Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Spark Plug Test...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 07:18 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spark Plug Test...

I found a good price on eBay for some Denso Iridium plugs and bought them. I then discovered Steve from Carson Toyota had some TorqueMaster plugs available so I figured that might be a better deal than the Iridiums I just bought on eBay...so I have ordered the TorqueMasters also...

Now I'll have Iridiums and TorqueMasters.....so I figured I'd run a test.

Could I feel any difference between the plugs? I mean TorqueMasters are supposed to have a distinguishable improvement in performance, so I was wondering if I can tell the difference between new Denso Iridiums and the TorqueMasters?

I changed my old plugs (Bosch +4's) this morning to the Denso's. I figured I'd drive the car around for a week or two and get the feel of the Iridiums then put in the TorqueMasters and see if I could feel a difference in performance between the new plugs.

One way or the other I'll post my un-scientific results here.

Last edited by additude; 09-27-05 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-27-05, 08:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

What's so special about the torquemasters? How long will they last compared to Iridiums? & what was the cost of each?

For some reason, I can't seem to access torquemaster's website to get more detailed info. I'm not sure I want these plugs in my car lol

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-27-05 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-27-05, 05:07 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by additude
I found a good price on eBay for some Denso Iridium plugs and bought them. I then discovered Steve from Carson Toyota had some TorqueMaster plugs available so I figured that might be a better deal than the Iridiums I just bought on eBay...so I have ordered the TorqueMasters also...

Now I'll have Iridiums and TorqueMasters.....so I figured I'd run a test.

Could I feel any difference between the plugs? I mean TorqueMasters are supposed to have a distinguishable improvement in performance, so I was wondering if I can tell the difference between new Denso Iridiums and the TorqueMasters? lol

I changed my old plugs (Bosch +4's) (lol @ junk plugs)this morning to the Denso's. I figured I'd drive the car around for a week or two and get the feel of the Iridiums then put in the TorqueMasters and see if I could feel a difference in performance between the new plugs.

One way or the other I'll post my un-scientific results here.
having different plugs wont add hp or add tq.
btw dont ever buy bosh. waist of money.
buddy of mine put bosh plugs in his civic. it failed emisions. i put ngk and it passed.

if i were to put some plugs in any of my cars its ngk. ngk are direct replacements for denso
Old 09-28-05, 02:58 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
having different plugs wont add hp or add tq.
btw dont ever buy bosh. waist of money.
buddy of mine put bosh plugs in his civic. it failed emisions. i put ngk and it passed.

if i were to put some plugs in any of my cars its ngk. ngk are direct replacements for denso
You mean Bosch.
Plugs will not add HP/torque, but fouled/bad/inappropriate plugs will take HP/torque away. There are different aspects to this too - not only do you need to ignite all the fuel, but how the fuel is ignited, speed, flame front, all matter. Plugs are responsible for most of this.
There is nothing inherently wrong with Bosch plugs - they just weren't right for your friend's Civic, and who knows if he had the correct plugs, heat range, etc.
Old 09-28-05, 03:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

good spark plugs of any brand will only give you the HP that you are supposed to get anyway they wont add anything to the mix. thay dont create torque or help the air to flow through the engine any better and they dont provide more gas( boost of any kind)
Old 09-28-05, 03:22 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Use Japanese plugs for a Japanese vehicle would be my suggestion.
Old 09-28-05, 10:27 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
You mean Bosch.
Plugs will not add HP/torque, but fouled/bad/inappropriate plugs will take HP/torque away. There are different aspects to this too - not only do you need to ignite all the fuel, but how the fuel is ignited, speed, flame front, all matter. Plugs are responsible for most of this.
There is nothing inherently wrong with Bosch plugs - they just weren't right for your friend's Civic, and who knows if he had the correct plugs, heat range, etc.
i know what ur saying. but as for my friends bosch plugs. there were oe replacements.
im just simply saying go what most japs use
ngk
denso

even some european cars use ngk. ie passat 1.8t jetta 1.8t. bmw m3 roadster all use ngk
i think its proven fact by the manufactors that ngk is the best
Old 09-29-05, 04:42 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

even some european cars use ngk. ie passat 1.8t jetta 1.8t. bmw m3 roadster all use ngk
i think its proven fact by the manufactors that ngk is the best
Yup, they do.........I rest my case.
Old 04-07-06, 09:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Bringing back thread fromt he dead....

attitude, did you ever finish the test? I'm curious to see what kind of observations you made.
Old 04-07-06, 12:47 PM
additude
Intermediate

I noticed an improvement with the Denso's and didn't notice any difference between the Denso's and the TM's.

I would say either is good performance wise. It would just be a difference of longevity and performance degradation over time.
Old 04-07-06, 12:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Your last post on this forum was back in october. How are you able to stay quiet for so long?
Old 04-08-06, 03:16 AM
additude
Intermediate

The answer to that is work. I own my own business, two businesses actually and I go to bed at 9PM and get up between 3AM and 4AM 7 days a week.

Although I did spend 7 days in Colorado for Christmas.

Seriously, I don't get a day off.....

I spaced out posting what happened when I installed the TM plugs....
Old 04-08-06, 01:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

whoa. What kind of business do you own if you dont mind me asking. Hopefully soemthing that relates to the automotive world?
Old 04-08-06, 02:33 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I compared the OEM Denso's with 72,000 miles on them to brand new NGK Iridium IX's, and after 1 week I noticed no change in MPG. Power seems pretty much that same.
Old 04-09-06, 01:47 AM
additude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSteg
whoa. What kind of business do you own if you dont mind me asking. Hopefully soemthing that relates to the automotive world?
I have a small promotional embroidery company, that I pretty much run by myself and a retail upscale womens apparel, accessories and gifts store in the Outer Banks of NC. Mostly resort vacationers that rent the 2 - 15 million dollar homes around here on the beach.

This year I am especially busy because I am moving one of my locations from one building in the shopping complex to another building that is just being built.

To move out of the old business it has to be lease ready, meaning inspections, painting, patching and moving all that stuff to storage until the new building is done. It's got to be move in ready for a new tenant.

Plus I spend pretty much all of January and half of February on the road buying for the stores.

Of course there is a lot more, but owning your own business and being successful takes a lot of work.

For plugs, I would stick with a quality brand name plug that has a long life as mentioned before. The best hype about plugs is how long they will maintain a "new" plug performance level.

NGK or Denso.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Test...