Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need Labor Times? or help from Mitchell Repair???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 12:58 AM
andyroo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I was just curious how much it was to replace the right sideview mirror for the 2nd gen IS?
Old 10-23-07, 07:38 PM
CyBorG
Pole Position

thanks mitsuguy, i was about to ask for crankshaft R oil seal and a few others but i saw others asking the same exact thing
Old 10-23-07, 09:57 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Man, all of that is standard services... Inspection of everything should hopefully be free or extremely cheap. There is no labor time for inspection of those. The Cabin air filter (a/c filter) labor should be around $20-$30, brake flush should be around $90, oil change depends on weight of oil, and the only other thing on there worth noting price is spark plugs... which car and motor?
Sorry, it's a GS400
Old 11-17-07, 09:14 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Can you give me an idea of the cost and/or hours to rebuild an automatic transmission on a 93 SC300?
Im trying to decide wether to order a performance rebuild kit wich is $585, and have it installed locally, or a BL tranny for 1800 + shipping and R + R cost.......
-Thanks
Old 11-17-07, 09:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CantSeeMe
Can you give me an idea of the cost and/or hours to rebuild an automatic transmission on a 93 SC300?
Im trying to decide wether to order a performance rebuild kit wich is $585, and have it installed locally, or a BL tranny for 1800 + shipping and R + R cost.......
-Thanks
17.8 hours labor time, r&r the trans, and rebuild it...
Old 11-18-07, 07:59 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

17.8 hours labor time, r&r the trans, and rebuild it...
Hmmm, I didnt realize it was quite that labor intensive.......Apparently im looking at 2-3K with either of those options then......
I really didnt want to tackle the tranny R+R in my garage , But i should just go ahead and chance it on a used Soarer tranny , and just install it myself .......
Anyhow, Thanks alot for the info
Old 11-18-07, 08:13 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

it's only 5 hours to r/r the trans itself... the rest is the rebuild part...

it's quite easy though...
Old 05-29-10, 11:26 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Question 1994 LS400 Rack & Pinion Replacement

I work as a sales manager at a vehicle repair shop (in Las Vegas). I have some free time during the day, and wanted to offer this free service to all CL members...

Basically, I can look up just about anything in Mitchell, Dealer list pricing, Labor times, wiring diagrams, even troubleshooting some issues. It also has preferred fluids and quantities.

If anyone has a request, post it here, and I'll get back ASAP...

For instance, if you have a 93 SC400, and you need the rear main seal replaced, I can look up and see that it lists:

5.5 hours labor (includes R&I trans/transaxle)
Part # 90311-A0002: $27.09 dealer list
and if needed, the oil seal retainer is part # 11381-50020: $74.83 dealer list

Certain parts I can get exploded view diagrams and post as well...

Keep in mind these prices are subject to change, but it's a good starting point so you know what the dealer should be thinking when you get there... (I liken it to knowing the book value of a car before talking to the salesman) Also, certain parts have labor times and warranty times, in which if it's under warranty, it's charged less labor time for some reason.
MS is the 2.6 Hour Quote for replacing the Rack and Pinion on a 94 LS400 still current or can you tell me what an independent shop should be charging; think I am going to purchase a Reman R&P and have them install it? Recommendations are appreciated? Thanks for the response
Old 05-30-10, 03:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by tyncobb
MS is the 2.6 Hour Quote for replacing the Rack and Pinion on a 94 LS400 still current or can you tell me what an independent shop should be charging; think I am going to purchase a Reman R&P and have them install it? Recommendations are appreciated? Thanks for the response
I actually don't have access to that data anywhere, but 2.6 hours sounds about right, plus an alignment when completed...

Careful before you buy a part, some shops will not install parts they don't sell... And also, just a warning, if you get a reman unit, and its defective, even if it is right when it is first installed, the shop will charge another 2.6 hours to swap to a different rack, whereas if they buy the part, they would eat it if that were to happen... Just a thought
Old 11-29-11, 06:02 AM
dominick
Rookie

Default labor time guide

Hi I'm searching for labor time called for replacing the following items on a 98 gs400. Thanks

power steering pump

alternator

L/R motor mounts

transmission mount
Old 11-29-11, 10:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by dominick
Hi I'm searching for labor time called for replacing the following items on a 98 gs400. Thanks

power steering pump

alternator

L/R motor mounts

transmission mount
Power steering pump 1.4 hrs

Alternator 1.0 hrs

Both motor mounts 1.4 hrs for both, or 1.0 each if done separately

Trans mount .6 hrs
Old 03-19-12, 03:14 PM
VegasSC430
Rookie

Not sure if this thread is still active, but how much labor is involved in replacing the steering rack assembly on an '05 RX 330? Any help is appreciated, this was/is a great thread!
Old 03-19-12, 03:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by VegasSC430
Not sure if this thread is still active, but how much labor is involved in replacing the steering rack assembly on an '05 RX 330? Any help is appreciated, this was/is a great thread!
3.0 hours, includes adjusting toe on an alignment machine, which is usually .6 by itself...

And, thanks... I do what I can to provide to the community... :-)
Old 03-21-12, 02:13 PM
VegasSC430
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. This kind of information is invaluable, so thanks again for providing it. Do you know of any reputable shops in Las Vegas that work on Lexus? I thought your first post said you worked in Vegas, but now you are in Mizzou?
Old 03-21-12, 11:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by VegasSC430
Thanks for the quick reply. This kind of information is invaluable, so thanks again for providing it. Do you know of any reputable shops in Las Vegas that work on Lexus? I thought your first post said you worked in Vegas, but now you are in Mizzou?
Yah, no problem... the key is catching me at work when its not completely crazy so I can check my mail

I worked for Ted Wiens out there, as with any place, your experiences will be more directly related to who you are dealing with directly, however, when I was there, they ran a fair operation with pretty knowledgeable guys...

I am now in Missouri, yes...

Quick Reply: Need Labor Times? or help from Mitchell Repair???