Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Your advise on what is correct?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 03:43 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Your advise on what is correct?

Bought a CPO 2003 SC430 with only 11,800 miles on it last month. I decided that I needed to see what services were done when it was CPO'ed by the dealer at time of purchase. My understanding based on the CPO information is that when they CPO a vehicle they bring it up to current maintenance. What I mean by that is that since my SC430 only has 11800 miles on it, based on mileage it would not need a antifreeze change but based on the fact it is 3 years old it would need a change per Lexus maintenance schle., it also should of had the brake fluid changed and the airfilter and the air conditioning filter changed. When I talked to the service manager I found that all they changed was the oil/filter and did a frontend alignment. They tested the antifreeze and it tested OK so they did not change it. I asked her did that mean that I did not need to change my antifreeze for the next 2 years since it would be 5 years old by that time. She caught my drift and said she would get with the used car manager and get back to me on what they will do to help me out. I checked what they do on services at this dealership and it is way over what Lexus recommends, except when they CPO'ed my car and then they didn't do anything Example - they do a transmission service and a differential service every 15K miles for some big bucks when the owners manual shows for normal service you don't ever need to service the transmission or differential. OK do you guys think they should atleast do the services based on time that my low mileage SC430 should of had done when they CPO'ed my car and if they don't want to do it now for free what would you recommend I do? Do I have a leg to stand on or do I just bite the bullet and pay for them to change the antifreeze, brake fluid and air conditioning filter and air filter for about $250-$300 to bring it up to where it should be???

Last edited by Max707; 09-13-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-13-06, 04:05 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Well I'm "HAPPY" The service manager called me back a real class lady. She got the go ahead to do the antifreeze, transmission service, differential service, brake fluid, and air filter and air conditioning filter change along with new wiper blades and PCV valve. I should be good to go after this service for the next 2 years or 30K miles with only tire rotations and Oil/filter changes needed. God I love owning a Lexus, these people are so nice to work with
Old 09-14-06, 06:02 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your an educated consumer. Congratulations on your conclusion!

Yes, with your low mileage, service your new vehicle by time rather than mileage. Your closer to three years before service is needed. Change the oil every three to four months, if your driving less than five thousand miles in this time period.

My I recommend you use one oil brand and stay with it, rather than using anything available. Engines seem to adapt to the motor oil, running smoother over time. I've noted this with several engines, including my three liter aluminum and 4.2 liter cast iron engines.

They are right for you to have the tires rotated and balanced for longer tire life. I do mine every year, or four thousand miles. I use a local "Discount Tire" with a good balance machine and the service is free. They are catering to future business from me and it works.
Old 09-18-06, 05:56 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tammy
Your an educated consumer. Congratulations on your conclusion!

Yes, with your low mileage, service your new vehicle by time rather than mileage. Your closer to three years before service is needed. Change the oil every three to four months, if your driving less than five thousand miles in this time period.

My I recommend you use one oil brand and stay with it, rather than using anything available. Engines seem to adapt to the motor oil, running smoother over time. I've noted this with several engines, including my three liter aluminum and 4.2 liter cast iron engines.

They are right for you to have the tires rotated and balanced for longer tire life. I do mine every year, or four thousand miles. I use a local "Discount Tire" with a good balance machine and the service is free. They are catering to future business from me and it works.
Thanks for the post Tammy, the service manager at my Lexus dealership did the 30K mile service which includes way more then what the service manual calls for FREE I will now maintain my new to me ride so it lasts for a very long time.