Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

My brother got into a “fender-bender” with a 1998 Lexus ES 300…need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 03:49 PM
Shanecbx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brother got into a “fender-bender” with a 1998 Lexus ES 300…need help

Well…my brother and I were backing out of a parking space in a busy parking lot, when we backed into the Lexus (good thing it wasn’t one of the Bentleys, Lamborghini's, etc. that are regularly near there)

Back to the story, the damage was to his back left side/corner of the bumper. The side panel was pushed in and had a lot of our cars paint on it. I am kinda concerned about the top left panel (circled in green in the picture), it looks like the paint is chipping away. The back tail light had a very small crack in it and was a slightly scraped on the bottom edge. I got down and looked under the car and from what I could tell there no damage to the car frame.

So is there anyone with body shop experience that could give me a figure for the damage. My friends dad may be able to help get the dent out and order parts for cheap... Does anything needa be replaced?

I appreciate everyones help and input...

Here are some photos on photobucket:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...3/PIC-0081.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...3/PIC-0080.jpg
Attached Thumbnails -pic-00810.jpg  

Last edited by Shanecbx3; 03-08-07 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 05:45 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't work for a body shop, but I have some experience with this sort of thing with my Lexus and those of friends and family.

Basicaly, to get it looking perfect, or anything close, is going to take something in the neighborhood of $1,200, or maybe more, IMO as an amateur. You'd have to replace the cracked tailight (not cheap) and repaint the whole bumper and probably the two white body panels that were effected. Taking out the dents is incidental to the repainting. If you find a body shop that can do spot retouching (few and far between), you could maybe drop $400. It's possible the body shop would want to replace the bumper rather than repair it, which would raise the price a few hundred.

My guess is based upon the experiences of older family members and neighbors who crunch their bumpers and fenders on a regular basis and keep the local body shops happy.