Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

check engine light help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 01:48 PM
sexilexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light help

Is there any way my PO446 code could be related to my starting problem? Sometimes the check engine light goes off on its own and it seems to start okay then. I can't see how they are related but they seem to occur together for a while now.
Old 01-31-06, 03:18 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

P0446 is related to emission " Evaporative emission control system malfunction) and it's got to do with your charcoal canister or related item. This code can caused by a loose gas cap, loose evap hose or just a sensor malfunction. It's got nothing to do with your starting problem.
Old 01-31-06, 06:16 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVT-i
P0446 is related to emission " Evaporative emission control system malfunction) and it's got to do with your charcoal canister or related item. This code can caused by a loose gas cap, loose evap hose or just a sensor malfunction. It's got nothing to do with your starting problem.
its not always a loose gas cap. before telling him what to do need to find out what year and what make the car is
Old 02-01-06, 05:17 AM
sexilexi
Driver School Candidate

Its a 99 ES300. The problems seem to occur together and I can't figure out why. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-06, 07:24 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sexilexi
Its a 99 ES300. The problems seem to occur together and I can't figure out why. Thanks for your help.
replace the canaster
Old 02-02-06, 09:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To answer your questions and without getting into it too deep, yes-it is possible they are related. Could be many things with your evaporative system which could cause a variety of problems from stumbling, dying at idle, poor overall running, and difficulty starting under certain conditions. P0446 could also be a minor issue that triggered the code and is not the cause of your starting problem. Best bet is to do a under hood inspection of all of the small hoses from the intake system. If everything appears ok, then you need to look further into it such as gas cap, canister, valve,etc…..
Old 02-07-06, 06:49 AM
sexilexi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. Once it starts it seems to run just fine. I do notice an air leak sound (vacuum leak?) under the hood when I turn the car off.
Old 02-07-06, 08:09 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First check for a green plastic cap loose in your evap system. Refer to the vacuum routing diagram sticker under the hood. This is your evap system test port. Don't overtighten, as the cap may crack. Just snug, there's a rubber seal inside. On mine, it's located just behind and to the car center of the air filter... inside left corner looking at the air filter container box. The cap is comparable in size to the grey A/C high and low test port caps..
The engine cover can be removed by unscrewing the "L" in it's center, and the 5mm allen nuts. Lift off the cover and carefully inspect your vacuum connections, comparing to the vacuum hose diagram sticker under the hood. Listen for the leak with the cover removed. I've found that gently breaking the hose edge loose prior to twisting the hose on it's nipple minimizes nipple breakage. But, the plastic may be brittle, so don't mess with them unless you hear a leak. The Vacuum Control Valves (VCV) are costly.
Old 02-07-06, 06:31 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
replace the canaster
Just replace the canister..huh???. What about those VSV on top of the intake, cracked hose or loose evap hose by the air filter housing.?

Oh, BTW, I looked up on his profile before I've posted my first reply.
Old 02-07-06, 07:01 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Just replace the canister..huh???. What about those VSV on top of the intake, cracked hose or loose evap hose by the air filter housing.?

Oh, BTW, I looked up on his profile before I've posted my first reply.
so true.
Old 02-08-06, 11:25 AM
sexilexi
Driver School Candidate

Okay, now it won't start at all and the starter is making a loud pop every time I try to crank it.
Old 02-08-06, 11:33 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sexilexi
Okay, now it won't start at all and the starter is making a loud pop every time I try to crank it.
With the limited information I have on your situation I would say that the error code has nothing to do with that.

Smell anything under the hood? Battery charged? Load test? Battery cables to starter ok?
Any funny noises from starter before?
Old 02-08-06, 12:15 PM
sexilexi
Driver School Candidate

The battery is brand new. Cables look okay as far as I can tell. The starter pops pretty loud just once when I try to start it. In the past when it had trouble starting it might have made a slight single click, but it always started after a few tries.
Old 02-08-06, 12:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Well at this time without the car in front of me all I can go off of is your posts.
But first thing I would do is check the battery (regardless if it is new-could be drained). or put it in another car to ensure it starts up the car fine. Once that is out of the equation and you are sure the starter is making the noise, then I would suspect the starter. Diagnostics is a process of elimination and dismissing items because they are new ,etc. may prolong with process.
if you suspect the starter you can have it bench tested at an Kragen or Autozone.
Should be fairly easy to get to in your car.
Old 02-08-06, 01:50 PM
sexilexi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it's not the battery because I also tried to jump start it with one of those portable battery jump things and nothing changed. I'm going to use a voltmeter to the starter and see if its getting any juice.

Quick Reply: check engine light help