Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Opinion wanted about control arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 09:32 AM
leavehard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion wanted about control arm replacement

My local repair shop says I need a lower control arm on my 95 LS for state inspection. They quoted me 500 bucks to repair including an alignment. It's just the bushing that's bad, but they claim they cannot buy anything but a replacement arm. Don't think they really want to be bothered with locating and then pressing out/in the bushing. Does this price seem reasonable ? Also, they didn't suggest it, but shouldn't I replace the lower ball joint at the same time ?

Thx
Old 11-09-07, 12:39 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

That's way too much , Toyolex has the bush for about $50.00 .
Also you should do both sides and the ball joints while you are at it .
If it was me I would be doing rack rubbers and sway bar rubbers also and while it was apart get them to check out the upper control arms , they are availiable from Arnotts now for $200.00 the pair .
Old 11-09-07, 03:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On your 1995 LS, it's the caster arms that goes bad. It's mount on the lower control arms on one end and the other end mounted on the sub frame that hold the engine. When this bushing goes bad you can hear it pretty well went you step on brake at low speed(clunking noise).
You can't buy just the bushing.For $500.00 with parts and labor and alignment sound about right.
Old 11-09-07, 06:34 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Need to know the exact arm you're speaking of, but if its the one VVT-i is describing, then 500 is a smokin deal.
Old 11-09-07, 07:58 PM
leavehard
Rookie

Originally Posted by RTGS400
Need to know the exact arm you're speaking of, but if its the one VVT-i is describing, then 500 is a smokin deal.
Rt. LOWER CONTROL ARM

Is there more than one ? I know the upper is a bit more $$$.
Old 11-09-07, 09:16 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Well there are control arms in the front and rear... so i didnt know which. After re-reading your post, you talk about ball joints, so now i can see you're talking about the fronts. The part you're talking about, is usually refered to as a "strut rod" at my shop. it goes from the spindle to the front end of the frame and has a rubber bushing on the front. Or are you talking about the lower control arm itself.. either way, i think 500 is a decent price for that work, and yes, i would probably do ball joints at the same time, it shouldnt be any additional labor.
Old 11-10-07, 01:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

not sure but when you guys mention the "Caster Arm" what exactly are you talking about. I know that both VVT-i and RTGS400 are lexus techs and all but iirc the front lower suspension on the 2nd gen LS400 had basically:

-Lower Control Arm
-Lower Ball Joint
-Strut Bar
-Hub/Knuckle assy.
-tie rod end
and of course shock mount and a couple braces.

normally on the 95-97LS what goes bad first are the Strut Rod bushings, which are available from sponsor L-Tunedparts for about $100ish/side (whole bar w/bushing) or about 45-50/side for just the bushing.

if the Control arm bushings are bad you are looking at around $250-300/side for OEM control arms (good idea to do both sides together). not sure about control arm bushings, i know Lexus doesnt offer them but aftermarket may or may not be available. No, 89-94 aftermarket bushings will NOT fit.

if they Lower Ball Joint is bad, just replace it relatively cheap and low labor. if the shop states that the lower control arm is bad, ask them if it is the lower ball joint or the bushings in the arm themselves, as a lot of shops will order the parts for and therefore get the labor money for doing a full LCA swap where a mere LBJ swap is needed.

oh yea, how the hell would bad LCA bushings fail u during a state inspection????? ball joint i could understand but BUSHINGS?!?!!

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-10-07 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-10-07, 10:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The caster arm is that that long arm with one end near the balljoint, and the other end connected to the chassis through a rubber bushing?
Old 11-10-07, 01:20 PM
leavehard
Rookie

I assume this is the part they are referring to..
Old 11-10-07, 01:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by GSteg

The caster arm is that that long arm with one end near the balljoint, and the other end connected to the chassis through a rubber bushing?
thats also (and primarily, even in the FSM) called the Strut Bar assy.
Originally Posted by leavehard
I assume this is the part they are referring to..
That is the Lower Control arm and Lower Ball joint.
Old 11-10-07, 02:21 PM
leavehard
Rookie

Yessir, I guess it is. Just wondering whether their estimate includes the ball joint ? Kinda doubt it , since no mention was made of the ball joint. But, it would seem rather silly to replace the arm and not the ball joint, wouldn't it ?
I think that part (lower control arm only) lists for @ 120 bucks ? If that's the case, the 500 does seem a bit steep.
Old 11-10-07, 02:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

nooo sir, the lower control arm alone is over $200 and then you would want to replace the lower ball joint at the same time since its all open.

but this hinges that it is the bushings that are bad in the LCA, and its not just a bad LBJ.
Old 11-10-07, 03:30 PM
jz4203
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"On your 1995 LS, it's the caster arms that goes bad. It's mount on the lower control arms on one end and the other end mounted on the sub frame that hold the engine. When this bushing goes bad you can hear it pretty well went you step on brake at low speed(clunking noise)."

I've had this "clunking noise" for about a year now. I haven't felt any problem with steering, braking, etc.. I thought it might just be the backing plate for the front brake. My tires seem to be wearing evenly (no pull to either side). So, if it's the caster arm, what should I be concerned about? Could my lower ball joints break? Something real bad happen? Any way for me to check it out? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 11-10-07, 03:35 PM
leavehard
Rookie

Thanks. Well according to the shop, it was just the bushing that was bad, but they had no access to the bushing alone, hence the need for the entire arm. To answer one of your earlier posts Drifter; I think they are saying that it requires replacement to pass our state inspection requirements. They said nothing bout the ball joint. Mebbe a communication prob ?

Suppose I'll ask how much add'l a new ball joint will cost and do the job right.
Old 11-10-07, 06:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by jz4203
"On your 1995 LS, it's the caster arms that goes bad. It's mount on the lower control arms on one end and the other end mounted on the sub frame that hold the engine. When this bushing goes bad you can hear it pretty well went you step on brake at low speed(clunking noise)."

I've had this "clunking noise" for about a year now. I haven't felt any problem with steering, braking, etc.. I thought it might just be the backing plate for the front brake. My tires seem to be wearing evenly (no pull to either side). So, if it's the caster arm, what should I be concerned about? Could my lower ball joints break? Something real bad happen? Any way for me to check it out? Thanks for any feedback.
if it is the strut bar bushing gone bad, then the car will Clunk/thump over bumps, maybe clunk when the brakes are applied, and the car might squeak/creak when the brakes are applied even when the car is stationary. the bushings alone or the whole bar is available from Lexus iirc.

Originally Posted by leavehard
Thanks. Well according to the shop, it was just the bushing that was bad, but they had no access to the bushing alone, hence the need for the entire arm. To answer one of your earlier posts Drifter; I think they are saying that it requires replacement to pass our state inspection requirements. They said nothing bout the ball joint. Mebbe a communication prob ?

Suppose I'll ask how much add'l a new ball joint will cost and do the job right.
forum sponsor Carson Toyota can get you just the bushings, they may not be rubber, rahter stiffer polyurethane, and will degrade right quality somewhat, but its still a LOT cheaper than all new arms.

Quick Reply: Opinion wanted about control arm replacement