Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Is Royal Purple 5w30 any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 01:42 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Max707
With the engine in your Lexus you can run any premium oil that meets Lexus recommendation and change at the recommended service interval and your engine will never have a oil related problem.
Sorry, but you are very wrong. Wanna bet $8000 I paid for new engine? My 1MZ-FE died due to Oil Sludge with oil (Pennzoil 5w30 and 10w40) changed every 5000 miles (Lexus recommends 7500). Are you working for Lexus or something?
Old 07-08-07, 05:11 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetya
Sorry, but you are very wrong. Wanna bet $8000 I paid for new engine? My 1MZ-FE died due to Oil Sludge with oil (Pennzoil 5w30 and 10w40) changed every 5000 miles (Lexus recommends 7500). Are you working for Lexus or something?
You got a sludge engine. I only buy the V8's, best engine made. If you checkout the UOA on www.bobistheoilguy.com for the Lexus V8's they go 10K++ with the best UOA that the members have ever seen. Guess you should of had a V8.
Old 07-08-07, 06:52 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

You got a sludge engine. I only buy the V8's, best engine made. If you checkout the UOA on www.bobistheoilguy.com for the Lexus V8's they go 10K++ with the best UOA that the members have ever seen. Guess you should of had a V8.
Okay, if you mean only Toyota's UR and UZ engines, you are absolutely right.
Old 07-08-07, 08:13 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Okay, if you mean only Toyota's UR and UZ engines, you are absolutely right.
I've had the LS400, SC400, a 1999 LC, and a SC430 and the LX470. My wife did have a 1992 ES300 but the dealer screwed that car up at the 90K miles service (they forgot to put oil in it after the change)
Old 07-08-07, 08:50 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

I've had the LS400, SC400, a 1999 LC, and a SC430 and the LX470. My wife did have a 1992 ES300 but the dealer screwed that car up at the 90K miles service (they forgot to put oil in it after the change)
Wow! They forgot to put new oil after the change? How many people got fired?
Please don't let them work on your brakes or something like that.
Old 07-08-07, 11:29 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Mobil 1 isn't 'pure' synthetic like they use to be. I stopped using mobil 1 in favor for something else since the premium price wasn't worth it for me.

Our car is rated for 5w-30. I just did my oil change two days ago with 5w-20 instead because my daily driving consists of heavy stop and go traffic, plus I only drive 4 miles round trip (2 in the morning, 2 at night) so my engine doesn't even have time to warm up
so 5w20 helps to protect the engine better for short trips?
Old 07-08-07, 11:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

supposedly since the engine doesn't get warm enough to thin out the 30 weight oil. I've never had a problem runnning 5w-20. My engine actually seems a hair quieter with 5w-20, but hardly noticeable unless you actually listen.
Old 07-09-07, 12:05 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah thanks
ill try to get 5w20 then
especially since it is cooler up here in vancouver, canada
not cold but cooler
Old 07-09-07, 07:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
ah thanks
ill try to get 5w20 then
especially since it is cooler up here in vancouver, canada
not cold but cooler
Let me understand your logic. Manufacture says to use 5w30 but a guy on the internet says he uses 5w20 and thinks his engine runs quieter, so you are going to switch to 5w20 . Just some advise. Use what the manufacture recommends and change your oil based on manufacture recommendations. If you want to get creative, use a more expensive synthetic of the same weight that the manufacture recommends and change it more often.
Old 07-09-07, 07:05 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Wow! They forgot to put new oil after the change? How many people got fired?
Please don't let them work on your brakes or something like that.
That was when I lived in Atlanta. I now always check the oil level before I drive off no matter who worked on the car, including me. The dealer gave me the 90K mile service for free and also put an extended warranty on the engine too 120K miles. I moved to another state and it started smoking at start-up at around 115K miles if I remember correctly. I traded it into a local Toyota dealer.
Old 07-09-07, 07:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The issue with not changing oil seems to be a litte more rampant down here. My uncle and I hear all sorts of stories of people that pass by the shop on Saturday morning. Sometimes we do the marked oil filter test to see if anything is done. My uncle has gotten a lot of customers who just like to wait a few minutes while they watch us do it.

If I change oil brand/weight, it is either to correct a problem or improve performance.
Old 07-09-07, 07:38 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me understand your logic. Manufacture says to use 5w30 but a guy on the internet says he uses 5w20 and thinks his engine runs quieter, so you are going to switch to 5w20 . Just some advise. Use what the manufacture recommends and change your oil based on manufacture recommendations. If you want to get creative, use a more expensive synthetic of the same weight that the manufacture recommends and change it more often.
Pretty sure the idea behind message boards such as this is to share experiences and ideas that members have tried and found to work. Buying into your logic, I would have left my stock SC400 intake alone and not done a BFI (since the manufacturer didn't say to), I also would have continued to use the 225/55 series tire (obviously the 275/45 wouldn't yield any traction or performance gain since the manufacturer didn't put it on at the factory).

Additionally, Lexmex had been racing his RX for quite some time here on CL. I've been following all along. He has tried different setups, oils, etc, etc. If he mentions that he tried something and it appeared to work.........I think I'll take his word on it.

Let me understand your logic. A newer member at CL with less than 1 years tenure, overrides a respected, long time member's suggestion because "well, the manufacturer didn't say so ***** <-----insert whine noise here"
Old 07-09-07, 08:06 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Pretty sure the idea behind message boards such as this is to share experiences and ideas that members have tried and found to work. Buying into your logic, I would have left my stock SC400 intake alone and not done a BFI (since the manufacturer didn't say to), I also would have continued to use the 225/55 series tire (obviously the 275/45 wouldn't yield any traction or performance gain since the manufacturer didn't put it on at the factory).

Additionally, Lexmex had been racing his RX for quite some time here on CL. I've been following all along. He has tried different setups, oils, etc, etc. If he mentions that he tried something and it appeared to work.........I think I'll take his word on it.

Let me understand your logic. A newer member at CL with less than 1 years tenure, overrides a respected, long time member's suggestion because "well, the manufacturer didn't say so ***** <-----insert whine noise here"

BURRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
Old 07-09-07, 11:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No he's wanting to switch to 5w-20 because of the cooler climate and the shorter trip. It's not uncommon for people to go outside the manufactor's recommendation, especially since everyone's driving habit is different.

If I had to drive at least 10 miles one way, I would have stuck with 5w-30 for those summer days. But since i drive around 4 miles round trip, my engine does not even get remotely warm enough to warrant a 5w-30 oil service.
Old 07-09-07, 11:48 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu

It's your ride and you pay the bills do what you want. I have no problem with well thought out mod's. 5w30 might be a good thing for someones driving needs. I would first check out bob is the oil guy sight and see what some of the more well informed oil experts thought and also look at some UOA's using 5w20 in vehicles that the manufacture indicated 5w30. Racing a RX???

Quick Reply: Is Royal Purple 5w30 any good?