Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GS400 Maintenance - What / Where? Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 06:46 PM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS400 Maintenance - What / Where? Help Please...

I have a 2000 GS 400 with very low mileage. About 10,500. Not driven very much, but when driven it is driven very hard. I basically do Mobile 1 Oil changes once per year since the car is only driven in the summer months. Basically the car was a garage queen. I have decided to make it my daily driver starting this spring.

What recommendations can any of you offer for maintenance? I have never taken the car in for any scheduled dealer maintenance.

I am confused on whether I should take into account the mileage or the age of the car when it comes to what maintenance is needed.

Any recommendations for dealers in the Detroit area would be great as well. I am not super happy with the Southfield dealer service when I go there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MIKE
Old 03-16-06, 06:58 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike,

I think you should take the age into account more so than the mileage at this point. Stagnant fluids may not do too well after sitting for a year.

I don't really think there is much in the way of maintenance that you need right now. Drive the car for a while and see how she feels before putting unecessary money into maintenance.

This is just my opinion - others may disagree.

Jonny
Old 03-17-06, 06:02 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may want to consider that the fluids are six years old, aside from the oil changes. Brake fluid and coolant changes at least, using Toyota purchased fluids for compatability with the original. Additionally the transmission drain and power steering fluid exchange. The rear differential fluid should be fine for now.

With the vehicle sitting for long periods, rubber dry rot should be addressed... Rotate the tires...

I would brush in rubber preservative on all the boots, bushings and mounts. This will require removing each of the tires and cleaning and preserving everything with rubber, including the axle drive shaft CV boots, inner and outer. Personally, I use a 3/4 inch round sash brush with plastic bristles.. It helps apply into the rubber folds and around bushings or seals nicely. Aerospace 303 (Ace Hardware) or Vinylex (Pep Boys) are a couple of brands I've used and pleased with the results...
Old 03-18-06, 06:12 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default Thanks...

Thanks for your replies....They will help.
As for rotating tires I can not do it as I have directional tires and aftermarket wheels which are wider in the rear than the front.
The rubber preservative is interesting. I will look into it.

Thanks
MIKE
Old 03-18-06, 03:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I think at the minimum I would have ALL the fuilds drained and re-filled due to AGE of fluids..
This is what I would do, if I were in your situation...

You sound like a DIY type of owner, so you should be able to handle all the fluid changing..

Included is:

Engine Oil & Filter
Transmission Fluid
Diffo Fluid
Radiator Coolant
Brake Fluid Flush with a power bleeder
Power Steering Fluid (Optional - if contaminated)

It can't see it being a waste of money.... It will only be good for your GS if you plan on keeping it for another 6 years... and driving it everyday.

You should have your battery tested as well... if you haven't changed it already..

Also, I would recomend to have your front BALL JOINTS inspected... I know they are known to fail and break in some of the High Mileage GS's...
Although your car only has 10,500 miles... It is approx 6 years old..
Did you buy your car in 99'?? if you did it could be 7 years old...

Consider this... In my 2001 IS300, purchased 7-3-00, I have changed the Engine Oil every 5K, the Tranny & Diffo Fluids every 15K, Radiator Coolant, Brake Fluid & engine air filter every 30K miles... (haven't changed the power steering fluid..yet)

I now have 94K Miles... so you can figure how many times I have had my fluids drained and re-filled...
Lately I have been doing my own serving, like fluids and rotating tires... I even did my own spark plugs @ 90k..., which ws pretty easy for me...!

However, just today I had my friends shop, Dynamic Auto Services in So Cal., change my water pump and timing belt... He is a Certified Lexus Master Tech, and I'm glad he did all the work... It would have been too dificult for me, since I never did this type of service on my own... Maybe when I reach 180K.. I will consider doing it my self...

I was actually glad I had time to change my pump this weekend... It already showed signs of leaking and the bearings in the pump were not spinning smoothly after we removed and inspected it!! ...

Good Luck
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-18-06 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 08:48 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spartan
I have a 2000 GS 400 with very low mileage. About 10,500. Not driven very much, but when driven it is driven very hard. I basically do Mobile 1 Oil changes once per year since the car is only driven in the summer months. Basically the car was a garage queen. I have decided to make it my daily driver starting this spring.

What recommendations can any of you offer for maintenance? I have never taken the car in for any scheduled dealer maintenance.

I am confused on whether I should take into account the mileage or the age of the car when it comes to what maintenance is needed.

Any recommendations for dealers in the Detroit area would be great as well. I am not super happy with the Southfield dealer service when I go there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MIKE
change all fluids
Old 03-20-06, 09:36 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default What Brand Fluids?

What brand fluids would you recommend when changing?

Transmission would obviously be the Toyota fluid.
But as far as coolant, differential, and break fluids go would you just recommend the standard Toyota brand stuff?

When you fluch your brake fluid do you ever use the pump method to bleed the breaks? I do not have access to a power flusher.

Thanks for the help.
MIKE

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I think at the minimum I would have ALL the fuilds drained and re-filled due to AGE of fluids..
This is what I would do, if I were in your situation...

You sound like a DIY type of owner, so you should be able to handle all the fluid changing..

Included is:

Engine Oil & Filter
Transmission Fluid
Diffo Fluid
Radiator Coolant
Brake Fluid Flush with a power bleeder
Power Steering Fluid (Optional - if contaminated)

It can't see it being a waste of money.... It will only be good for your GS if you plan on keeping it for another 6 years... and driving it everyday.

You should have your battery tested as well... if you haven't changed it already..

Also, I would recomend to have your front BALL JOINTS inspected... I know they are known to fail and break in some of the High Mileage GS's...
Although your car only has 10,500 miles... It is approx 6 years old..
Did you buy your car in 99'?? if you did it could be 7 years old...

Consider this... In my 2001 IS300, purchased 7-3-00, I have changed the Engine Oil every 5K, the Tranny & Diffo Fluids every 15K, Radiator Coolant, Brake Fluid & engine air filter every 30K miles... (haven't changed the power steering fluid..yet)

I now have 94K Miles... so you can figure how many times I have had my fluids drained and re-filled...
Lately I have been doing my own serving, like fluids and rotating tires... I even did my own spark plugs @ 90k..., which ws pretty easy for me...!

However, just today I had my friends shop, Dynamic Auto Services in So Cal., change my water pump and timing belt... He is a Certified Lexus Master Tech, and I'm glad he did all the work... It would have been too dificult for me, since I never did this type of service on my own... Maybe when I reach 180K.. I will consider doing it my self...

I was actually glad I had time to change my pump this weekend... It already showed signs of leaking and the bearings in the pump were not spinning smoothly after we removed and inspected it!! ...

Good Luck
Joe Z
Old 03-20-06, 11:19 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
What brand fluids would you recommend when changing?

Transmission would obviously be the Toyota fluid.
But as far as coolant, differential, and break fluids go would you just recommend the standard Toyota brand stuff?

When you fluch your brake fluid do you ever use the pump method to bleed the breaks? I do not have access to a power flusher.

Thanks for the help.
MIKE
Hey Mike

Yes - Toyota Type IV Tranny fluid should be the one, but you should double check the dip stick or manual.

Toyota Fluids will be fine for coolant & break fluids... I gallon of coolant and 2 of those small toyota brake fluids should be enough.. but you can buy 3 just in case...
If you have an LSD in your Diffo, you can use a Mobil Synthetic or Royal Purple 75/90w (good for 30k Miles)
If you don't have LSD, you can use any good brand 80/90w differential oil (should be changed every 15K miles)
Diffo only takes approx 1.5 qts, so you will have to buy 2 qts and fill until it starts to spill out of fill the fill hole.

I do not like using the pumping pedal method at all....
A "Power Bleeder" is fairly cheap... It is not electrical... and its very easy to use...
Just pump and build up PSI and old fluid gets pushed through the brake lines when you open each brake line to flush. You then close when you see new fluid flowing out.
I do suggest "turkey basting" as much of the old fluid out of the resoivoir first and then filling it up some new fluid... then the rest of the new fluid goes into the bleeder.
You don't want to push air into the lines.

It looks like this:

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-20-06 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-23-06, 10:16 AM
Spartan
Driver

Smile Thanks...

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
I have a clearer understanding of what I want to do at this point.
I appreciate it.

MIKE