Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

My car hates me - weird electrical problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 11:19 AM
lridearch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car hates me - weird electrical problem...

my 95 ES300 is doing some weird things...the stereo and environmental control unit keep shutting off and not coming back on. It rarely happens when I'm driving, its always when i start the car, the car starts but the stereo/environ. unit wont turn on. so i turn the key on and off anywhere from 2 to 200 times and sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesnt. i notice if i slam the brakes it will wink out while its running...and vice versa, come back when i stomp the gas. Im guessing its some loose wire, probably a ground...i say this because i cant find any other electrical link between the stereo and the environ unit, they have separate fuses...i have checked those fuses and they are ok....there is one fuse under the passenger kick panel that i cant quite reach, and the manual says it regulates ONLY the environ unit...im guessing maybe the radio gets a feed there too...

my questions then are...does anyone know where this ground is??? i know its a shot in the dark, but im hoping maybe someone had a similar problem....

and if i cant find it, can i splice the harness and manually ground these two units? i will have to find a wiring diagram, but its driving me NUTS and i need to fix this problem.

thanks ahead to any who can help...

Eric
Old 01-15-06, 11:49 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lridearch
my 95 ES300 is doing some weird things...the stereo and environmental control unit keep shutting off and not coming back on. It rarely happens when I'm driving, its always when i start the car, the car starts but the stereo/environ. unit wont turn on. so i turn the key on and off anywhere from 2 to 200 times and sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesnt. i notice if i slam the brakes it will wink out while its running...and vice versa, come back when i stomp the gas. Im guessing its some loose wire, probably a ground...i say this because i cant find any other electrical link between the stereo and the environ unit, they have separate fuses...i have checked those fuses and they are ok....there is one fuse under the passenger kick panel that i cant quite reach, and the manual says it regulates ONLY the environ unit...im guessing maybe the radio gets a feed there too...

my questions then are...does anyone know where this ground is??? i know its a shot in the dark, but im hoping maybe someone had a similar problem....

and if i cant find it, can i splice the harness and manually ground these two units? i will have to find a wiring diagram, but its driving me NUTS and i need to fix this problem.

thanks ahead to any who can help...

Eric
go buy ur self a repair manual. or if u want lexus get the ewd.