Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Increase MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 10:13 AM
skiptomylo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase MPG

Hi, I just bought a 96 ES300 and this is my first experience with a 6-cyl car. I was wondering if there was anything that I could do to increase the gas mileage on my car. Will any of the following help at all?

a. Spark Plugs
b. Spark Plug wires
c. Better air filter
d. anything at all?

I don't high rev and I drive normally so what else can I do?
Old 03-22-06, 11:47 AM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A and B are good choices depending how long it's been since it was done. A free flowing air filter and exhaust. A transmission service. Couple of treatments of injector cleaner. Synthetic oil couldn't hurt either. Proper air pressure in your tires is important too.
Old 03-22-06, 11:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Probably should direct this to the ES forum or PM Pheonix.
Old 03-22-06, 12:16 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eh, I was just stating that I had a Lexus, but I think this is more of a general question as it can apply to all car owners? Sorry if it was misplaced. is K&N a free flowing air filter?
Old 03-22-06, 01:27 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiptomylo
eh, I was just stating that I had a Lexus, but I think this is more of a general question as it can apply to all car owners? Sorry if it was misplaced. is K&N a free flowing air filter?
K&N would be great choice!
Old 03-22-06, 04:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by skiptomylo
Only reason I mention that you should ask ES is they will give you some specific answers as for some items, somethings work better on other Lexus models (spark plug wires is one) and Pheonix is an expert on ES models.

K&N is a good call, just make sure to wipe off the oil and then reoil the front side or you can wind up getting MAF errors (both of our vehicles our 1MZFE powered with some minor differences).

For spark plugs, take a strong look at TorqueMaster plugs. A lot of Lexus owners use them and they burn the crappy Pemex gasoline (the only gas in Mexico) I use to down here to a crisp and my emissions counts go down and my MPG has gone up. L-Tuned parts, one of our CL providers offers them.

For spark plug wires, best for your vehicle are the ones from Vitek Performance, but I don't know from what I have read that they make a huge difference.

Synthetic oil...definitely...Mobil1 or Amsoil in my book, 5W30 though if you have a lot of miles try 0W-40.

You might also want to check out a Costco and get the air in your tires replaced with nitrogen.

Freeflowing (also known as direct) exhaust is a great idea and you will gain in power with no effect on emissions and minimal noise increase.

For injector cleaner, check out Techron from Chevron or Restore Fuel Injector cleaner (WalMart or any auto parts store should have it).

One thing I get bugged on are compression issues that do eat my MPG and I related partly to the gas down here. Try a can of Restore oil additive (WalMart or auto parts store) on your first oil change and that should do the trick unlike me, where I do it every oil change.

Another maintenance thing is to clean off your MAF sensor (located after your air box and before the throttle body on the ES and RX) with electrical contacts cleaner you can find at Radio Shack. There should be a diode and some wire resistors.

None of the stuff above should affect you CARB wise in California and will actually improve emissions.