Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Redline Water Wetter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 04:43 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Redline Water Wetter

Is anyone currently using (or has used in the past) Redline Water Wetter in their cooling system?

I've heard it's pretty good stuff & am considering giving it a try in my ES & Forester. Any feedback on the subject is appreciated.
Old 03-06-06, 05:36 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you use a good quality antifreeze, designed for your cooling system, it should be all you need. Sometimes one can add too many different chemicals, defeating the purpose...
"If it's not broke ..."
There could be a lot of down sides...all costing the owner time and moneys. And, of course, good luck determining exactly what caused a cooling system failure, as it takes a while.. Additive companies depend on this, since they are rarely if not never held accountable...
Old 03-06-06, 06:29 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Tammy
If you use a good quality antifreeze, designed for your cooling system, it should be all you need. Sometimes one can add too many different chemicals, defeating the purpose...
"If it's not broke ..."
There could be a lot of down sides...all costing the owner time and moneys. And, of course, good luck determining exactly what caused a cooling system failure, as it takes a while.. Additive companies depend on this, since they are rarely if not never held accountable...
Looking for feedback from folks who actually have used it & their impressions.
Old 03-06-06, 10:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Looking for feedback from folks who actually have used it & their impressions.
I have used it for sometime in my RX300. I had tried another liquid from Nology call NotHot but had to use two bottles to get any response of any kind. WaterWetter works with one bottle and I could notice that my cooling mark on the temp gauge lowered slightly as I ran without it for a week after I had my TRD Theromstat (in addition to my Tom's Radiator Cap) after a week. I cannot put a precise estimate on this, but at the track, I can run 15 minutes longer getting good times solid times.

At my high altitude of 7,400 feet at the track (8,000 where I live), I need all the cooling help I can get.

Until I find something better, I am going to keep using it.
Old 03-07-06, 03:38 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have used it for sometime in my RX300. I had tried another liquid from Nology call NotHot but had to use two bottles to get any response of any kind. WaterWetter works with one bottle and I could notice that my cooling mark on the temp gauge lowered slightly as I ran without it for a week after I had my TRD Theromstat (in addition to my Tom's Radiator Cap) after a week. I cannot put a precise estimate on this, but at the track, I can run 15 minutes longer getting good times solid times.

At my high altitude of 7,400 feet at the track (8,000 where I live), I need all the cooling help I can get.

Until I find something better, I am going to keep using it.
Thanks for the info Lexmex. So you use the whole bottle huh? Does that effect the level of your coolant significantly? I was planning to use only a half bottle.....the other half for my wife's car......as per the amount needed based on capacity & Redline instructions.
Old 03-07-06, 09:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Thanks for the info Lexmex. So you use the whole bottle huh? Does that effect the level of your coolant significantly? I was planning to use only a half bottle.....the other half for my wife's car......as per the amount needed based on capacity & Redline instructions.
I would still use one bottle per car. My RX takes like 9 liters of coolant/water so to speak and that one bottle really shows it effect.
Old 03-07-06, 09:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I would still use one bottle per car. My RX takes like 9 liters of coolant/water so to speak and that one bottle really shows it effect.
How often to you put it in (time & mileage)?
Old 03-07-06, 09:44 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used water wetter on my turbo cars in the past and it worked great. I plan on using water wetter in the gs this summer.
1 bottler per car with distilled water.
Old 03-07-06, 11:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I change my coolant out once a year and that is when I add the WaterWetter. However, many of my buddies at the track that use this product add it every 6 months.

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-07-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 11:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I used it when i had my 240sx with sr20 swap I noticed a very small drop in temperature.
Old 03-08-06, 04:37 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

Any comments about using the WW in cold climates? I've been told on another car site that it should not be used in cold areas during the winter.
Old 03-08-06, 07:45 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to run WW straight with just water for the track in my old mustang. Worked great. I never used it in the winter as I never drove the stang in winter.
Old 03-08-06, 07:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I use it in my GS with no issues. Always concerned about developing too much heat with the supercharger. No issues in winter, but it doesn't get super cold in NC.
Old 03-08-06, 08:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I dont see the use of Water Wetter if youre not forced induction where heat can be an issue. From an N/A point of view I dont see any benefits from running a cooler engine, a car engine isnt like a CPU or a graphics card where lower temp = better
Old 03-08-06, 02:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I dont see the use of Water Wetter if youre not forced induction where heat can be an issue. From an N/A point of view I dont see any benefits from running a cooler engine, a car engine isnt like a CPU or a graphics card where lower temp = better
True, it may not show its effect on an NA vehicles as opposed to anything where high airflow is involved, but consider where I live in Mexico City, over 7,000+ feet and 8,000 where I actually live.

Since water evaporates much quicker in the cooling system up here, a product like Water Wetter has greater value for NA vehicles.

Quick Reply: Redline Water Wetter