Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

New Oil Approved by Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 06:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
See I think doing this kind of thing is nuts. Lexus engineers designed these vehicles to work with the componets and at the temp's they designed into the vehicle. When you start changing these things you do more harm then good. It's like blending your own oil and thinking that since you mixed Mobil 1 with royal purple and a little extra additives you now have a super mix that will make your engine last longer. Just the opposite you have garbage that can harm your engine. Guys leave the auto engineering to the auto engineers.
Don't worry I am nuts

The jury is still out on what I do, but keep in mind my main goal is performance not necessarily endurance. Some mods you have to pay really close attention to, and with most things I do, they are do at your own risk. However, by doing so we understand better the limits of our vehicles.

Thus, everyone benefits from my insanity.
Old 08-18-06, 06:09 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. let the man do what he wants with his car. your post just shows your afraid to mess around with your car. Lexmex obviously isn't.

TunedRX300: what is cSt?
Old 08-18-06, 09:09 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BennySC400
i agree. let the man do what he wants with his car. your post just shows your afraid to mess around with your car. Lexmex obviously isn't.

Centistroke, one of the unit to measure viscosity. cSt is the industry standard, though some labs (such as Blackstone) report in Saybolt Universal Seconds (SUS). PM me if you need to convert SUS to cSt.
Old 08-18-06, 10:31 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

No problem with Lexmax doing his thing, just wanting to let the members that might not "know" that what he is doing is risky with marginal or negative results.
Old 08-18-06, 01:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
No problem with Lexmax doing his thing, just wanting to let the members that might not "know" that what he is doing is risky with marginal or negative results.
Actually you are right on negative results (and that would thus include marginal). With some of my early intake designs, I actually lost power. It is always a work in progress. Another thing that occurs is that when I initially add modifications, the ECM (and those Toyota/Lexus ECMs are a PITA) will attempt to fight and minimalize the gains. It kind of reminds me of slow mountain trek where you slip a little each time up the mountain, but still are a little higher than you were before.
Old 08-18-06, 02:03 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Actually you are right on negative results (and that would thus include marginal). With some of my early intake designs, I actually lost power. It is always a work in progress. Another thing that occurs is that when I initially add modifications, the ECM (and those Toyota/Lexus ECMs are a PITA) will attempt to fight and minimalize the gains. It kind of reminds me of slow mountain trek where you slip a little each time up the mountain, but still are a little higher than you were before.
That is cool that you like to try new things I will be interested to hear what you learn.
Old 08-22-06, 03:38 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Koolaidman on the not feeling that for "all around use" the 5w20 is the better choice.

I'm sticking with 5w30 synthetic all year round and know I don't have to keeping checking the oil level every full tank of gas

see the link
http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm
Old 08-22-06, 04:33 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fern
I'm with Koolaidman on the not feeling that for "all around use" the 5w20 is the better choice.

I'm sticking with 5w30 synthetic all year round and know I don't have to keeping checking the oil level every full tank of gas

see the link
http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm
I suggest you research on synlube's background, and search for independent scientific data to backup their claim.

Here is a thread, just opinions from internet forum members like you and me. But nevertheless it is a start. Enjoy
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=1;t=011708

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-22-06 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 03:58 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Hey TunedRx300,
even though we don't agree on this one, rest assured that I have seen many of your previous posts and your opinions and experiences do deserve merit and respect.

Kudos for TunedRx300 for standing by his posts and please continue to provide other members your valuable input.

Cheers,

Fern
Old 08-25-06, 09:26 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

hey Fern - where in Canada are you located?
Old 08-29-06, 07:21 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

*BUMP*

fern... answer! where you from, in canada? :P

TunedRX: I've got a question for you now. I've been doing alot of oil talking and reading. I understand Castrol Syntec is not a true group 4 (or 5) synthetic, but rather, a group 3 refined petrolium-based oil.

BUT, I have been told (by a few different people, some of which work in this field) that Castrol Syntec 0w30 formula, which says "Made In Germany" on the back is an actual group 4 true synthetic. I also understand that all of Castrol's "synthetic" lines are group 4 in europe, because there it is not legal to call a group 3 a true synthetic.

A) Can you confirm this?

B) What do you have to say about using 0w30? For me, specifically.

I've got a 92' SC400. I've told you this story before, but I don't expect you to remember. Anyways, here goes: for the longest time, my Dad was running Castrol Syntec 5w50 in the SC. Why? Don't ask me. I think he just bought a bunch of cases of it from Costco when it was on sale, and didn't pay attention to the viscosity at all... just saw it was synthetic. So when I noticed this, I immediately discontinued use of this oil, and put in a fresh batch of Miqui-Moly 5w40, which is a class 4 true synthetic. My plan was to ride this oil for a few thousand KM's... say 3000 or so... then do an engline flush and put in some good 5w30 group 4 oil, like Mobil1 or Royal Purple. But then I saw this thread... people talking about 5w20 or even 0w20. But I wasn't too sure if I was comfortable with that idea. So, what about 0w30?
Old 08-29-06, 12:18 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

*BUMP*

fern... answer! where you from, in canada? :P

TunedRX: I've got a question for you now. I've been doing alot of oil talking and reading. I understand Castrol Syntec is not a true group 4 (or 5) synthetic, but rather, a group 3 refined petrolium-based oil.

BUT, I have been told (by a few different people, some of which work in this field) that Castrol Syntec 0w30 formula, which says "Made In Germany" on the back is an actual group 4 true synthetic. I also understand that all of Castrol's "synthetic" lines are group 4 in europe, because there it is not legal to call a group 3 a true synthetic.

A) Can you confirm this?

I've got a 92' SC400. I've told you this story before, but I don't expect you to remember. Anyways, here goes: for the longest time, my Dad was running Castrol Syntec 5w50 in the SC. Why? Don't ask me. I think he just bought a bunch of cases of it from Costco when it was on sale, and didn't pay attention to the viscosity at all... just saw it was synthetic. So when I noticed this, I immediately discontinued use of this oil, and put in a fresh batch of Miqui-Moly 5w40, which is a class 4 true synthetic. My plan was to ride this oil for a few thousand KM's... say 3000 or so... then do an engline flush and put in some good 5w30 group 4 oil, like Mobil1 or Royal Purple. But then I saw this thread... people talking about 5w20 or even 0w20. But I wasn't too sure if I was comfortable with that idea. So, what about 0w30?
You can run any premium 5w30 dino oil in the Lexus V8 engine with the Lexus recommended OCI and your engine will last 300K++ miles with no oil related problems. You don't need to flush your engine, big waste of time and money. If you want to do extended drain interval like say 8-10K miles just run Mobil 1 5w30 and the Lexus filter. Don't play "oil expert" with your engine using oil grades that are not recommended in your owners manual. You will do more harm then good.
Old 08-29-06, 01:21 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

A) Can you confirm this?

I will PM you on A) since I don't want to spark a brand war debate and have this thread closed.

On B), Seems you have a high mileage V8, if you are concerned about sludge/vanish buildup, it is worth to do Auto-RX. I would not use harsh additives. But I don't think you need to flush eninge just to change weight or switch brand. You can check major oil companies' recommendation but so far I don't see any requirement of such procedure. Toyota V8 is pretty much bullet proof in term of wear, so usage of oil is not as critical as us 1mzfe (under sludge extended warranty) owners.
0w30 is actually pretty good oil, if I have to run a 30 weight oil, my first choice would be 0w30. That said, you really have to research on which one is better for your personal preference. For example, SAE weight is a range, you need to check the spec if viscosity is important to you. Mobil reformulated 0w30 when it changed base oil to group IV, its viscosity actually is higher than M1 5w30 at 40 degree C (M1 0w30 used to be lower).
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...bil1_0W-30.asp
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...bil1_5W-30.asp

Amsoil's best oil is 0w30 but I am not comfortable of its 25K oil change interval claim unless I can back it up with UOA for my own driving style and car. It does have one of the highest TBN additive package on the market, but Amsoil oil tend to thicken up as you put on miles on the oil. Even though the oil may have enough acid neutralization additive for your V8, the viscosity may not be what you desire.

Drawback on 0w30 is avaliability, you won't see 0w30 5 quart jar on Walmart's shelf. The same applies to 0w20 and 5w20 oils. The other thing is Mobil does not have Extend Performance (higher TBN) oil for 0w30, 5w20, 0w20 weights, if staying with Mobil is important to you.

As another member posted earlier, Mobil oil and Toyota engine are marriage made in heaven. I would give Mobil 0w30 a try and send a sample for spectro analysis. That will give you peace of mind and a good baseline, if you want to try other brand or 20 weight oil in the future.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-30-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 06:22 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

uh huh, i see

i think the safest bet would be to stick with Mobil1 5w30 and call it a day.

oh, and on a side note, my V8 is NOT high mileage. it's a '92 with only 80,000 miles on it.
Old 09-04-06, 06:56 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

hey Fern - where in Canada are you located?

The city above Toronto.... If you know Ontario you'll know which city is called "the city above Toronto"

Where you from BennySC400
Cheers

Quick Reply: New Oil Approved by Lexus