Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Why is it so hot in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 11:33 AM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lep95 already said he has tint, plus temp setting is at 65 degrees, and he has a white car so don't know what it could be. But even here in the SF/Daly City area the car gets warm even in 60-65 degree and fog after having been parked for an hour or longer. I also don't like real hot weather (which is why I wouldnt' move to the Sacramento or Stockton area), good thing lep95 lives in WA and not down south.
Old 07-10-06, 11:42 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lep95
I know that I do have a very low tolerance for heat but it seems that my Lexus is emitting too much heat. It's very warm inside the car even when outside temperature is about 65 to 70 degrees. I have tried many different things to reduce the heat such as shutting off the air vents and also change it so air would enter the car from outside instead of getting recycled air. However, these things didn't help much. I'd literally have to turn on the air conditioning every time I enter the car. Can someone help?

Phong Le
In your last sentence, "I'd literally have to turn on the air conditioning every time I enter the car." Does that mean you do not have your climate control set to "Auto" which would use the air conditioner as needed.
Old 07-10-06, 11:45 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JyGS430
lep95 already said he has tint, plus temp setting is at 65 degrees, and he has a white car so don't know what it could be. But even here in the SF/Daly City area the car gets warm even in 60-65 degree and fog after having been parked for an hour or longer. I also don't like real hot weather (which is why I wouldnt' move to the Sacramento or Stockton area), good thing lep95 lives in WA and not down south.
On the western side of Washington State, the temp rarely goes above 80. Here, on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains, summer temperatures between 90 and 104 are common.
Old 07-10-06, 12:42 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

actually for the past few days it has averaged over 80 in the greater seattle area.. i kinda have the same problem sometimes
Old 07-10-06, 02:58 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have the a/c system checked for low freon. Freon molecules can migrate through the rubber hoses over time and you will need to recharge the system, or it may have developed a more significant leak and needs to be repaired.
Old 07-10-06, 05:13 PM
tonysofly
Pole Position

yes, have the a/c checked out, you could either have a freon leak, weak compressor, or too much pressure maybe. maybe even a/c switch/relay not working? could be many different things.

I live in Houston, and it gets nasty over here...our summers stay around 85-100 degrees with TOO MUCH humidity which makes it feel 10 degrees hotter. A/C is a must here.
Old 07-10-06, 08:49 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I feel ya on that houston thing. My car gets scorching hot and I literally almost burned my hands on the steering wheel once.

It would be really nice if there was a way to like have solar panels on the GS to power the fans and circulate the air while the car is off to keep things cooled down a little.
Old 07-10-06, 10:19 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

Why don't one of you guys try this out?
As seen on TV

Old 07-11-06, 12:14 PM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

is ther anyway i can check my ac system my self insted of paying someone to look at it. Ya'll know how NYC is.. all tech here will charge you an arm/leg just because they see you blingin' in a GS..
Anyone know any good guy in NY who would look at it and not try to cheat me outta the deal.
Old 07-11-06, 12:30 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

go to the auto parts store and buy an R134a pressure gauge. Connect to low side of ac system, start car, put a/c on max 65, let system stabilize for a few minutes and read guage. Should be in the green. Or take a thermometer and check air coming out of vent closest to the glove box for a temp of 40 or less. There is also a sight glass near the driver side headlight, there should be no bubbles when ac is operating. It usually is covered with dust or grime and needs to be cleaned off before looking into glass.

Oh yeah...that'll be 30.00 payable thru paypal.....lol jk

Last edited by sockfocks; 07-11-06 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 03:52 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
In your last sentence, "I'd literally have to turn on the air conditioning every time I enter the car." Does that mean you do not have your climate control set to "Auto" which would use the air conditioner as needed.
I agree. Try switching the AC to ON. That may cool your car.
Old 07-11-06, 05:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
I agree. Try switching the AC to ON. That may cool your car.
I hope this is not his problem....

Lep95, had your car ever been in the rear end accident. They're two vents inside the trunk, one on each side of the lower trunk area to recirculate the air( or remove the air out). If you have some thing block off those vents or some body work in the rearend and the body man block it off the air inside of your car will not circulated.

If you lift up the trunk cover/carpet on the left or right side you will see a honey comb plastic on each side. Make sure nothing block those vents.
Old 07-13-06, 07:41 AM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

Socksfocks, THANK YOU, My AC works just fine.. it keep me cool in the car, but when the system is off.. that WARM air annoys the hells outta me.. so what next .... (Paypal money will be sent after the problem is fixed.. lol jk.. )

VVT-i, I checked the vents in the trunk.. I found the one on the left side.. its a white plastic grill.. and it is only covered by the carpet on top.. nothing else.. I have been in car accident.. where I was BUMPED at 10- 15mph.. but no damage.. just scratches..

Any other suggestions my LEXIES
THANKS ALL!!
Old 07-13-06, 08:11 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

AH...ok...you could set it on recycle with the blower off and no air should come through the vents, or you could close the vents manually, other than that....not sure what else to suggest.
Old 07-13-06, 08:30 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bollywoodk
Socksfocks, THANK YOU, My AC works just fine.. it keep me cool in the car, but when the system is off.. that WARM air annoys the hells outta me.. so what next .... (Paypal money will be sent after the problem is fixed.. lol jk.. )

VVT-i, I checked the vents in the trunk.. I found the one on the left side.. its a white plastic grill.. and it is only covered by the carpet on top.. nothing else.. I have been in car accident.. where I was BUMPED at 10- 15mph.. but no damage.. just scratches..

Any other suggestions my LEXIES
THANKS ALL!!
So, let me see if I understand this. You drive your car with the air conditioning off, and wonder why, in the summer it's so warm in your car? Besides the outside temperature in the summer, the sun will heat your car making it warmer. The Air Conditioner is designed to be on all the time, even in the winter as it removes moisture from the air, keeping the windows clear. (See the owners manual) It is an integral part of the climate control but just because it's turned on, doesn't me it runs all the time, only when the climate control computer calls for cooler air. The climate control does not work properly if the AC is turned off. In the time I have owned my car, I have never turned the AC off.
You might think about moving to a cooler climate. I hear summers in Anchorage are fairly mild.

Last edited by Billh2; 07-13-06 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Why is it so hot in my car?