Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2000 GS400 automatic climate control problem...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 05:34 PM
2kpearlgs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 GS400 automatic climate control problem...please help!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows a solution. A few months ago i noticed that whenever i used the auto function on my climate control(i have nav.), if the temp is set to 65 it will blow full cold, but if i change it just one degree to 66 it goes full hot. Now that it is getting cold outside i am having a tough time getting a decent temp in the car when my defrost is full hot or cold depending on if it is set to 65 or 66 degrees. Any idea what the problem is? Anyone had this problem before? I really appreciate any help on this. My thought is that its the temp sensor, but not completely certain, and im afraid to take it to the dealer and pay them hundreds of dollars on something that may be small. Feel free to post your thoughts or PM me. Thanks
Old 12-15-06, 09:37 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kpearlgs4
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows a solution. A few months ago i noticed that whenever i used the auto function on my climate control(i have nav.), if the temp is set to 65 it will blow full cold, but if i change it just one degree to 66 it goes full hot. Now that it is getting cold outside i am having a tough time getting a decent temp in the car when my defrost is full hot or cold depending on if it is set to 65 or 66 degrees. Any idea what the problem is? Anyone had this problem before? I really appreciate any help on this. My thought is that its the temp sensor, but not completely certain, and im afraid to take it to the dealer and pay them hundreds of dollars on something that may be small. Feel free to post your thoughts or PM me. Thanks
THe interior temp sensor is right under your key, its that little slotted square. If it doesnt work out for you, (worse case scenario) grab another one from another GS, and replace it. I would suggest cleaning it for now, and making sure its plugged in correctly. Shouldnt be an expensive fix.
Old 12-15-06, 10:15 AM
98LexusGS
Driver

I have the same problem on my 98 GS 300. It's an intermittent problem. Sometimes when I put it up to 70 it will blow really hot air and the vent will change to head and feet by itself. When I put it back to 65 it will blow ice cold and the vent changes back to head flow. I'm going to try to replace that sensor and see what happens. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-20-06, 12:34 PM
2kpearlgs4
Driver School Candidate

Default finally fixed!!!

well finally got it fixed. Had my mechanic look at it, he let it idle and set it to 71 degrees, half hr. later it was 95 degrees in the car. So he took a look at the interior temp sensor.....turns out it was unplugged.huh, guess that was it. I think when i got the stereo system or the remote start done they unplugged it from under the dash and forgot to plug it back in. I didnt notice it right away cause it was nicer out then, i think it was may or june. Then when if got really hot i noticed it. But when Grand LS4 said something about where the interior sensor is, it all clicked. Thanks for the help guys. I dont know if 98LexusGS's problem can be fixed as easily, but that is where i would start. have a great holiday guys!!!
Old 12-20-06, 11:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you got it worked out