Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 11:41 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioning problem

My 97 sc300 has an air conditioning problem. When I turn it on, the ac engages for a few sec about 5sec and then the light starts blinking on the climate control, and the ac disengages. It starts to get cold and then just stops after 5 sec from pushing the ac button. I can get the air ice cold if I keep pushing the ac button on/off. I tried to get freon recharged but the ac shop pretty much ripped me off for 60bucks for the test/charge and said i need them to get a new compressor. I think they are bsing me, because it still engages just stops when the ac light blinks like it doesnt have freon after 5 sec... anybody have this issue?
Old 10-04-07, 12:09 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

If the system was properly charged, then you may have a compressor that is almost seized. If the clutch slips, the system will shut down. If the system has too high of pressure, the system will shut down. Try turning the clutch on the compressor, with the engine off, and see how tough it is. Your clutch or compressor may need to be replaced. In most cases, they are replaced together.
Old 10-04-07, 06:52 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RTGS400
If the system was properly charged, then you may have a compressor that is almost seized. If the clutch slips, the system will shut down. If the system has too high of pressure, the system will shut down. Try turning the clutch on the compressor, with the engine off, and see how tough it is. Your clutch or compressor may need to be replaced. In most cases, they are replaced together.
I concur...

Sounds like the shop might have been on the right track, however without watching the gauges, its hard to say...
Old 10-18-07, 05:50 PM
ttyR2
Driver

My LS400 is doing this and if you watch the compressor clutch, it's obvious the compressor is toast. It doesn't spin at all, and the clutch slips. The AC light blinks in the dash as well. Oh...and the clutch gets hotter than f!$@#$ when it slips. Don't ask me how I know....
Old 10-21-07, 06:56 AM
platinumLS
Driver School Candidate

Default Heres Is Ur Problem

Originally Posted by eliteskill
My 97 sc300 has an air conditioning problem. When I turn it on, the ac engages for a few sec about 5sec and then the light starts blinking on the climate control, and the ac disengages. It starts to get cold and then just stops after 5 sec from pushing the ac button. I can get the air ice cold if I keep pushing the ac button on/off. I tried to get freon recharged but the ac shop pretty much ripped me off for 60bucks for the test/charge and said i need them to get a new compressor. I think they are bsing me, because it still engages just stops when the ac light blinks like it doesnt have freon after 5 sec... anybody have this issue?
UR PROBLEM IS THE A/C CLUTCH RELAY IN UR FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD..LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM ON FUSE BOX COVER AND LOOK FOR A RELAY MARKED MAG/CLUTCH. YOUR CAR HAS A MAGNETIC A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH AND THE RELAY THAT CONTROLS THAT CLUTCH IS NO GOOD.U TURN ON UR A/C ITS NICE AND COLD THEN THE LITTLE GREEN LIGHT STARTS TO BLINK AND THEN THE A/C STARTS TO GET WARM (RIGHT) AND IN ORDER FOR U TO GET THE A/C COLD AGAIN U HAVE TO PRESS THE A/C BUTTON OFF AND BACK ON FOR IT TO WORK BUT AFTER U DO THAT A LITTLE WHILE AFTER IT DOES IT ALL OVER AGAIN..CHANGE THE RELAY
Old 10-21-07, 07:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by platinumLS
UR PROBLEM IS THE A/C CLUTCH RELAY IN UR FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD..LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM ON FUSE BOX COVER AND LOOK FOR A RELAY MARKED MAG/CLUTCH. YOUR CAR HAS A MAGNETIC A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH AND THE RELAY THAT CONTROLS THAT CLUTCH IS NO GOOD.U TURN ON UR A/C ITS NICE AND COLD THEN THE LITTLE GREEN LIGHT STARTS TO BLINK AND THEN THE A/C STARTS TO GET WARM (RIGHT) AND IN ORDER FOR U TO GET THE A/C COLD AGAIN U HAVE TO PRESS THE A/C BUTTON OFF AND BACK ON FOR IT TO WORK BUT AFTER U DO THAT A LITTLE WHILE AFTER IT DOES IT ALL OVER AGAIN..CHANGE THE RELAY
well, that is a fair GUESS I suppose... however I would say it has about a 1 in 10 chance of working... when relays die, they typically don't work at all, meaning it would never engage the clutch... most of the time at least... so, possibility, yes, for sure fix, probably not...
Old 10-21-07, 05:21 PM
platinumLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
well, that is a fair GUESS I suppose... however I would say it has about a 1 in 10 chance of working... when relays die, they typically don't work at all, meaning it would never engage the clutch... most of the time at least... so, possibility, yes, for sure fix, probably not...
I am a ase certified tech that gets my pay checks writen by lexus..the problem that this man is having is what i typed. This happens even in the new lexus rx,lx,gx i fix them daily sir. 99% of the problems that i read on this site i deal with from monday to friday and sometimes on saturday and im here to help people on this web site cuz to pay 100 bucks for the dealer just to tell u wants wrong with ur car and not fix it i think is kind of crazy. So i come here to spead my knowledge about the vehicles the we all love and drive (including myself). So if i were the gentleman with this problem i would want to try my "FAIR GUESS" because it is a SURE FIX....THANK U
Old 10-21-07, 05:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by platinumLS
I am a ase certified tech that gets my pay checks writen by lexus..the problem that this man is having is what i typed. This happens even in the new lexus rx,lx,gx i fix them daily sir. 99% of the problems that i read on this site i deal with from monday to friday and sometimes on saturday and im here to help people on this web site cuz to pay 100 bucks for the dealer just to tell u wants wrong with ur car and not fix it i think is kind of crazy. So i come here to spead my knowledge about the vehicles the we all love and drive (including myself). So if i were the gentleman with this problem i would want to try my "FAIR GUESS" because it is a SURE FIX....THANK U
oooohhhhh ASE certified... the ASE tests were some of the easiest tests I've ever taken...

I run a repair shop and know that to generalize a fix to a problem that could have multiple reasons is ridiculous... I never said you were wrong, but I guarantee there are multiple causes for that issue - a bad pressure switch, a compressor that is not working properly, clutch not working properly, as well as others...

You do work at a dealership though - it's typical of techs I've hired from dealerships to want to throw parts at a problem... At our shop, we do some real diagnostic work and know the fix for sure - no guessing... now, admit it, you are guessing at the answer, educated guess, yes, but it is definitely still a guess...
Old 10-22-07, 02:52 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

update: some wires were fried behind my climate control. i had to redo the most of the wireing and extend a few, after that ac is back up and working. my friend found that out after doing the test codes from the climate control. He found the wires to the solar sensor was toasted. so if the climate control cant detect the temp/sunlight/etc it will shutoff my ac when i try to do blast COLD air as a safety feature. so we got them fixed and im good now. thanks for helping out everyone!
Old 10-22-07, 02:58 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

so much for the relay being bad...
Old 10-22-07, 04:31 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

O.K guys, diag. the A/C problem or electrical problem on the internet forum is very tough and there is no SURE FIX without looking at the car, AC gauge, test every component. I mean the history of the car( accident), freon level , connectors, and so on.

No need to call each other out. I respected both of you and your experience on the Lexus. Please give the guy the best of your knowledge and let the guy decide what to do. My best advice is the get the diag. properly by somebody who know what they're doing. As of the SC300 with A/C light blinking I suspect the compressor or a/c clutch or some leaky from the a/c compressor caused the clutch to slipped.

The A/C relay may work on the newer ES/RX and GX that stated on one of the TSB,but the OP car is the 97 SC300.
Old 10-22-07, 04:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, just see the post from the OP and the problem is fixed. I was wrong about the AC compressor...

Now, there's no sure fix on internet forum, just some idea and recommendation, that's all...
Old 10-24-07, 10:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Now, there's no sure fix on internet forum, just some idea and recommendation, that's all...
which is exactly what I was trying to say...
Old 12-16-07, 08:07 PM
Scotty93
Driver

My AC light started blinking the other day when I had the defroster on. I tried to add R134a, but the system wouldn't take a charge (still had a lot of refrigerant in the can after I disconnected it after about 10 minutes). The clutch spins freely, and did not get warm. It does seem to turn on when I hit the ac switch. After reading through this thread, I'm pretty confused. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-16-07, 08:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Scotty93
My AC light started blinking the other day when I had the defroster on. I tried to add R134a, but the system wouldn't take a charge (still had a lot of refrigerant in the can after I disconnected it after about 10 minutes). The clutch spins freely, and did not get warm. It does seem to turn on when I hit the ac switch. After reading through this thread, I'm pretty confused. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott
yup, are you able to really diagnose this yourself with proper tools???

my advise would be to take it to someone who knows what they are doing and pay the diag fee...

there are a few problems that could cause that - low refrigerant, bad compressor (internal?), pressure sensor, or others...

if you really feel you can diagnose it, then I'll get you some info...

Quick Reply: air conditioning problem