-05, 04:31 PM
lalaland
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happened to me a week ago, and it was radiator crack and not a very noticable leak until there was steam comming from under the hood and there was water spray marks on the engine from the radiator. got aftermarket all copper radiator to prevent future cracks.

this could be your probem of you can do a search of other threads for leaks, there are tons of them. summer is around the corner, keep an eye on those engine temperatures
Old 07-12-05, 04:42 PM
m23haz
Driver School Candidate

Just replaced my radiator the other day.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169807
Old 07-12-05, 05:25 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

What would cause this? My radiator was replaced not all that long ago by the previous owner.

Scott
Old 07-13-05, 01:14 PM
Lexnorwest
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lalaland
happened to me a week ago, and it was radiator crack and not a very noticable leak until there was steam comming from under the hood and there was water spray marks on the engine from the radiator. got aftermarket all copper radiator to prevent future cracks.

this could be your probem of you can do a search of other threads for leaks, there are tons of them. summer is around the corner, keep an eye on those engine temperatures

lalaland.... where did you get the copper radiator? cost?....... thanks!
Old 07-13-05, 01:37 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fill it back up again and see if it drops. Sometimes there is just air in the system that comes to the top as you drive, usually happens after you flush out your coolant.
Old 07-27-05, 11:14 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

To revisit this problem, I am not sure if I have a leak or not yet--I have to get the car tested. However, I topped it off today, and the light still was coming on occasionally. There has to be an electrical problem or something. What do you think? What part could it be?

Scott
Old 07-27-05, 09:01 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonyman
To revisit this problem, I am not sure if I have a leak or not yet--I have to get the car tested. However, I topped it off today, and the light still was coming on occasionally. There has to be an electrical problem or something. What do you think? What part could it be?

Scott
Its probably best you get your car checked out by a mechanic. But did you read TMaxx s advise to you? it sounds like you haave air bubbles in your system
Old 07-27-05, 09:05 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CantSeeMe
Its probably best you get your car checked out by a mechanic. But did you read TMaxx s advise to you? it sounds like you haave air bubbles in your system
Yes, I did, and that may very well be, but I am also having this electrical problem as well.

Scott
Old 07-28-05, 12:47 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sensors for this type of stuff often don't work as they're supposed to. Coolant being the number one sensor that seems to fail. If I were you I'd drive it as it is and forget about it...you're going to pay way to much to get a feature like that fixed, there are tons of cars on the road without that and its not needed as most cars don't just "lose" coolant. So check it every couple days for a week and fill it back up and if it keeps dropping after that week then you have a leak somewhere.
Old 07-28-05, 12:40 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Sensors for this type of stuff often don't work as they're supposed to. Coolant being the number one sensor that seems to fail. If I were you I'd drive it as it is and forget about it...you're going to pay way to much to get a feature like that fixed, there are tons of cars on the road without that and its not needed as most cars don't just "lose" coolant. So check it every couple days for a week and fill it back up and if it keeps dropping after that week then you have a leak somewhere.
Well I would drive it as is except it is really annoying. Especially at night, as the low coolant light is very bright and draws a lot of attention to itself. Is there a way to clean the sensor, or anything I can do on my own before I have the car looked at?

Scott
Old 07-28-05, 03:17 PM
Luxury Motorworks
Driver

Hi Scott,
Though it is almost impossible to be 100% certain without seeing the vehicle, we have seen this 100's of times to where the coolant level sensor goes bad. The ironic thing is I just got done invoicing a 92 SC400 with the same problem. You are/should be looking to spend around $120 to fix the problem (at least that is what it costs at Luxury Motorworks).

Before you go replacing the coolant level sensor, check the level again. Sometimes you can get an "air bubble" in the cooling system. The coolant level will need to be topped off again.

Call me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
jacen
626-256-4849
Old 07-28-05, 03:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I just spoke to Jacen over the phone, and it sounds like the sensor is at least part of my problem. Thanks again for the help!

Scott
Old 07-30-05, 03:15 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Well sadly, the sensor did not fix my problem. At this point in time, I don't think I have a leak. I think it was just air pockets. However, my light still comes on intermitently as before. This is driving me nuts!

Scott
Old 08-01-05, 12:48 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I have an update for anyone interested. I realized why the light is coming on. When the car is on, the level in the tank drops down to almost nothing. When the car is off, it is at the top, which is why I didn't think I had a leak. Something also seems to be leaking from the car, and I guess it is coolant. However, I am not sure where it is coming from. I am having Lexus look at the car on Thursday for a whole slew of problems, and I will see what they have to say.

Scott