Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

reg,oil to mobil1 oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-01, 08:08 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Lab Analysis Costs

Dex - I guess it depends on your budget &, IMO, how hard U push your car ( & with what mods ). If I was running a supercharger or nitrous, then'd opt for the $40 testing from Herguth. If U haven't really done much to stress the engine ( like the aforementioned mods ), then the $20 kit should be fine for a street driven car. The Spectrochemical analysis is the main diagnostic tool because it will detect the trace metals &, more importantly, the amount of such. This way U can determine if the wear rate of the internal engine components is consistant. What about doing a Herguth test every other oil change & use the $20 test in-between them? I have mine done with the Spectral analyzer & also with a gas chromatograph but as I said before, it's done for free - I generally authorize the purchase of over $50k of lubricants/chemicals from our vendor every month so our salesman has been to Hawaii ( as a result of monthly sales contests ) twice this year!!:eek: Ya know, he could take ME instead of his wife!!
Old 11-05-01, 12:08 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dex & M.G.,

I really want to do one test to make sure my oil change interval is correct. I hope the $20 does the trick, but I really don't know much at all about oil tests.

Dex, can't wait to hear which test you decide on and what the results indicate.
Old 11-05-01, 12:22 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan on keeping this car for a while, and after my recent peroformance upgrades, and the way I gravitate towards capturing data, I think I'm going to go with Herguth, do a test every other month, and capture and trend the data in a spreadsheet.

I can then add it to my maintenance / service / upgrade records....

I know I won't have a baseline to compare how the upgrades affect the outcome, but it should still give me an idea how the engine does over the course of ownership and if the seasons / temps effect the results....

Of course I'll post after my first test!