Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

changing fuel filter? how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 11:36 AM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing fuel filter? how?

well gas is getting way to $$...so..im trying anyhting i could to save on gas..i did a full tune up when i bought the car last month..but i never changed the fuel filter...its a 92 and i dont thnk the pervious owner ever changed it either..so...
how do i change the fuel filter? is it hard?
also..would changing the spark plugs do anyhting? thanks guys

also..thoes fuel injector cleaners thing..that they sell at kargens and autozone and stuff..the label says it helps u get more gas miles..does thoes really work?

Last edited by LazyAlex; 04-28-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 12:18 PM
Instructor

So you think you have to change the fuel filter? If the car runs fine, it's still pretty good. Those fuel injector cleaners help like a teeny tiny bit. The gas mileage is like almost the same and you won't really notice anything. And I got this from last night's news on how to save gas:

1) Turn off A/C when driving, saves you 15-20% more gas.
2) Switch to Fully Synthetic Oil saves you 3-5% more gas.
3) Going 55 than 75 on freeway saves you 15-20% more gas.

I know it's not much help but at least you could get a little more gas mileage.

Other tips are like if you have a cleaner Air filter, you save more gas, Close your windows to prevent wind drag saves more gas.
Old 04-28-06, 01:01 PM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3000
So you think you have to change the fuel filter? If the car runs fine, it's still pretty good. Those fuel injector cleaners help like a teeny tiny bit. The gas mileage is like almost the same and you won't really notice anything. And I got this from last night's news on how to save gas:

Other tips are like if you have a cleaner Air filter, you save more gas, Close your windows to prevent wind drag saves more gas.

cool thanks man...
Old 04-28-06, 03:21 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhh then when can you use the a/c?? are you saying you save gas when its on and youre at a stand still
Old 04-28-06, 04:02 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

ahhh then when can you use the a/c?? are you saying you save gas when its on and youre at a stand still
Its about "Crank Load" the more crap the engine has to spin the more gas it uses....
It has to spin all the accessories, plus haul the weight of the car, and your butt, down the road.
Turning off the ac while driving lessens the burden on the engine.
At idle it wont matter as much as flooring it from a stop light.

Get ride of the weight from the fan....(go electric).
Turn off the A/C at speed....(roll down the windows).
Old 04-28-06, 04:20 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason I see more and more driver around Atl roll down the window too.... Yeah, turn off the AC will take a lot of load from the engine, but I don't know how much.
Old 04-28-06, 04:28 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Actually driving with all your windows down on the highway isn't going to save you gas mileage compared to driving with them up with A/C on..........wind resistance. I'd rather not sweat
Old 04-28-06, 07:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Actually driving with all your windows down on the highway isn't going to save you gas mileage compared to driving with them up with A/C on..........wind resistance. I'd rather not sweat
There is a fine balance between icreased drag due to windows rolled down, and increased load due to ac cooling.

At stand still, windows down and no-ac will consume less fuel, and then there is a speed at which the drag will cuase more fuel usage than just the AC. I wont get into extra AC usage to reach the desired temprature, when you go through the swings of No AC to AC.

Bottom line ... dont drive or only drive when needed.

Salim
Old 04-28-06, 07:23 PM
deruvian
Driver

Be careful with switching to full synthetic... It tends to make its way through old seals much much better than dino, and then you'll be offsetting what you save from that 0.5 mpg increase with replacing all of your old seals earlier and more rapidly that you would have otherwise. They'll have to be replaced sooner or later, but having to do it unexpectedly and sooner is kind of a *****. Also, as most people know, once you go synthetic you really should not go back to dino.

But I wholeheartedly agree with everything else... Especially getting some electric fans.

Also, if you change the fuel filter, trust me it's better to have a trustworthy mechanic do it. That thing freakin blows to change, and I just ended up wasting fuel and taking it to a mechanic anyway. I've never ever experienced such a ****ty fuel filter process.