Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

RX 300 break problem. HELP SOON PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 08:18 PM
wolffy_k3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 300 break problem. HELP SOON PLEASE

I have a 2001 RX 300 AWD and I was doing a break job on them. I first replaced the rear rotors and pads and bled the lines. Then the next day(did not drive during whole install) I started the front. Again I replaced the front rotors and pad and bled the lines. I go to drive it and it has a horrible screaching sound. Now I know there is period for them to wear down that small bit but this was awful and it felt like one of the wheels was loose.

I take it back to the garage and the rear lugs are all loose. ( I have been working on cars for years and I did tighten them in the air and then when on the ground) I checked that the rotors were lined up with that rubber plug and the larger whole on the the part that has the lugs. I lined both sides and tried to drive again.

Now I can only drive it about 10 feet and that is with giving it gas. You should be able to have it in drive or reverse and it moves by itself slowly but you need to really give it gas.

BTW the parking break is off.( I checked that first) I really need some help soon. My wife comes home tomorrow and she will need it. Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.

Nathan Wolff
Old 01-21-06, 09:19 AM
LexFather

moved to here
Old 01-21-06, 01:43 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolffy_k3
I have a 2001 RX 300 AWD and I was doing a break job on them. I first replaced the rear rotors and pads and bled the lines. Then the next day(did not drive during whole install) I started the front. Again I replaced the front rotors and pad and bled the lines. I go to drive it and it has a horrible screaching sound. Now I know there is period for them to wear down that small bit but this was awful and it felt like one of the wheels was loose.

I take it back to the garage and the rear lugs are all loose. ( I have been working on cars for years and I did tighten them in the air and then when on the ground) I checked that the rotors were lined up with that rubber plug and the larger whole on the the part that has the lugs. I lined both sides and tried to drive again.

Now I can only drive it about 10 feet and that is with giving it gas. You should be able to have it in drive or reverse and it moves by itself slowly but you need to really give it gas.

BTW the parking break is off.( I checked that first) I really need some help soon. My wife comes home tomorrow and she will need it. Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.

Nathan Wolff
Before putting the calipers back(front and rear) did you clamp the pistons all the way down? Especially before bleeding? Let's hope that none of the pistons are seized....Good luck!!!!
Old 01-21-06, 06:10 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure that the backing plate not rubbing against the rotor. Sometmes you accidentlyy hit the backing plate and bend it. You have to find out where the noise is coming from and go from there. Good luck.