Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Car Overheated

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 09:05 AM
ilanstylz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Overheated

Ok lastnight driving to work I noticed my cars temp rise dramatically (2002 IS300), I blasted the heater and yet it begin to slow rise and overheat....... I pull over and see smoke coming out of the engine bay....... I didn't open the hood yet because I wasn't sure if I was gonna have fluid spray everywhere.... After letting it cool down for a little bit I popped the hood and noticed coolant fluid on the engine bay and hood, not alot though.......... I checked the reservoir and it was full......... i then opened up the cap on the radiator and it looked completely dry............. I put about 5 bottles of water (20oz) and looked for signs of it leaking from the bottom, but nothing......... I then ran the engine for a little bit and there seemed to be little pressure from the radiator hose to the engine............. ANY IDEAS OF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS? A CRACKED RADIATOR? BAD HOSE? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED......
Old 08-19-07, 02:56 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may have a stuck thermostat, check it
Old 08-20-07, 02:04 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

bad radiator cap
small leak
inoperative thermostat
dirty/corroded radiator

one or more of the above...

I would start with refilling the system with water and checking for leaks - inspect the radiator cap for cracking of the rubber gaskets - replace either way (it also holds pressure via spring pressure), then check for leaks - there is a good chance you have a small leak - water pump, hoses, hose connections, radiator - more than likely one of the above is leaking... if not obvious, run car until it gets to operating temperature and keep looking, if still not obvious, I'd take it to a shop and have it pressure tested... replace leaking part(s) and also the thermostat - thermostats can be damaged by overheating, so it's good, cheap insurance to replace them...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 08-20-07 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 03:50 PM
ilanstylz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'm going to replace the cap and thermostat today......... anyone know what the average cost to have my car checked or diagnosed if its something else???????
Old 08-20-07, 06:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ilanstylz
Thanks I'm going to replace the cap and thermostat today......... anyone know what the average cost to have my car checked or diagnosed if its something else???????
If you were to bring it in to my shop, giving me the description you already gave, I would start with a $20 pressure test... If that showed no leaks, yet it overheated still, I would go to a $79 diagnostic fee, where we check flow from the water pump, radiator and check if the thermostat is completely blocked...

One key element will be any auxiliary fans - if it only overheats at low speed or while parked / stopped, you could have an auxiliary cooling fan that is not operating - you definitely want to check that, and also, check for blockages in front or behind the radiator...
Old 08-20-07, 06:41 PM
EliteLexus
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a blown headgasket or your leaking somewhere if it was bone dry or your cap is bad.