Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine Light Indicator On

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 06:00 PM
ATLSTAR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Light Indicator On

I'm a new Lexus owner (Purchased a re-sale RX300). I just had an oil change and two days later the engine light indicator came on! Also, the air is not blowing cold! Any suggestions as to what this could be from you experienced owners? The engine indicator light is Not blinking. please help with your possible solutions...thanks
Old 03-12-06, 10:47 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ATLSTAR
I'm a new Lexus owner (Purchased a re-sale RX300). I just had an oil change and two days later the engine light indicator came on! Also, the air is not blowing cold! Any suggestions as to what this could be from you experienced owners? The engine indicator light is Not blinking. please help with your possible solutions...thanks
first off we need the dtc
Old 03-13-06, 06:56 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome.....

This is the Diagnostic Trouble Code.. Go to your local Autozone and have the code read from the port at the bottom of the dash, near the steering column and to the rear of brake pedal. With this code, we can provide accurate interpretation for you.

A couple common symptoms that may cause Check Engine is a loose fuel fill cap.. bad or missing "O ring" seal on this cap.

If they checked your air filter, the rubber hose attached to the rear and below the air cleaner may be disconnected. It connects to a metal tube coming from the fuel charcoal canister. This is common if the upper filter case is raised too high while removing the air filter element. It should only be reised a couple of inches, enough to just slip out the filter element.

Additionally, more information may be provided by using the forum search engine.. suggesting "RX Check Engine Light"
Old 03-30-06, 07:04 AM
ATLSTAR
Driver School Candidate

the codes from autozone are P-0440, P-0441 and P0446. I was told to purchase a gas cap. the light came back on after about two days. I did have an oil change right before the engine light started so, maybe they checked tghe air filter and did not replace the tube. I'll have this checked.

thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-06, 11:15 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Using the search engine above, I searched on P0440; then 0441; and finally 0446....

One of our advisors (Lexmex) posted this on P0440 Error...

I have my service manual and it lists the following as troubles under P0440:

1) Check whether hose close to fuel tank has been modified, and check whether there are signs of any accident near the fuel tank or charcoal canister

2) Check that the fuel tank cap is Lexus genuine part

3) Check that fuel tank cap is correctly installed

4) Check fuel tank cap (see page EC-5) not much different from above

5) Check filler neck for damage (area under fuel tank cap)

6) Check vacuum hoses between vapor pressure sensor and VSV for vapor pressure sensor, and VSV for vapor pressure sensor and charcoal canister

7) Check hose and tube between fuel tank and charcoal canister

8) Check charcoal canister for cracks, hole and damage

9) Check voltage between terminals VC and E2 of ECM connector

10) Check voltage between terminals PTNK and E2 of ECM connectors

11) Check for open and short in harness and connector between vapor pressure sensor and ECM

12) Check fuel tank for cracks and damage

Last edited by Tammy; 03-30-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 05:23 PM
ATLSTAR
Driver School Candidate

Wink

thanks tammy....i'm still trying to figure out how to use this site. I'm taking your response to my mechanic. I'll let you know what happens!
Old 04-03-06, 09:06 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tammy
Using the search engine above, I searched on P0440; then 0441; and finally 0446....

One of our advisors (Lexmex) posted this on P0440 Error...

I have my service manual and it lists the following as troubles under P0440:

1) Check whether hose close to fuel tank has been modified, and check whether there are signs of any accident near the fuel tank or charcoal canister

2) Check that the fuel tank cap is Lexus genuine part

3) Check that fuel tank cap is correctly installed

4) Check fuel tank cap (see page EC-5) not much different from above

5) Check filler neck for damage (area under fuel tank cap)

6) Check vacuum hoses between vapor pressure sensor and VSV for vapor pressure sensor, and VSV for vapor pressure sensor and charcoal canister

7) Check hose and tube between fuel tank and charcoal canister

8) Check charcoal canister for cracks, hole and damage

9) Check voltage between terminals VC and E2 of ECM connector

10) Check voltage between terminals PTNK and E2 of ECM connectors

11) Check for open and short in harness and connector between vapor pressure sensor and ECM

12) Check fuel tank for cracks and damage
9)where is the ecm connector. and what terminals they are
10) what 9 said

more than likly the canister.
Old 08-09-12, 12:40 PM
rxhound
Driver School Candidate

I too had all three codes on my 2002 rx300- I found a hose unattached, the clip was loose. I reatteached to the obvious counterpart and it has not come back on. it was kind of behind the MAF. behind and below. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 09-28-12, 12:32 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I have a similar problem to the OP's. I recently purchased this car, an 01' gs430 with 55k on the odo. I recently changed the oil to mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30 and two days later (being today) my check engine light came on. I hooked up a little diagnostic thingy and it gave me this P0440 code. My concern lies with the fact that I noticed it after I put the pedal to the floor leaving my neighborhood, could this have caused it or am I just thinking to much of it? Is it more than likely just a hose or something that's loose? Any advice would be much appreciated. I will try to check the above mentioned solutions and see what turns up. T.I.A

NVM, I checked another thread and turns out my EVAP line with a green cap at the drivers side of the valve cover came loose and was disconnected. Although it probably did come loose from me flooring it which makes me wonder if I need new motor mounts???

Last edited by sLOWaristo; 09-28-12 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Cuz I'm an idiot