Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Battery gassing problem.....................

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 03:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Battery gassing problem.....................

I got my original battery replaced by the local Lexus dealer when it was just under 5 years old under warranty or goodwill (not sure which as it was about 2.5 years ago.

I don't drive my car in the winter - so about 4 months it is parked and I keep a trickle charger hooked up to it during that period.

Just this year when I took off the trickle charger and put the car on the road at the beginning of April (and the car started up fine), I noticed that if the car is parked for over a week, the car will not start. I have to get it boosted. However if I drive the car fairly often - almost every day, the battery does not die on me.

However just yesterday, after driving it for about half an hour, it would not start up an hour later (after being parked). Got it boosted, drove home and connected the trickle charger to it. This morning I go to start the car and it would not start. I then proceeded to connect the booster cables and noticed that as soon as I connected the last point to the negative terminal on the car the battery started gassing. I immediately disconnected the booster cable and left the car as is.

Clearly there is a problem with the battery.

1. Is it safe to boost the car and drive it to the dealer and have them replace the battery?

2. Or should I replace the battery before I even drive it in that condition (as it might be dangerous to drive the car with the battery gassing) and then take it to the dealer and have them check the alternator etc, just to rule out the possibility that something else is killing the battery prematurely?
Old 05-20-06, 04:45 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're over charge your battery, trickle charge the battery over the long period will boiled out all the acid. I recommend to replace the battery before drive it to the dealer and let them discard the battery, but make sure you wear some rubber gloves when removing the battery.

Gassing battery can cause battery explosion. I saw a couple of cars on the tow truck with the battery explosion and it was nasty smell with battery acid spilled over the engine comparment.
Old 05-20-06, 08:14 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed to take the battery in for replacement. Choose a common auto parts battery in your "group type" (My RX is a group 24F).. Check the sticker atop your current Lexus battery. Confirm with the battery manufacturer listings.

Kirkland manufactured batteries http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/index.asp

Interstate batteries http://www.ibsa.com/estore/search.as...4F&js=1&RefID=

These have been recommended and are worth the look.

They short out this way, and may damage your alternator if run. Thirty months is not uncommon for a Mexico replacement battery. It is easy to remove the hold down bolts (12mm) and the terminal clamps (10mm open end). Remove the ground first and install the ground last, for safety. It will spark slightly when you reinstall the ground terminal. This is normal and expect to see it.
Clean battery connections and the battery box with baking soda if necessary.

An alternator repair shop should be sufficient and reasonable to drive in for an alternator checkout; only after you have replaced the battery. Most will charge a minimum and use the same standard of test equipment as the dealer. Or take it to a Toyota dealer for a checkout, if one is more convenient.
Old 05-21-06, 08:06 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks Nuum ann Tammy!