Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Automatic Tilt Steering Motor I just came up with a great idea...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 08:24 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how this thread is offering incorrect information. I just asked if anyone could suggest a grease to use...

Back on topic. I'm just going to use the toyota/lexus grease (P/N 08887-02007). That should make mine alot quieter. Since there is nothing mechanically wrong with it. Just putting some new grease on the gears to make it operate smoothly and quietly as possible. Hope this is the only type of grease you can put on it. It's not cheap $32.26.
Old 11-27-07, 09:24 PM
lxsv8
Rookie

So lets get back to where this thread started!!!

Originally Posted by lxsv8
Let us all know the results!
Old 11-27-07, 09:29 PM
lxsv8
Rookie

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Do you guys even know there is a search function on this site???

Search "tilt steering" and the FIRST thing you'll find is Curry's DIY compilation thread. Within that is the steering column repair. In THAT, you would have found that the grease is not common and is unique to the repair shops and is designed to work with the plastics used in the gears. Alternative greases & lubricants will only make the situation worse.

Now, as has been the case as of late, we have yet another duplictae thread offering incorrect information.

I guess before we all read any new post now we should all search and ensure that it has not been discussed before and then jump on the guy that started the thread. If something has been discussed before and someone is aware of it why not just point the guy in the right direction. Before posting I will always search but often it is difficult to get to the correct info (and yes other times a few choice keywords will go straight to the answer that you are looking for)
Old 11-28-07, 09:13 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

I will let you guys know whether or not it made the overall operation of the tilt steering quieter as in the RX330 I drove whenever I feel like paying $30.00 for the very small amount of grease I will need. Hopefully its sooner than later I think it will make it alot quieter considering it hasn't been re-lubricated in the last decade.
Old 11-29-07, 08:19 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lxsv8
I guess before we all read any new post now we should all search and ensure that it has not been discussed before and then jump on the guy that started the thread. If something has been discussed before and someone is aware of it why not just point the guy in the right direction. Before posting I will always search but often it is difficult to get to the correct info (and yes other times a few choice keywords will go straight to the answer that you are looking for)
In actuality, YES!!!! Before you start any new thread you should search first for either the answer to your question or to see if the info has been posted already.

I've been here for almost 4 years now, which is a small amount of time compared to the real OG members. In my short 4 year span, I have seen certain topics repeated over and over and over and over. It's quite obvious that the members creating these threads are not searching for information.

I apologize to the OP for my first post in this thread as he was mainly discussing a method to improve the tilt/telscope function of the column, but a search would have also yielded the info to conclude that a new thread is unecessary.

As for your suggestion that if we are aware of a previous discussion, just point the person in that direction.......well that would entail a search now wouldn't it? And I would be doing the search for the person that should have done the search in the first place, in essence, doing the work for them. I fail to see how that solves anything.
Old 11-29-07, 08:30 AM
Classified
Driver

Hey mkorsu, can I have a Shrute Buck? I just need 999 more so I can get an extra 5 mins of lunch. BTW I love this thread. It's very entertaining to say the least.
Old 11-29-07, 04:40 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I think the noise comes from the motor itself and not from the gears. I lubricated my power seats gears and it still sounds the same. I guess the newer models use quieter motors in all their powerd stuff.
Old 12-01-07, 05:53 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS4
I think the noise comes from the motor itself and not from the gears. I lubricated my power seats gears and it still sounds the same. I guess the newer models use quieter motors in all their powerd stuff.
Agreed. Mine was making a slight sound, not too irritating but took it into the dealer anyway. It was the motor and would've been EXPENSIVE if not for the warranty.