Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How hard is it to change our own oil and oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 12:24 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to change our own oil and oil filter?

Has anyone on this board changed their own oilfilter on their GS. I was wondering how hard it is, cause i use to change the oil filter on my camry, cause it's easy and was just wodnering how hard is it for the GS, can't be too hard either.
Old 12-14-01, 01:44 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't done it yet either but looking at the shop manual, looks like the hardest part is removing some or all of the fasteners on the cover under the engine. The manual actually says you only need to remove a few and then just pull the cover to get clearance. Doesn't sound like brain surgery but doesn't sound like Camry teritory either. Haven't crossed the bridge of having someone other than Lexus change the oil. A lot of places will just remove the cover and trash can it for you, of course without telling you, if it is too inconvenient to work around. Have another free Lexus oil change but may look at it a bit more over the holidays.
Old 12-14-01, 03:05 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

done this about a couple times already, piece of cake, just have to open a few bolts that hold the plastic cover under the engine, right directly below the filter, don't need to remove the whole cover, just bend the plastic cover, then put your oil filter remover (generic tool) in and turn, that is it. 15min of work.

Anh
Old 12-14-01, 04:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Cool. Like I said, didn't look too tough. Didn't know exactly how to describe the bending of the cover out of the way. Still have a feeling that over the years if you don't do it yourself, those few bolts are going to disappear.
Old 12-15-01, 01:03 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Shop Manual

Ron - Anh's on the money, even according to the shop manual. Step #2b in changing the oil filter ( as explained in the shop book ) is to "bend the engine under cover as shown in the illustration." Step #2a says to "remove the 3 screws" which R holding the plastic undercover on directly below the filter. Recall all of the fasteners being a 10mm ( oil drain plug's a 14mm ) so a 1/4 drive ratchet or nut driver will do the trick but as U said, they all contact plastic so don't go overboard with the torque when tightening them! Filter's EZ to reach as well & if ya don't go gorilla on it ( I remember that U're a workout nut like me! ), then U won't even need an oil filter wrench to remove it the next time. The manual says "additional 3/4 turn AFTER the rubber gasket contacts the mounting seat" but I can generally get a little more than 1/2 of a turn ( after seal contact ) just by putting some effort on it by hand & it won't leak nor will I need a wrench as I mentioned above. Oops - I forgot that I was such a STUD!! The laughter U now hear is my wife in the background!! :eek: