Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brake Bleeding with Hand Pump System

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 09:13 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding with Hand Pump System

Has anyone used one of those brake bleeding systems that you put brake fluid into a container that has a pump handle on it and then attach it to your master cylinder? It looks like a very slick system that would make bleeding the brakes a very quick project. Would it matter what car you have to use this sytem? A friend of mine who owns a Porsche 930 Turbo, bleeds his brakes with one of these and will let me barrow it. Thanks.
Old 01-25-06, 09:26 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

This hand pump would work but does take a while to get the fluids out. Make get rid of the bubbles before closing the line.
JPi
Old 01-27-06, 08:59 PM
Teh Slayer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Has anyone used one of those brake bleeding systems that you put brake fluid into a container that has a pump handle on it and then attach it to your master cylinder? It looks like a very slick system that would make bleeding the brakes a very quick project. Would it matter what car you have to use this sytem? A friend of mine who owns a Porsche 930 Turbo, bleeds his brakes with one of these and will let me barrow it. Thanks.
I've used a MityVac MV6380 pressure bleeder system before; this is one that hooks up to a compressed air source and works very fast and does a very thorough job. However, you do need an air compressor. The more economical choice is probably the Mityvac 07220, which is basically a hand pump type of the MV6380 and costs about $40-$50...

To get as much of the old fluid out as possible...empty the brake fluid reservoir with the Mityvac vaccum and refill completely before proceeding with brake bleeding.
Old 02-03-06, 11:06 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Try Speedbleeder caliper screws. When you use pressure bleeder that doesn't isolate the compressed air from brake fluid, you pump air into fresh brake fluid.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185967
Old 02-05-06, 01:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I'd try and take the simplier approach. Find someone to pump the pedal while you bleed the fluid out. I was about 7 when a neighbor came over and asked if I could step/pump the brake pedal. These days, I get the Mrs. and I'm usually done in less than 20 minutes.
Old 02-16-06, 03:11 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have used the mity-vac as well, nothing works like speedbleeders, I install them on every car I buy!
Old 02-16-06, 06:43 PM
slo86
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your lonely like i am you can bleed the brakes by yourself. it can be a little time consuming getting in and out of the car everytime the reservoir needs to be filled. all you need is a clear plastic tube and clear glass bottle.
Old 02-19-06, 06:55 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone else out there with Speedbleeder experience. Looks like a pretty slick way of doing it. Thanks TunedRX300 for the link.
Old 02-19-06, 07:03 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

TunedRX300 I have one more question for you. The rubber connector and hose you purchased. Does it snap on to make a seal? I mean, if it connects up like a seal then there would never be a problem with any air getting back into the system if for some reason the one way valve does not trap shut quickly enough. According to the link to the BMW guy in your "How To" link, his problem with the Speedbleeders was that he did not feel confident the one way valve closed fast enough and a small amount of air would get into the system before the valve closed. Any feeling on this?