Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

new brake pads... do the rotors have to be machined?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 09:31 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brake pads... do the rotors have to be machined?

awhile back when i bought my gs, hawk hps pads and powerslot slotted rotors were installed on my car. they were great at first, but there has been increasing squealing from them and they tend to get dusty. a mechanic tried chamfering the pads and it helped for awhile, but now the squealing has returned with a vengeance.

i want to change pads (endless SSM-sports), but i'm not sure if i have to machine my brake rotors? i know it's difficult to turn slotted rotors because the slots can damage the bit on the lathe, but someone once told me that not machining them would me that the pads would take longer to bed in and there is a more loss of material/life expectancy?
Old 08-30-07, 03:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
awhile back when i bought my gs, hawk hps pads and powerslot slotted rotors were installed on my car. they were great at first, but there has been increasing squealing from them and they tend to get dusty. a mechanic tried chamfering the pads and it helped for awhile, but now the squealing has returned with a vengeance.

i want to change pads (endless SSM-sports), but i'm not sure if i have to machine my brake rotors? i know it's difficult to turn slotted rotors because the slots can damage the bit on the lathe, but someone once told me that not machining them would me that the pads would take longer to bed in and there is a more loss of material/life expectancy?
you always want to resurface the rotors unless they are perfectly nice and flat with no grooves... I've never had an issue with lathe bits and slotted rotors, however I do turn them at a slower speed just to be on the safe side... the rest of your info is correct...
Old 08-30-07, 04:30 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

here is a thread on this topic
interesting read
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=301741

basically it boils down to how ur rotors are
if they are "true" or not
Old 08-31-07, 10:08 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

thanks guys... once again i did a search and came up snakeyes... what am i doing wrong....
Old 08-31-07, 05:17 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am convinced through 40 years of driving that, if the rotors have serious grooves or other damage, rotors should be turned on a lathe. However, I don't consider the very minor grooves that most rotors exhibit to be a reason for turning. For instance, my Acura Legend just turned 118000 miles on the original rotors and they have NEVER been turned. Nor are they even significantly worn There are very minor and very light grooves but the pads are bedded within a couple of stops. I don't believe that turning rotors is a "must do" item on every brake pad change. Oth, I use OEM or equivalent pads, not the harder types that many places try to push on us.

Oth, I had a Ford that needed the rotors turned every other brake pad change.

Gary
Old 08-31-07, 07:22 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Gary. If a pair of rotor that really need to be turned because of steering wheel vibration, I prefer to install a new set of rotors to avoid getting into a vicious cycle of warping and cutting because cut rotor has less capacity to store heat generated by braking.
Old 08-31-07, 10:57 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also agree as well. I think that if your rotors are smooth, balanced and not warped, then changing out only the brake pads will be fine. After a few stops then they should conform to the exact shape of your rotors.
Old 09-24-07, 05:45 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've heard the same thing. It used to be the "standard of care" to turn the rotors with each pad change. Now I hear if the rotors seem true, don't make them thinner by turning them.
Old 09-24-07, 08:20 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're not having brake fade, or the rotors are still in good shape without deep grooves in it, there is not need to turn the rotors. eventually, the new pads will take shape and form to the surface of the rotors. if you keep turning rotors every time you get a brake job, you're just thinning it, and like all metals, the thinner they get, the faster they heat up, which in this case, is bad for brakes.