Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Check Engine and VSC Lights ON!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-01, 06:05 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Check Engine and VSC Lights ON!

Howdy all,
My 98 GS400 has been acting very strange lately. I first noticed that I had a problem when I backed outta my driveway and then put the car into Drive. I pushed the accellerator down to pull away and the car didn't respond. The rpms didn't increase and I looked down at the instrument panel and found that the Engine light, VSC, and VSC OFF lights came on. When I pushed the accelerator to the floor, the car responded with high rev's. I then called the stealership and they asked me when I last put gas in the car. I told them the night before. They instructed me to make sure the gas cap is securely tightened, this is a common problem.

So, I did so, turned the car off, then on again. Then off, and on again. This finally made all the lights not come on. Problem solved? Not quite.

The next day, similar problem. I backed outta the driveway, drove about two city blocks and then came to a stop sign. When I pushed the accelerator, the car just sat motionless. When I floored it, it moved. I shut the car off, re-started it and the accellerator pedal worked normal again. However, the three engine lights have been illuminated again. I drive about 50 miles like this, then thought I'd try the old gas cap trick again. Like the dealer said, problem solved.

My concern is that the throtle is not responding when the problem occurs. If I haven't put gas in the car over my two days, then why would the light be caused by the gas cap not being on tight?

Anyone seen this problem? Any suggestions?

-Damon
Old 12-09-01, 08:47 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like your problem is very perplexing, First i would suggest trading your car in and getting a BMW 740IL, Problem solved
Old 12-10-01, 04:03 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Shot in the dark here, but: since unburned hydrocarbons (HC) are an emissions control issue, every mfgr has sensor to make sure of the integrity of the gas cap seal. If it's not sealed, you'll get (at least) a "check engine" warning light. Evidently Lexus ties a few more things in to get your attention.

If the seal of the gas cap has somehow been screwed up (damaged threads, whatever), then you'll get recurrent warning lights which you can probably temporarily fix by resealing the cap. But if the sensor itself has gone faulty, it won't matter if you epoxy the cap on.

Looks to me like you get to have a chat with the Service Department. Sorry. But since it's an emissions issue, your normal warranty doesn't really apply; the EPA requires that your emissions control equipment be effective for 100k miles!
So you should be covered unless you've got a buttload of miles on your car.