Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

removing ignition key cylinder? (pics inside) Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 02:36 PM
sdastg1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing ignition key cylinder? (pics inside) Need Help

I lost the only key I had for my sc400.

the locks had been previously rekeyed so the key code I pulled from the VIN doesn't work. I pulled the locks from the doors as well as the trunk and they are missing tabs for the lock smith to completely remake another key. The key he did make me fits all the locks now, but not the ignition cylinder.

I've already pulled apart the dash, and I've isolated the cylinder. But now I can't figure out what bolts I need to remove in order to pull it out.

Here is a pic of the lock cylinder

here is a pic of the lock cylnder connecting to the steering column. The steering column is on the left side of the pic. The bottom of the pic is the back of the lock cylnder.

here is a close up of the bar (at the tip of the arrows) that connects to the steering column. Steering column on the left, and lock cylnder on the right.

So how do I remove the cylinder? Is there any other precautions I should take?

thanks
Old 01-31-06, 03:15 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to turn the key cylinder to ACC position and look for a small hole on the iginition key housing. I believe on the SC the release hole is locate on the top part of the housing. Then use a small pick push down the release and pull out the ignition key at the same time. But since you don't have the key that will work with the ign key then you may have to get the new iginition cylinder and destroy the old one.

The key code is located on the passenger door lock cylinder.
Old 01-31-06, 03:19 PM
sdastg1
Driver

the small hole is located on the bottom of the cylinder. I can stick a lexus key into the cylinder .. but it doesn't turn. Will this method still work?

the key code on the pass cyl doesn't work .. that was the first thing I tried.

thanks for the quick response
Old 01-31-06, 03:46 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to turn the ign key to ACC position in order release the locking pin. At this point I don't know what to say bro. Another way is to use a small punch and tap the locking pin so the locking pin will push inside this way you will be able to remove cylinder. It's not the best way, but may be the only way. Good luck.
Old 01-31-06, 03:49 PM
sdastg1
Driver

ok I'll see what I can do in the morning.

thank you again
Old 01-31-06, 04:42 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the small pointed round bolt with no head, you have to take a screwdriver and wack it with a hammer so it turns, remove both of them, and the key cylinder housing will come off, and then take to a locksmith.

you cannot turn to acc without a key, so the release method will not work.
Old 01-31-06, 08:33 PM
sdastg1
Driver

As Gazi suggested via IM, I used a dremel and made a notch in the screw so that I could fit a screwdriver onto the bolt. It didnt work .. I think the screw is made of aluminum either that or it has lock tite in there. As soon as I would turn the screw driver one side of the screw would just twist off. So I ended up just drilling it. I have one drilled out. The other I'll do in the morning. But my feeling is there is still something it's attached to inside the steering column .. it feels way too solid.

I really hope I don't have to take the steering column apart.

Last edited by sdastg1; 01-31-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 11:20 PM
sdastg1
Driver

well I couldn't just let it go .. I went back and drilled out the other flat head screw as well .... nothing! the thing won't even budge. Its attached insde the steering column somewhere .... this sucks
Old 02-01-06, 10:50 PM
sdastg1
Driver

well instead of messing with the steering column, I went ahead and drilled out the lock cylinder. This is what is left of it:

This is a close up of the opening if the cylinder. I used a combo of screw driver/hammer, dremel, and drill bit set.

This is the metal casing still intact:

This is a fun little tid bit I learned. On the back of the casing is this little grey switch pictured below. Using a screw driver, you could start the car just by turning the switch. I didn't try it since all of the plugs under my dash are unplugged, and I didn't want to create a new problem for myself. But I'm pretty sure it'll work.

This is what my work space looks like. This is a process I wouldn't wish on anyone. So please learn from my experience and have a spare key made.

Gazi is sending me a new key cylinder in the morning. Which I'll just have rekeyed to fit the key that I had made for all the other locks. Hopefully, this will put an end to this little fiasco.
Old 02-15-06, 03:10 PM
sdastg1
Driver

ok well I got the key cylinder back in last week, and everything worked fine. While I had the car in the garage I went ahead and changed fluids, and brake pads.

I go to pull the car out of the garage and the steering wheel is locked up and won't unlock. Any ideas on how to get it to unlock?

thanks