Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
Old 12-16-14, 12:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 10:28 AM
ChiefSeeth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont forget to apply liquid copper packet to the new sensor on the base where the thread starts and the ring is before you install it back in!
Old 10-16-14, 07:25 PM
Rrkf15c
Driver School Candidate

Changed mine today. Thanks for the info. CEL = gone!
Old 03-27-15, 07:31 AM
LexVoitek
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Video: How to replace Lexus GS 300 Oxygen Sensor (o2 sensor)

Hey guys,

I finally went through the trouble of recording the entire process of changing out the oxygen sensor on a Lexus GS300. Mine is a 2006 AWD.

Quick note: A broken oxygen sensor could screw up your catalytic converter, that's what happened to me, so if you have the Check VSC error message on your dashboard, go to Autozone to have them use the scan tool on your car. A OBD2 scan tool will plug into your OBDII port in your car and it can tell you exactly which sensor is faulty. My car had about 100,000 miles when I taped this video, but I had the dealer change out at least (2) o2 sensors before the same bank 2 sensor 2 went again.

For this procedure you will have to remove the front seat if you have the same problem I did. Others with RWD might not have to remove the front seat. Also this procedure is for a 2006 Lexus GS300 AWD but I bet the process is practically the same on a Lexus IS, LS, RX etc.

One last note, Autozone can give you printed instructions like you'll see me use in the video. I actually printed mine from a program called AllData.

So here is the complete video tutorial of me replacing a Lexus oxygen sensor: bank 2 sensor 2.
Old 10-09-16, 01:54 PM
GS300gen2
Driver School Candidate

I also have a 2000 GS 3000. Was told I need to replace the "rear" 02 sensor; would this correlate to "Bank 1, sensor2"?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 09-29-18, 03:48 PM
ShSh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
I completed this task and added this info into the GS forum and thought it belonged here.

I had a problem looking for someone on this website to show me how to install and located Bank 1 Sensor 2 02 sensor for my 2000 Lexus GS300. After doing research and finding a great 02 sensor part guy on ebay I took on the challenge and found it very easy to do once you get the right part and tool to do the job.

Tools needed or what I used:
* Stanley 3/4 drive expandable ratchet
* 02 Sensor removal socket wrench (to remove the 02 sensor)
* 10mm socket 3/4 drive (to disconnect battery cables)
* Small flat head screwdriver (to detach sensor male and female part)
* Liquid Wrench by GUNK or other lubricating spray to loosen sensor
WD40 would probably work also
* Small flashlight to locate sensor from top of engine
* 02 Sensor Part #14260 from PartREX - ebay name te_x_as
Great communication and excellent support from these guys. The cord length was a little shorter than the original but had enough slack and more to finish the job. I think you can also use the same sensor part for the front one which is bank 1 Sensor 1.

** Photo taken with hood up and looking down into the engine on the passenger side. Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the bottom one circled in yellow. Easy to remove with the Stanley 3/8 drive expandable ratchet.

I listed the tools used and also the correct sensor to change for Bank 1 Sensor 2. The expandable Stanley ratchet was bought from Wal-Mart and came with standard socket set, not metric which I wanted. Paid about $28 for it. The 02 Sensor removal 3/8 drive socket wrench was bought also from ebay for $7 + $5 shipping = $12 from ebay name up4salebytaw. I seen it at Checkers Auto later but don't remember the cost. Liquid Wrench by GUNK was about $2.29 at Wal-Mart also. I know the LEXUS dealer would charge over $250++ to change it, so I tried and found it very easy to do.

1. Park your car in the shade, lift engine hood, wait 1/2 hour until engine is cooler so you can spray the Liquid Wrench around the base of the sensor. FIRST DISCONNECT THE CAR BATTERY (negative side first, positive side second ) once you know the error code (P0141) and before you start spraying or removing anything.
2. After 1/2 hour respray another small dose of Liquid Wrench around sensor and unhook 2 plastic black clips that hold the sensor wires together.
3. Remove the sensor socket area (which is attached to the car) by sliding it in a forward motion. This will make it easier to attach and see how the sensor fitting fits.
4. With a small flat head screwdriver look at the gray female sensor area where you can put a flat head screwdriver to push down a release clip. Keep the clip pressed down and pull apart. The male and female part will easily come apart when pulled.
5. Next attach the 02 Sensor wrench socket to the bottom Bank 1 Sensor 2 Sensor and once fitted on, attach your expandable ratchet and set it for left to loosen.
6. Loosen sensor by pulling up on the ratchet handle loose.
7. Remove 02 sensor wrench and unscrew the rest by hand until 02 sensor is out.
8. Wipe down with paper towel the sensor area where you sprayed the Liquid Wrench.
9. Hand tighten the new 02 Sensor (te_x_as part #14260) and finish tightening with 02 sensor wrench and ratchet until tight as an oil drain plug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN or you may strip the treads.
10. Attach gray plastic male end to female end.
11. Slide back and attach gray plastic male and female part to clip on body.
12. Put back black plastic wire holders.
13. Re-connect the battery terminals with 10mm socket. (positive side first, negative side second)
14. All Done. You will have to reset your radio stations and A/C settings again.
15. Done fast and easy without even jacking up your car!

I hope this helps all who wants to try it themselves. Very easy to do once you find the trouble code using the OBDII scanner (bought from eaby also) and having the right parts in hand. My car CEL (cehck engine light) never came on since and gas mileage improved. Now gettng 22 MPG city /hwy combined. For Hawaii driving that's great! GOOD LUCK!!! DanozLS430

Thanks for the detailed description. Great job! Do you know hoe many miles after replacement and turning off the engine light we have to drive to be able to take it for a smog check?
Old 10-04-21, 03:56 PM
GS300ENTHU
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You are right that's exactly the correct way to replace them

Originally Posted by natedahms
The part numbers for the oxygen sensors for 99-00 GS300 on oxygensensors.com are incorrect. I ordered oxygen sensors for bank 1 sensors 1 and 2. Each costing 100+ dollars. I installed bank 1 sensor 1 and took my GS to Lexus to have the EUC reset and to make sure that was the only problem making my check engine light come on. I was told that the sensor I installed was not working correctly. I wasnt sure if they were telling me the truth since I didnt buy the sensor from Lexus. You know how that goes. I was also told that I needed to replace bank 1 sensor 2. I ordered that sensor from oxygensensors.com as well. I recived it today and went to install it and noticed that the numbers on the sensor didnt match the one I had just taken off my car. I did a search on google to see if these numbers checked out or cross refernced but instead I found a thread on CL where other people were having the same problem I'm having getting the wrong sensors from oxygensensors.com. I called up oxygensensors.com and was questioned as to weather or not I knew what I was doing. I worked on cars for a living longer than oxygensensos.com has been around. I told him that the numbers on the sensor its self did not match up. He told me that the numbers on the sensor had nothing to do with a part number, that they were just a referance as to where they were made. I know better than that so I looked up the numbers on Denso's website and found the correct part numbers. I hope I get this all straightened out. I already put one of the sensors on the car so so much for getting that money back or exchanging the part. Now I see why there sensors are so cheap. You end up paying 200+ anyway....

the correct Denso part numbers are:

(1,2,3 precat) Bank 1 Sensor 1: 234-4048

(1,2,3 postcat) Bank 1 Sensor 2: 234-4626

(4,5,6 precat) Bank 2 Sensor 1: 234-4630

(4,5,6 postcat) Bank 2 Sensor 2: 234-4603

oxygensensors.com has part numbers

(1,2,3 precat) Bank 1 Sensor 1: 234-4048

(1,2,3 postcat) Bank 1 Sensor 2: 234-4622

(4,5,6 precat) Bank 2 Sensor 1: 234-4626(4,5,6 postcat) Bank 2 Sensor 2: 234-4603
you are right about the sequence of the denso part numbers, luckily I had an Auto zone Worker that knew his stuff and he explain the difference in the part numbers, and which o3 sensor belonged to which bank.
Old 12-27-22, 10:19 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks for the write up, it helped me out. I had an O2 socket but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. It seemed that it need to be longer than it was to work for me. I ended up using the boxed in side of a 7/8" wrench. The plug fit through the box in wrench and the sensor broke loose with ease. I took the drivers side wheel off and had easy access to the sensor from under the car. Took me more time to jack the car up, take off the wheel, and put it back on than it did to actually remove and replace the sensor. Disconnected my battery before I started to help clear the code since my code reader was not able to clear it for me. I thought this was going to be way harder than it was.
The following users liked this post:
Byn2222 (06-01-24)
Old 04-27-24, 02:32 PM
Byn2222
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2005 gs300 with 45,000 miles. I don't drive it much (a few miles a day 4 days a week) but the check engine light comes on about once every month or two for a few days. Then it will go off for a month or so. I took it to auto zone when the light was on once and they said I need a need oxygen sensor than the light went off. The car runs fine, should I worry about the check engine light or just drive it until the check engine light will not go out anymore?