Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

what synthetic oil do you use??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-07, 06:04 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried Mobil 1 5W30 in my GS400 and was not satisfied with my UOA and changed to my favorite standby Schaeffers Supreme 5W30 synthetic blend....it has better additive package and does much better for my style of driving which includes many short trips that don't get my oil to operating temperature.
Old 01-12-07, 06:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Mobil 1 and I change every 2 Months
Old 01-12-07, 10:41 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob

sry but could u give me a quick low down on what the differences are btwn group IV and group III oil and how this would affect 2JZ-FE?
Whether you needs Group IV oil depends on your driving style (severe condition?), setup (turbo, sc), and the engine design.
Normally for Toyota engines, especially V8s, base oil is important, but not as critical. Base oil is just one factor to make a good oil, additive package is also important.
I ran Amsoil XLM 5w-20 (Group III) in my Acura's J-series engine since it is more forgiving than the sludge prone 1mz-fe
Group III is technically not a synthetic because the base oil is derived from mineral petrolum crude oil. If you google Castrol vs. Mobil you will find out why Group III is called a synthetic now, it is a marketing ploy and way to make $.

Ironically, Mobil now is using the same approach as Castrol - using cheaper base stock and call it synthetic - quietly. This is after Mobil hyped its Mobil 1 as 100% Group IV, therefore, superior products over other brands.
I am a M1 users for many years, but I wish Mobil could be more honest about using a cheaper base stock. Silly me, why ask for the impossible? An oil company being honest?
But Pennzoil went with Group III around late 2005, they did not hide it, Amsoil uses Group III in its XL oils but does not hide it. Castrol 0w-30, made in Germany, is the only Group IV oil in Castrol's lineup in the U.S. I just picked up 6 quarts at Autozone.

Definitions of base oil groups:

Group I Solvent Freezing Group I base oils are the least refined of all of the groups. They are usually a mix of different hydrocarbon chains with little or no uniformity. While some automotive oils on the market use Group I stocks, they are generally used in less demanding applications.

Group II Hydroprocessing and Refining Group II base oils are common in mineral-based motor oils currently available on the market. They have fair to good performance in lubricating properties such as volatility, oxidative stability and flash/fire points. They have only fair performance in areas such as pour point, cold crank viscosity and extreme pressure wear.

Group III Hydroprocessing and Refining Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of mineral oil refining of the base oil groups. Although they are not chemically engineered, they offer good performance in a wide range of attributes as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. They are commonly mixed with additives and marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic products. Group III base oil products have become more common in America during the past decade.

Group IV Chemical Reactions Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAOs) are a common example of a synthetic base stock. Synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications.

Group V As Indicated Group V base oils are used primarily in the creation of oil additives. Esters and polyolesters are both common Group V base oils used in the formulation of oil additives. Group V oils exhibit a wide variety of properties specific to each individual oil's formulation. Group V base oils are generally not used as base oils themselves, but add beneficial properties to other base oils.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 01-16-07 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-12-07, 12:38 PM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use quakerstate full synthetic 5w30
Old 01-15-07, 11:50 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ah i see
thanks for the education

so what are oil are good?
also what oil filters should i should with synthetic to stretch the intervals to say 7K miles
Old 01-16-07, 12:13 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
ah i see
thanks for the education

so what are oil are good?
also what oil filters should i should with synthetic to stretch the intervals to say 7K miles
Oil is a sensitive subject, what is a good oil? It depends on what is important to you. May I suggest you to visit BITOG, look for Used Oil Analysis for your engine, it is free and very useful data.
Since your car will have to spent long cold winters in Canada, use 0w-30, 0w-20, or 5w-20 synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is pretty good oil if you can get a discount, especially if you still can get older Group IV M1.
Again, UOA is the only sure way to tell which oil is good for you. You can also send a sample and enclose $20 to a lab.
Old 01-16-07, 12:55 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I use Valvoline's 50/50 synthetic blend
Old 01-16-07, 02:12 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

since all the off the shelf stuff is SyntheticOil Lite (tm) I just get whatever is on sale from a well known brand. I used to pay more for Mobil 1, but thats just wasting money since the formula change.

Currenly running the Pennzoil Synthetic that is on sale all month at Kragen / Chuckers for .99 a quart (after rebate).
Old 01-16-07, 03:33 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toy4two
since all the off the shelf stuff is SyntheticOil Lite (tm) I just get whatever is on sale from a well known brand. I used to pay more for Mobil 1, but thats just wasting money since the formula change.

Currenly running the Pennzoil Synthetic that is on sale all month at Kragen / Chuckers for .99 a quart (after rebate).
I agree your comment on Mobil, used to be M1 user but IMHO M1 after formulation changes is overpriced.
German Castrol 0w-30 is probably the only known OTC Group IV PAO based true synthetic, but not all Autozone stores carry it. I have not used it yet but heard good reviews from owners.
From BITOG.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...0&fpart=1&vc=1

There seems to be a lot of interest here about the base oil composition of the German Castrol 0W-30 oil, so I picked up a quart (Gold – M05216) at the local AZ and ran a G.C (Gas Chromatograph) and FTIR to take a peek at the components.

This oil is based entirely on 1-decene type PAOs. Judging from the ratios of the C30, C40, and C50 groupings it appears to be a blend of mostly 4 cSt PAO with either 6 cSt or 8 cSt cuts.

There is no mineral base oil present (Group I, II, or III) other than a small amount consistent with additive carrier oil.

No esters or ANs are present on the G.C. and transesterification does not remove any peaks (which it would if esters were present). The FTIR also shows no significant C=0 absorbance from esters. If there is any ester in this oil it is either very tiny or very high molecular weight, neither of which makes technical sense.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 01-16-07 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 04:27 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Amsoil. Stays clean longer than most. Agip is also another good synthetic.
Old 01-16-07, 05:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You know..I think i'm going to switch to amsoil too.

my local honda dealer has a quart for $5.50/qt. Walmart has Mobil 1 for $5.96/qt
Old 01-17-07, 12:41 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

RX300 - Mobil 1: 5W-30 Synthetic. I change my oil every 5,000 miles. Since I treat her well, she's been very good to me.

GS350 - I have yet to get my first oil change.