Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Why is it so hot in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 09:13 AM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billh2- THANKS for the advice.. I don't use the AC all times because of its gas consumption.. with these 3.50 gas prices.. its a killer here in NY..
Even with the recycle on.. I get hot air inside the car.. and then even when I manually close the vents.. i get the hot air sneaking in from the steering column.. or the side vents..

Just a day ago I started keeping my car on AUTO.. but again the gas consumption comes up as a q
Old 07-14-06, 09:31 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

[QUOTE=bollywoodk]Billh2- THANKS for the advice.. I don't use the AC all times because of its gas consumption.. with these 3.50 gas prices.. its a killer here in NY..
Even with the recycle on.. I get hot air inside the car.. and then even when I manually close the vents.. i get the hot air sneaking in from the steering column.. or the side vents..

Just a day ago I started keeping my car on AUTO.. but again the gas consumption comes up as a q [/QUOTE

They did a test with the average late model car using the AC, windows up as opposed to keeping the AC off and the windows down. At highway speeds, the AC delivered better fuel economy because of the reduced drag with the windows up.

I am curious, just what is the difference in fuel economy between AC on, or off?
Old 07-15-06, 07:16 AM
DakotaRX
Driver

What articles I have read discussing gas consumption of air on or off have stated anywhere from .5 to 2 mpg difference. A lot of it depends on the outside temperatures. If very hot and the air is running most of the time it can affect the mpg more than if only low 70's and the air is only running occasionally. Also mentioned in the articles is the windows up and air on verses windows down and no air as mentioned in previous responses. At about 40 mph the aerodynamics with the windows down creates much more drag and lowering mpg more than mpg with the windows up and the air on. So if just cruising around it may make more sense to run with the air off and the windows down. To me it would also depend upon what the temp is outside in the first place. If it's 90 degs I would have the windows up and air on regardless of the speed, it would still be 90 deg. air coming in the window. Also how much ambient noise is out there would make a difference too. Lots of traffic, car stereos and such would mean having the windows up and air on to me. That's one of the things about Lexus, quiet ride
Old 07-15-06, 07:39 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DakotaRX
What articles I have read discussing gas consumption of air on or off have stated anywhere from .5 to 2 mpg difference. A lot of it depends on the outside temperatures. If very hot and the air is running most of the time it can affect the mpg more than if only low 70's and the air is only running occasionally. Also mentioned in the articles is the windows up and air on verses windows down and no air as mentioned in previous responses. At about 40 mph the aerodynamics with the windows down creates much more drag and lowering mpg more than mpg with the windows up and the air on. So if just cruising around it may make more sense to run with the air off and the windows down. To me it would also depend upon what the temp is outside in the first place. If it's 90 degs I would have the windows up and air on regardless of the speed, it would still be 90 deg. air coming in the window. Also how much ambient noise is out there would make a difference too. Lots of traffic, car stereos and such would mean having the windows up and air on to me. That's one of the things about Lexus, quiet ride
Just to show you how much turn my AC off... A couple of weeks ago, I left work at noon during one of our nice 95+ degree days. After going a couple of blocks and noticing that it wasn't cooling down, I started to panic. WTF's going on? did the AC die? What's that going to cost to fix? Stopped at a light and looked at my climate control, Hummmm - set to auto, temp on 27 (C) still blowing hot air, Hello - what's this? An AC button, looks like it has a light, but it's not on. Press the button WONDERS OF WONDERS!!! Cold AIR!! Must of bumped it somehow.
I hope they find more oil in that Little Knife Field area around Killdeer.
Old 07-15-06, 09:30 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Hey guys, i have a first gen GS and have similar problems described.

Here in MinneSOta, the climate is HOT, MOIST and it sucks but i guess it's like that in a lot of places.

Bollywoodk described, i'm having the same issue. This doesn't bother me during the day but at night when the temp drops down to 65-73 degrees. I can feel hot air comming from the bottom by the steering column and even out of the vents when its set on recycle. When its 65 outside, i shouldn't be experiencing this!! I've tryed blasting the heat out by putting it on max but warm air still comes out. When i set it on outdoor air, warm air still comes out. Well atleast way warmer than the temp outside.
Old 07-18-06, 12:02 PM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

I have kept the AC on auto.. but I really feel the engine power get low when the AC is on.
Again when the AC is off.. HOt air comes in STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any other suggests..??
Old 08-03-06, 07:49 AM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

Anybody out there got any resolution to this yet??
is it happening with anyone esle (hot air coming in with the vent on recycle)??
Old 08-14-06, 11:35 AM
jdmtruong
Lead Lap

I have a 1992 SC4 and I just redid my whole car audio. I then had to wait for my HU to come in so I left the plastics laying at home. I was driving around with no AC nor AC unit, no HU, no cupholder or any of the plastics in the cockfit. I found out that the heat that is coming from my car is where the transmission is. It is right around where the plastics are suppose to be, all round the e-brake area. I knew I had a heat problem, but now I know exactly where. It is VERY HOT, and if you keep driving for a bit and feel the metal near the HU and the shifter area, you might get burned. So be careful. To cure this? S#it I got no damn idea.
Old 08-14-06, 01:34 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot is the NE or Minnesota?

I would love to have a few days in a row where the temperature didn't go over 100f. The heat in Texas by itself is not too bad until you take into account a humidity of 70% or higher.
Old 08-20-06, 03:16 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmtruong
I have a 1992 SC4 and I just redid my whole car audio. I then had to wait for my HU to come in so I left the plastics laying at home. I was driving around with no AC nor AC unit, no HU, no cupholder or any of the plastics in the cockfit. I found out that the heat that is coming from my car is where the transmission is. It is right around where the plastics are suppose to be, all round the e-brake area. I knew I had a heat problem, but now I know exactly where. It is VERY HOT, and if you keep driving for a bit and feel the metal near the HU and the shifter area, you might get burned. So be careful. To cure this? S#it I got no damn idea.
I have the same problem.

Does anybody know if there is supposed to be a heat shield around that area?
Old 08-20-06, 06:45 PM
Bolter
Driver School Candidate

Although it may seem reasonable to expect cool air to come from your vents when it is cool outside, there are certain realities that will keep this from happening. The fresh air intake vents are located below the winshield under the hood. The recirculation intake vents are located above you feet under the dash. Even when it is cool outside, if the sun is shining your windsheild and hood will be much warmer than the ouside temp due to heat soaking. Even if your car is parked inside, as soon as you move into the sun it will heat up. On top of this, with the engine running your under hood temperature will go way up (300-400F?) and the exhaust system that runs below your feet also make a lot of heat that radiates up into the cockpit. So unless you are driving down the freeway at 65mph or more for long enough to cool off the top & bottom of your car, you will never get cool air out of the vents without the A/C on unless it is very cold outside. It's just not physically possible because of how the air gets into your car. If you roll the windows down it may help but your best but to stay cool without the A/C on is to run with the windows partially down and the vent set to fresh air and to drive as fast as possible for as long as possible. The good news I see for you if you live in NYC is that there is no fuel mileage savings by running without your A/C on. The only way you can save fuel mileage without the A/C on is to be running with the engine at a steady RPM for a long period of time, so if you are driving around town constantly accelerating & decelerating you probably won't notice any significant change in your gas mileage. This driving condition is also making your vent temp concern worse because your exhaust system and under hood temperatures never get a chance to get down the road and cool off. You can test this easily enough by running a tank of gas with the A/C off and then one with it on and see what the difference really is.
Old 08-21-06, 12:39 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm assuming he's talking about when you just put the vents without A/C. If that's the case, it's perfectly normal. The engine heats up the system when not using the A/C, so that will always be the case. If your system cools fine when the A/C is working, you have nothing to worry about.
As a comment, R134a is 'thinner' (molecules smaller) than R12, and some seepage will occur after many years; perfectly normal too. Later.
Old 08-24-06, 08:10 PM
l.diablo
Driver School Candidate

Under the hood, at the firewall, there should be a water valve (controls coolant flow to the heater core). When you adjust the temperature to the extreme positions (coldest and hottest), the valve needs to open and close. Verify that your valve is operating properly and we'll go from there.