Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Why does Lexus baby it's customers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 01:01 PM
Petrie2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Why does Lexus baby it's customers???

Why does Lexus think that it's owners can't do anything for themselves. I, for one, love to tinker with my car and fix things that I can fix myself. For instance, I'm trying to change a fog lightbulb? The way the lights are positioned, in addition to the owner's manual, makes this almost impossible. For instructions on how to change the bulbs, the owner's manual simply says to take it to the Lexus dealer asap. It doesn't even have instructions on how to adjust the lights if necessary. I have to make phone calls to the service technicians to find anything out. Does Lexus think we're incapable of doing reading and figuring things out for ourselves?

Peter.
Old 12-04-01, 03:02 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default NO...

Lexus vehicles are pretty pricey.

They probably figure anyone wanting to DIY will go in and buy their $200 DIY "help" kit.

For non DIYers it called a shop manual set.
Old 12-05-01, 06:03 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why does Lexus baby it's customers???

Originally posted by Petrie2001
Why does Lexus think that it's owners can't do anything for themselves. .....<snip>
Well, you, along with most of us here, are in the minority as a Lexus owner who likes to 'tinker'. The demographic is one that has more money than time, and would prefer that a professional do everything on their car - i.e. The Dealership.

Besides, the Service Department is easily the primary revenue stream for most any dealership these days.

Hey, tinker all you want. CL is a wealth of info where you can find out how to do just about anything.

Post a thread in the appropriate forum, and you will undoubtedly find exactly the info you desire.

Welcome
Old 12-05-01, 11:34 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default DIY

I would certainly prefer that a professional work on my car, any of them.

But, as was just said, Lexus dealer's service department depends on service revenues to pay wages, etc, etc.

Lexus makes the most reliable vehicles in the marketplace today!

There ARE NO professional mechanics at most Lexus dealers because, mostly, there is no need.

In addition, the on-board diagnostic systems are now so good that anyone wanting to DIY has had it made extremely easy, maybe even just as easy as the "professional" mechanic at the dealer.

So Lexus' service departments are keeping their doors open by replacing transmission oil and differential oil that would normally never be replaced for the life of the car. And just what level of "talent" do you think it takes to do those jobs?
Old 12-07-01, 07:48 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Most Lexus owner don't want to get their hands dirty. On the other hand, I don't have that kind of money and want to drive a lexus, so I have to get my hand dirty
Beside, If I can and have the time I rather do the work myself. Then I know that I did put every nuts and bolts back. Is that tell you something?

Last edited by VQT; 12-07-01 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-07-01, 08:54 AM
Static911

Well, one comment would be:

1) I see you drive an Acura TL. Must be a nice car. Have you had any trouble with your service lately?

Another comment:

2) Go buy the service manual for $150/book. Good investment

For my parents:
They frankly don't have time to "tinker." The opportunity cost for my father to spend on the car than work is tremendous; hence, spending money at a dealership is worth it. Let those who know what to do, do their job.

As for me:

I tinkered too much on my car (without proper information). I messed with some electrical wiring (under the glove compartment)...well, I did some cutting here, cutting there...DAMN, car still runs fine.

static911
Old 12-07-01, 04:54 PM
Petrie2001
Rookie

Yeah, I love my Acura and haven't had any problems with service. The guys that I deal with over at John Eagle rock!!! In our family, we also have a RX300 and an IS300 (look to the left of this post)

I guess I just enjoy doing things myself and not having to run to someone else to have it done for me. I think I might get that service manual.

Peter.
Old 12-10-01, 02:56 AM
black sc
Pole Position

5 letters-1 word
L-A-B-O-R
Try changing any light externally on the Lexus and you'll know why. It isn't hard just, time consuming. What is the labor rate at Lexus anyways per hr?
Old 12-10-01, 11:19 AM
Petrie2001
Rookie

Try changing any light externally on the Lexus and you'll know why. It isn't hard just, time consuming.
I changed all of the front lights of the RX300. I did take a while to get them all switched out, but this was only due to the fact that I had no idea of the best way to get to the lights. If the manual had expanded on "take your Lexus to your dealer as soon as possible" and said that the easiest way to the lights was through the fender, it would've been a cinch.

Peter.