Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Royal Purple oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 12:01 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default Royal Purple oil

is royal purple worth the money for our cars? Does anyone here use that in thier cars? any increase in gas mileage? car runs any smoother?
Old 06-16-06, 12:02 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racinstyle
is royal purple worth the money for our cars? Does anyone here use that in thier cars? any increase in gas mileage? car runs any smoother?
a close friend in the family said to avoid that. He works in the oil business.
Old 06-16-06, 12:08 PM
Dima87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i stick with MOBIL 1 full synthetic 5w30
Old 06-16-06, 12:18 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Some people swear by it, many others don't. Personally, I prefer changing the oil frequently. Instead of doing it at the recommended intervals, I do it twice within that time period. Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W30
Old 06-16-06, 01:59 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Royal purple is just recycled oil... jus tlike Castrol, Mobil 1, Kendall, etc. I get Lubro Moly for my car non-recycled and got better gas mileage, powet, etc. They can all fight it saying Mobil, Castrol, and all the rest aren't recycled but they are Look into it.
Old 06-16-06, 02:02 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Royal purple is just recycled oil... jus tlike Castrol, Mobil 1, Kendall, etc. I get Lubro Moly for my car non-recycled and got better gas mileage, powet, etc. They can all fight it saying Mobil, Castrol, and all the rest aren't recycled but they are Look into it.
lubro moly? ive never heard of that.....how does that run in your car for ya?
Old 06-16-06, 02:02 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Valvoline VR-1 50WT racing oil is only 4 bucks a quart and it works. Just ask Nero at Titan motorsports.
Its the best oil he has used. Thasts what I use and my junk runs better.
Old 06-16-06, 02:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RP is very good oil. It seems though that in some engines it shears prematurely. I've seen it sell for simiar to M1 price wise and sometimes cheaper at pepboys. I used it and seemed to quiet down my engine quite a bit compared to M1. If you keep to regular oil change intervals, I don't see anything wrong with either oil. I have many friends with modded high power engines who have used it quite sucessfully.

If you keep to regular 3,000 miles or 3 months changes, RP, M1 or even dino will suffice. If you decide to prolong your OCI to 5k miles or more, I'd do a used oil analysis to be on the safe side.
Old 06-16-06, 02:16 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by racinstyle
lubro moly? ive never heard of that.....how does that run in your car for ya?
http://www.forparts.com/fluids.htm That's most of their products. I noticed a big difference in sound, smoothness, preformance, and gas mileage once I switched from Castrol to Lubro Moly. They have an engine flush called Liqui Moly and an injector cleaner as well, I used all 3 of these in my SC400 and it brought her to life even more than before. I work for Lamborghini and the customers all use the motor flush when it comes time, they say they notice a difference as well, most use the oil too and live by it. Check it out man, great stuff I'm a believer.
Old 06-16-06, 02:19 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
http://www.forparts.com/fluids.htm That's most of their products. I noticed a big difference in sound, smoothness, preformance, and gas mileage once I switched from Castrol to Lubro Moly. They have an engine flush called Liqui Moly and an injector cleaner as well, I used all 3 of these in my SC400 and it brought her to life even more than before. I work for Lamborghini and the customers all use the motor flush when it comes time, they say they notice a difference as well, most use the oil too and live by it. Check it out man, great stuff I'm a believer.

hmmm....seems interesting...I might have to look into this stuff.
Old 06-16-06, 02:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I have also heard about the shearing from a friend who runs a tuning shop in San Antonio, TX.

However, he swears by their gear oil, which I also use in my RX.
Old 03-09-08, 11:45 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

I stick to Mobil 1 5W-30 for my 06 LS-430 UL i use the Zmax engine treatment and the STP fuel system cleaner evrey 3,000 miles and i always use Shell V power gasoline. And my car rides like a dream
Old 03-10-08, 12:35 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I used RP in my 600+hp camaro for years with zero issues. Now i dont care so much about the oil i put in my cars. I just change my oil every 5k, with regular dino penzoil and call it a day. I may switch to the 0w20 full synthetic oil from lexus/toyota after my 5k.. not sure though.
Old 05-24-10, 11:29 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Ive never used the RP motor oil,but I have bin using there gear oil for years now I love it !! As for motor oil i'm a Castrol syntec and now Castrol Edge in my SC . I use Moble 1 0w-40 in my wifes Mercedes but at $8 a quart and I need 9 bottles of it hurts so il change it every 5k which is now.
Old 05-25-10, 09:54 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

used it.. its just oil LOL... ide pay for M1 tho since its cheaper..

edit: holy crap talk about bringing back the dead.

Last edited by vwynn; 05-25-10 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil