Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 12:25 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Seafoam

What's it do? cleans the head or something? what's the point? does it work well? good idea? bad idea? if so why? I hear about a lot of people doing it to their cars but I dunno if I should give it a shot on my 95' SC400. Thanks!
Old 12-15-05, 12:58 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You can use it to clean the throttle body, fuel system, the inside of the crankcase, and intake system. It's suppose to clean the carbon deposit in the engine. I've used it before and had good results. No negative effects that I have found.

I use to have an acura legend and the oil on the car was still new. I poured in some seafoam and ran the car for about 50 miles and changed the oil. When I drained the oil, the oil was BLACK. I guess it took some junk out of my engine. I had 146k miles on the car when I did it. I did experience a better idle, but I dont remember anything else. Then again, I drive like a granny so I doubt I felt any power that is recovered. lol.

Not sure if you should use it. I'm not too informative on the negative effects (if there is any) so I can't really give you a straight answer. If you are a bit hesitant to try it on the lexus, try it out on the impala instead
Old 12-15-05, 12:36 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

O.L.T. started a thread on this a while back and got several pages of replies- be sure to check that thread out.
Old 12-24-05, 01:37 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
You can use it to clean the throttle body, fuel system, the inside of the crankcase, and intake system. It's suppose to clean the carbon deposit in the engine. I've used it before and had good results. No negative effects that I have found.

I use to have an acura legend and the oil on the car was still new. I poured in some seafoam and ran the car for about 50 miles and changed the oil. When I drained the oil, the oil was BLACK. I guess it took some junk out of my engine. I had 146k miles on the car when I did it. I did experience a better idle, but I dont remember anything else. Then again, I drive like a granny so I doubt I felt any power that is recovered. lol.

Not sure if you should use it. I'm not too informative on the negative effects (if there is any) so I can't really give you a straight answer. If you are a bit hesitant to try it on the lexus, try it out on the impala instead
i myself also have a acura Legend.... i put some Seafoam in the engine/gas and i guess it did clean it out somewhat... i been reading on this site that you can also put it in the PVC holes of a lexus.... so i'm wondering if i should do that or not on the Legend.. if so..

i start the car for 15 minut or when it's in normal temp.. and put the PVC hose in a cup of seafoam and have it suck it up from there and after all the seafoam is gone.. turn off the car and wait 5 minuts then start the car again and take it for a drive and change the PCV valve after 50miles??..
Old 12-25-05, 10:48 AM
LexAtlanta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Seafoam a couple of times. I took off the brake booster hose and sucked it into the engine that way. The PCV hose will also work. Once the can was empty (about 8 seconds) I shut it off, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then started it up. (If you do this type of clean out be sure to have your garage door and all your windows closed.) Upon starting the engine it smoked....a lot....a whole lot...kinda like the car was on fire. It got so bad I had to drive the car around for a few minutes until the smoke subsided.

It worked. The car ran better afterwards. After the treatment I changed the plugs and did a regular tune up.

You can also add it to your gas tank where it will act like a regular cleaner. It only smokes if you suck into the intake as described above.
Old 01-04-06, 10:24 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

That's a very bad idea. A full can at once has enough to hydrolock the engine - which can destroy anything in the bottom end.

It happened to a 3.4L 5vz-fe. Notoriously overbuilt engine...

Only suck up 1/3 for a 6 cyl, or 1/2 the can for the v8's.

Yes it will clean the pistons, combustion chamber, valves & immediate area in the exhaust port. it does so very well.

You can also put it in with your oil for awhile to kill off some sludge.