Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lifter noise on my sc400

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 08:44 AM
ocaban
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise on my sc400

Hello lexus peps!!!
I have a question on my 1995 lexus sc400 with 117.000 miles. Within the past year I have been hearing my lifters knocking. I was wondering if this is normal for the mileage or is there something serious going on here. I purchased it in 2002 with 86.000 miles from 1 previous owner, no noise then. I used oil treatments but to no avail. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-07, 09:12 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not normal. You sure it's a lifter knock? and not a valve? Lifter's tend to be difficult to hear unless there is some serious damage done or coming around the bend shortly. If you're certain it's the lifters, I would get those heads off soon to take a look.
Old 06-25-07, 11:34 AM
ocaban
Driver School Candidate

I'm only going by what a mechanic told me, but your correct it does sound more like a valve to me. It's not a loud knock and seems to be less once I drive a bit. It sounds more like a click,click,click noise. Another mechanic states that maybe they used the wrong oil but I have my oil change every 3 to 4000 miles and my oil man said he uses whats on the cap i.e. 5-30 grade and the click is still there. If it is the valve is that a serious/expensive job?
Old 06-25-07, 02:04 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

The 1uzfe does not have lifters , get it right !!
These are overhead cam so really they are pusher-downers , the cam lobe runs on a bucket with a shim underneath , you probably just need the shims done .
Old 06-26-07, 07:12 AM
ocaban
Driver School Candidate

Yes! Thanks for the reply, thats the answer I was looking for. On that note and my poor knowlege of mechanics I hate to ask but would this be something I should attempt to do myself or take to Toyota or Lexus dealer? Any idea what the cost would be? I only hear the sounds on my left side of the engine and it does not effect my engine speed. But the noise is anoying to me. I did replace my distributer cap, wires and plugs about 2 yrs ago, also my alternator and power stering pump, my power steering was dripping into my alternator therefore I eventually had to replace both, so I do have a little skill.
Old 06-26-07, 09:15 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You should definately do a valve adjustment.. Is it something you can attempt yourself? Sure, it isnt too bad. Just remove the valve covers, and check each cylinder one by one by putting the cams to the backside of the lobe (so there is no pressure on the bucket/shim/valve) and check clearence between the lobe and the bucket. Too much clearence, and you have to swap out the shim.. they make a tool to hold the bucket down and have room to get the shim out. Its time consuming and you have to have a mess of shims ready. Its usually the exhaust side that is out of spec, and with your milage, there are probably a lot of them out of spec. It usually makes more sense to remove the cams (usually just the exhaust cams, cause they're super easy). Hope this helps... sometimes its better to just go to a dealer
Old 06-26-07, 11:26 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richonenz
The 1uzfe does not have lifters , get it right !!
These are overhead cam so really they are pusher-downers , the cam lobe runs on a bucket with a shim underneath , you probably just need the shims done .
Thanks Rich!!!! I didn't even think of that! I think my brain defaulted to all the old Chevy's i've owned!
Old 06-26-07, 01:13 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

No probs and as to doing it yourself that's a toughie !!
It's not rocket surgery but it's close .
The main prob is a supply of shims and that it takes time .
Normally you measure the clearances and then you check ALL your shims , you then get as many correct as you can with the shims you have , then buy the shims you need .
you need to find some-one with a shim kit that will do swops and just charge you for the extra shims you need .
Be prepared to go over some twice if you have never done it before and allow a WHOLE weekend to get the job done .
Old 06-27-07, 06:04 AM
ocaban
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the helpfull replys!!! I also did some research and found the tool I will need in PlaneSoarer site. It does seem a bit challenging so since it is only my left side of the engine towards the rear I am going to check to see if someone can do just that side ( I live on a budget) but the other problem is getting someone who has a clue out here in New Bedford, there great fisherman here but mechanical skills are lacking, evident by the mechanic who told me my lifters may be bad and come to find out from you guys that I dont have lifters. Sometimes I think that if I told them "look there's a dead bird" if they would say where as they look up in the sky, lol.
Old 06-27-07, 06:16 AM
ocaban
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I forgot to send the link the tool I will need and the planetsoarer link for someone else that may need this info. It's not specific to my car but engine is similar:

http://planetsoarer.com/camshafts/camshaft4.html

http://store.autotoolexpress.com/sch88250.html