Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

SC400 pwr steering noise and fluid from reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 02:28 PM
centexgem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC400 pwr steering noise and fluid from reservoir

Today is the first cold (35deg) morning of the year. After driving a few miles I noticed noise when I turned. I opened the hood to find quite a bit of fluid coming from the reservoir. It looks like it is being forced out around the lid. On taking the top off, it is pretty full.
I have read some of the earlier posts and it seems there is a filter in the bottom of the reservoir. If this filter is clogged could it produce this problem?

Thanks Mucho.
And to some of you, 35 seems like a warm day. And it was tuff. I had to drive my wife's 400hp 300zx tt to work.
Old 11-18-05, 05:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the screen or the filter clogged up it will give you this problem. Try to remove the reseroir and clean up the screen/filter. Make sure you check for any power steering fluid leaks from the PS pump and high pressure line.
Old 11-21-05, 09:14 AM
centexgem
Driver School Candidate

Post So I cleaned the PS filter and still getting foam.

I re-installed the reservoir/filter. I filled it then turned the steering lock right to lock left, holding it there for 3 seconds each time, for about 10 times and we still have noise. With the car still running, I removed the reservoir cap and there is foamy fluid surging/pulsing about ever two seconds. There is fluid directly under the reservoir which I had attributed to overflow but now I suspect it may be a hose leak.
Next question: For this foaming action, wouldn't the leak have to be on the low pressure side of the system? It must be sucking air somewhere and a leak on the high pressure side would just blow fluid everywhere emptying the system.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction before I take off a lot of expensive stuff without cause.
Old 11-26-05, 09:35 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Try draining out your old ps fluid and use lucas ps fluid from oriley autoparts. It will cost you 7.00
and that stuff works like magic. I had a similar problem of when it gets cold, my pwr steering
would make noise. But itz because it was low and I failed to open cap to check it, so I bought that Lucas Power Steering Fluid and filled it up to the hot cold line and instantly...no more squealing, squeaks, or noise. Best stuff ever!!
Old 11-30-05, 02:10 PM
centexgem
Driver School Candidate

Default Where to get PS banjo-type connector seals?

So the leak was coming from the back of the PS pump. A little hard to see or reach. I think the high pressure hose fitting is leaking. This is called a banjo type fitting and has a double ring copper seal/washer to seal the bolt which passes through the fitting. I got under the car and removed the banjo fitting and put some gasket seal on the copper seal/washers then replaced it. This seems to have stopped the fluid foaming. However I still have a small leak of fluid on the floor. I checked with a couple of auto parts houses and they said the copper seals were a Lexus dealer item only.
Does anyone know where I could get these seals other than Lexus? Not that I am that cheap but the Lexus dealer is a couple of hours round trip from where I live. I would guess Toyota would use the same seals.
Old 11-30-05, 05:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can order it online from Carsontoyota, one of our vendor with a very good customer service.
Old 12-01-05, 11:44 AM
centexgem
Driver School Candidate

Default OK got the seal

The local Toyota dealer had it for $4 and they knew exactly the part when I said banjo fitting.