Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Mechanic in Western Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 11:28 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic in Western Michigan

Hey all,

I just moved to the south western part of Michigan, just south of Muskegon. Now I need to find a mechanic that I can trust to service my LS400. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Muskegon, Holland, or Grand Rapids area. Any references would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03-14-06, 01:05 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey I live in Grand Rapids, MI and l've always brought my car to Harvey Lexus. If you come across something let me know. I had to LS400s but now I've got a GS400. Harvey has always done a good job and compared to other Lexus dealerships around the country and in MI they are the cheapest. Plus they give you a loaner car which is nice. I'd like to find a good independant shop that is cheaper. But I've had no luck yet I'm gonna put all new pads and rotors on in the next couple weeks myself. Doesn't seem too hard just nuts and bolts and use the right tools.
Brian

Last edited by GUNRU-GS4; 03-14-06 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 04:05 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I found this thread about Harvey pre-sales. No indications one way or another about service, though.

It would be nice to find a reputable independant mechanic in this area. I did find out some information on the web about Prestige Imports (http://www.prestigeimport.com), but have no idea if they do good work. I have a hard time justifying dealer prices on my 8 year-old LS400. Having a loaner would be nice, though.

Last edited by Brian S; 03-15-06 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-15-06, 04:36 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

I have spoke with Prestige and they are still pretty high. But they have a good reputation for good work. There is also a place called Community Automotive Repair and they are an import repair shop. A guy I work with brings his BMW there and they are priced better than the dealer and do good work. I know of other people that go there too with Benz, Audi, BMW. But the BMW and Benz dealers are already priced higher then Lexus so for him its a deal. But when I called about some pricing they were about the same price as Lexus. So I'm still on the search.
Old 03-15-06, 05:22 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info. on the Grand Rapids shops. Do you have much experience with other Lexus dealers versus Harvey? If so, do you find them to priced similarly or lower than the others?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03-15-06, 05:52 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

I have called and priced Lexus of Lansing and Lexus of Ann Arbor and Harvey is cheaper than both of them. From talking to people on CL and reading posts I think Harvey must be one of the cheapest Lex dealers for service.
Old 03-15-06, 12:54 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I got a pretty good vibe from a local import mechanic in the area, so I'm going to let them have a look at the car. They are Automotive Advantage in Grand Haven (http://www.auto-adv.com/).He has been maintaining a customer's 2000 LS400 with 300,000, so hopefully that is a good indication. He says they have yet to replace the ball joints on that LS.

He quoted $100 a side to replace the ball joints, parts included. But he said they are going to have a better look and hopefully see exactly what is causing the clunk. Supposedly, he also has a listening device that he can attach to the parts to see exactly what is defective.

I hope this place impresses. If not, then I will probably be off to Harvey Lexus in Grand Rapids, per your recommendation.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 03-21-06, 01:17 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

My car is back from Automotive Advantage. The news is good. Instead of expecting to replace ball joints and other bushings, etc. and estimating to spend $500-$1,500, I got away spending $60. The clunking noise I thought was at least ball joints turned out to be a loose "left radius rod". They spent several hours troubleshooting the noises, and narrowed it down to that rod thanks to an electronic device they connect to the parts. Apparently, the device senses noise when they test drive to rule out possible causes.

He was persistent in trying to rid the noise. It initially came back after he torqued the bolt, so he loosened the bolt, and re torqued all of the chassis and suspension bolts in the area, and the noise stayed away. He says the ball joints and everything else look a little worn, but overall okay. I'm very satisfied overall. He was honest and up front, and didn't go out of his way to try to sell me on more repairs, and in fact told me more repairs were not necessary, despite my continued prodding.

I will probably get my tranny fluid and power steering fluid changed out with them. A tranny flush and fill is $175 with Toyota type fluid and $30 more for synthetic (is synth. worth it?) and $99 for a power steering fluid change. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,

Brian