Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 01:25 PM
Mike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem with my paint. the hood and trunk almost seem to have like an overspray on them. I try to wax it, and it is almost impossible to get the wax off, and when I do, it looks all streaked. I don't know what to do. Since the car has no clearcoat, I'm not sure what can be done. I'm wondering if that clay stuff might work. Does anybody know where I can get that stuff? Or any other suggestions. Does any special care have to be take because of no clearcoat?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-17-01, 01:57 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Has it always been this way or did it start recently?

From this distance it sounds like oxidation. If so, I suggest you try some polishing compound somewhere where it's not too noticeable. Just follow the instructions on the compound and don't press hard. Let the compound do the work. All you're looking to do is remove the oxidation, not take the paint down to the primer. After wiping off the compound try the wax again. If I'm right that should do it.

Also, be careful to use polishing compound NOT regular compound. Regular compound is too abrasive.
Old 07-18-01, 01:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Default Coating or Oxidation?

Mike, I know you also posted on the GS thread and got recommendations for Zaino and claying. I think this is a very difficult to do without seeing the paint. If you have some sort of coating on the car. You should try getting it off chemically. The 3M adhesive remover is about as agressive as you should probably get without getting into the paint. If that doesn't do it, you either have something on there that needs to be cut off or oxidation, either way you need to cut down to fresh paint. Problem is, as RealMarty says, this is a touchy operation. Polishing compound is less agressive than rubbing compound. If you can confirm that this improves it, you might want to seek out a good detailer or paint shop and have them rub it out for you. They should have the experience to cut the contaminant or oxidation off but not go all the way through the paint. I have a little different opinion about claying. I think it is really a fine last step clean to get particles off that are fairly well stuck but it will not get you down to fresh paint if that is what needs to be done. I am not really sure how claying works on other contaminants because it really is just sticking the particles in the clay while heavily lubricated so you don't scratch the daylights out of the paint while you are getting the particle out. Don't worry about having a contaminent that requires cutting it off or cutting into the paint. It sounds drastic but as long as you have sufficient paint, it is not too big a deal and should have the added benefity of reducing a lot of the orange peel. The concours cars are polished quite a bit, cutting into the paint to level it and get that mirror shine.
Old 07-21-01, 11:12 AM
michaelcorbett3
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem where there seemed to be some overspray but it turned out to be what the detail guy at Lexus called Fallout. Simply put, it's pollution! The dealer got it off with compound and I put on a product called Toughguard sealant/protector afterwards. The car (96 LS400) looks brand new, I swear. No, I do NOT have any personal stake in Toughguard. Just an amazed and satisfied customer.