Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

45k service- Dealer or Independent Shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 10:23 AM
eus6267
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45k service- Dealer or Independent Shop

I have a 2003 GS300 and my 45k service is coming up. I called a couple of the dealers here in Houston and they want $500.00 for this!

Would you guys recommend me spending the extra money and going to Lexus, or should I use an independent shop? I think that an independent shop would cost about half (~$250.00).

Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-21-07, 11:56 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by eus6267
I have a 2003 GS300 and my 45k service is coming up. I called a couple of the dealers here in Houston and they want $500.00 for this!

Would you guys recommend me spending the extra money and going to Lexus, or should I use an independent shop? I think that an independent shop would cost about half (~$250.00).

Go to Lexus, its only money Here is my real advise. When my vehicle is under warranty I always take it to Lexus. After the warranty is up I take it to a quality local shop.
Old 04-21-07, 12:35 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As they say... Money talks... Is the car still under warrenty? If so, just take it to the dealer, if it isn't, take it to a quality mechanic...
Old 04-21-07, 05:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do it either with the dealer or independent shop, whatever you feel comfortable. But one thing that I've learned after in this business for a long time. The car that service at dealership get top dollars on the trade in or private sale,because you can say " All services done at dealership, will provide the print out". A few hundred dollars more you spend at the dealership will pay itself when you want to sell your car.
One more thing, you build a relationship with the dealership and when your car is out of warranty and there's something goes wrong they may do it under the goodwill gesture.
Old 04-21-07, 08:21 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You can do it either with the dealer or independent shop, whatever you feel comfortable. But one thing that I've learned after in this business for a long time. The car that service at dealership get top dollars on the trade in or private sale,because you can say " All services done at dealership, will provide the print out". A few hundred dollars more you spend at the dealership will pay itself when you want to sell your car.
One more thing, you build a relationship with the dealership and when your car is out of warranty and there's something goes wrong they may do it under the goodwill gesture.
Great points. Its about establishing a relationship with the dealer. A lot of times when you are a repeat customer, they will look out for you, give a discount, no haggle with loaners and Lexus has the 1 yr warrenty on what they worked on. Also piece of mind that you know the job was done by certified techs.

In all honesty in my experience, even with non Lexus cars, outside the basics like oil changes, the dealer is not much more expensive than an independent shop.
Old 04-21-07, 10:42 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eus6267

Some independent Lexus repair shop offer the same service like your Lexus dealership. Loaner vehicle, Wi-Fi connection etc. Houston should have a few Lexus Independent shop.
JPI
Old 04-22-07, 12:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JPI
Some independent Lexus repair shop offer the same service like your Lexus dealership. Loaner vehicle, Wi-Fi connection etc. Houston should have a few Lexus Independent shop.
JPI
I can agree with this too. Some are very good and reputable.

Bottom line, do your homework
Old 04-22-07, 11:58 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great points. Its about establishing a relationship with the dealer. A lot of times when you are a repeat customer, they will look out for you, give a discount, no haggle with loaners and Lexus has the 1 yr warrenty on what they worked on. Also piece of mind that you know the job was done by certified techs.

In all honesty in my experience, even with non Lexus cars, outside the basics like oil changes, the dealer is not much more expensive than an independent shop.
This point was driven home to me by Ford when my Marauder was 1 1/2 months out of warranty and about 2500 miles under mileage and they refused to cover a transmission failure because I did all the service (except for one trans and brake refill) myself. They didn't see a relationship and punished me for it.

Odds are that will likely be the last Ford product I'll own.
Old 05-06-07, 10:51 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

If you use an independent shop, and your car is under warranty, just show proof you had the service done. I have come to understand that the relationship you have with the dealer is only as good as the personnel at the dealership at that time. Once the management changes or the S/A has moved on, you are on your own! I have many years at 2 Lexus dealerships and can speak from experience that, if you take care of your car, under the guidance of the owners manual, your car will last a quite a while.

The money you will save in using an indepenent shop will overshadow the expense, by far, of replacing a major component over time!

Yes, I was a dealership employee. Yes, I have opened a private Lexus repair shop in the Houston area and yes, I have an interest in growing my business!
I would, and still do, take good care of my customers that were clients of the dealership. And If I was still at the dealership, I would take care of them now! Thats my point....

If you are in the Houston area and you need advice or service/repairs, give me a call, I would be happy to advise you or help you!
Old 05-07-07, 05:14 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome back to CL Lextek1. It's been about 6 years since your last post and congrats on your shop.

PM sent
Old 05-11-07, 10:08 PM
Tropheus
Driver School Candidate

LexTek, PM sent