Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GS400 going to go to the doctor soon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 01:04 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 going to go to the doctor soon!

I have a Early 98 GS400 with 120k on the clock and I have several questions regarding several maintenance concerns. I have only owned it for like 3 month so I havent done much to it yet besides, brake pads, and new rear tires. But I havent even changed the oil yet. I bought it from texas, and the owner had just had the oil changed. But since I do not drive it that much I figure I should take care of all the maintenance now that way I wont miss it too much vs getting everything done when the weather is nice were Ill wished I had the car to drive, but anyways:

It is due for Oil change now, but since I hardly drive it due to winter, i havent jacked it up to see how hard it is, I can find probably a good DIY on here with a little more searching. Ill change the spark plugs/cables when I get this done as well.

also my car is in need of new struts, joints, and bushings. It creaks, and pops a little bit, any other things that might contribute to this maybe tie rods??

Also I plan to get all the fluids changed, is there a difference if I take it to lexus or toyota for this??? will they put the same fluids in?

and my main concern is the timing belt:

how can you tell if the timing belt has been changed?? any ways of knowing?? With my cars mileage it is due for it, but I got it not too long ago, and dont know if the prev. owner had the job done. Anyone?? As i was looking into it, I came accross this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWD1V sounds like it would be an easy way to save $100, seller has pretty good feedback. would you guys recomend buying this kit than taking it to toyota/lexus to get the job done. I would like to take it to toyota, but dont know if they would get it done correctly, since I dont think they have a car in their lineup similar to the GS.

one last question, in regards to recalls and TSB's I have wondered this ever since I started owning cars, but for some reason I still do not know the answer. Could I take my car to lexus and have all the TSB's done for free??? my car is way out of warranty, but I have the infamous vibration at high speeds, and your annoying dash rattles, both which I would like to take care of, but If I remember correctly there are TSB's out for the both. So would my local lexus dealer take care of it for me?

Thanks alot guys for your time and input, Hope you all had happy holidays and a great upcoming new year!
Old 12-27-06, 11:01 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Bbbuuuummmmppp
Old 12-28-06, 12:00 AM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Visit any Lexus dealer and pull the service history of your car. Service writer can then list items or work a service plan to get your vehicle uto date.

Oil change;
Filter is accessable once you flip open the trap door in the bottom plastic sheild. Oil drain plug is very obvious and accessable.

TSB & Recalls: Recall items should be free (service writer should point them out), tsbs will cost you.

Suspension:
Have it checked out. Commen problem seems to be the tierod end.

Wibes: After suspension work, check wheel balance.

Timing belt: Should have happened at 90k. If service history does not show the Tbelt change and the previous owner does not tell you then ony advice I can give will be to change it

Salim
Old 12-28-06, 12:44 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

thanks a lot for the reply, I know quite a bit, so i appreciate your time.

I didnt even think about checking with the lexus dealer to see if they can pull up the history, That will help a lot so I can get an idea as to what has been taken care of.

so lemme get this straight recalls are free, and TSB's cost?? right? any where I can get a list of the recalls to our GS's. I think there was a website, i am going to search on yahoo after I post this.

anyway tie rods, I need to lift the car up and take a look, but I am pretty sure it needs all of this.

only thing I am concerned about is, I bought the car from RGV rio grande valley. and a lot of the guys there well, when it comes to maintenance, seem to stay from the dealer, and rely on uncles, and local mechanics. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, as I do that myself lol, but it makes it hard to distinguish the cars history. The actual owner of the car wasnt there at the time of the sale, wife was there which was also why I got a good deal on the car, but unfortunately she didnt know much about the cars maintenance.

thanks again for the response. oh do know about toyota Vs lexus when it comes to these things? I would think toyota would do a fine job since after all same makers, but do they use the same fluids, etc., and know how to work on the car to its original specs? I am just concerend since there really isnt a car similar to the GS that toyota offers, that it will be something new to them, and greatens the chances of something being done wrong.

I dont want them putting a filter to say a camry on my car along with the incorrect fluids and incorrect torques on the bolts etc, things which down the road will bring me trouble.
Old 12-28-06, 07:38 AM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

As far as TSB's are concerned, my personal feeling (many can disagree) is that chose and perform which are a problem for you. [very similar in nature to bios upgrade in computers .... if you dont experience the problem then dont touch it]. What is serviced as cost free, has to be first determined by the dealer and then can be escalated to Lexus corporate.

Service history at Lexus, as you pointed out, is limted to service done by any Lexus dealership [not sure if Toyota delaership is linked with Lexus]. Service performed by DIY and local mechanics should be documented and lack of documantation keeps every one guessing.

I kid with folks who insist that they drive and Lexus and not Toyota, that if and when they go for service at Toyota, they should stop making the distinction .
Seriously, DIY, mechanic at a local garage, Toyota delarship, Lexus dealership are all fine as long as they know what they are doing. Experience and skill are always the issue and it is hard to determine that. Athough Lexus service costs more, but I have never had an issue with quality of service and the experience has been always positive.

Obviously Lexus would carry the SST (special service tools) and have a mechanism to read engine ecu .... more than the obdII.

Salim
Old 12-28-06, 12:14 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

i just called toyota, and if i bring in the parts it'll run about $450

360 for timing belt,
45 for water pump (half an hour)
45 for bearings (half an hour)

comforting to know that the guy i talked to owns a GS300.

it was wierd I guess he is selling his, not too bad of a deal he wants about 12,000 for it, fully loaded with navi and everything, platinum edition 89000 miles. black with saddle leather.

anyways I think I am just going to buy the parts and take the car down to toyota. guy said I could make sure he is there, and that he works wednesday thru saturday.

so ill probably take it down next week or the week after. I would take it to a friend that i know, but I wouldnt want to risk the timing being off and having damage to the valves. At least if toyota does something wrong, wouldnt they be liable for any damage done to the car?
but anyway