Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Automatic Tilt Steering Motor I just came up with a great idea...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 09:39 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Tilt Steering Motor I just came up with a great idea...

Hopefully you guys will think this is a good idea as well. I got this idea after two different events. One being in a new loaner rx330 while my car was at the Lexus dealer months ago. And the other having to do with my garage door.

I noticed on the new rx330 the tilt steering motor was very quiet when it went up and down. At least quieter than mine in my sc400. I recently lubricated my garage door track/threaded rod with grease. Can you guess what I'm thinking? After lubricating the garage door it was much quieter during operation. So I plan to remove the covers on the steering column and apply grease to the gears. I'm sure it will make much more quiet probably like when it was new.

Don't get me wrong, mine isn't loud at all. I just noticed it was noticeably quieter in the rx330. I believe after applying some grease it will be much quieter. Any suggestions on what type of thick grease I should use? Maybe some of the same grease I used on the garage door thats sold just for that purpose... Don't you just love it when a good idea comes to mind.
Old 11-26-07, 11:51 PM
lxsv8
Rookie

Let us all know the results!
Old 11-27-07, 05:52 AM
SteveTPA
Rookie

I hope it works! I noticed the same thing between my SC400 and my
Infiniti Q45.
Old 11-27-07, 06:36 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

do it and post back!
Old 11-27-07, 06:47 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Lithium grease probably would work best.
Old 11-27-07, 07:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys even know there is a search function on this site???

Search "tilt steering" and the FIRST thing you'll find is Curry's DIY compilation thread. Within that is the steering column repair. In THAT, you would have found that the grease is not common and is unique to the repair shops and is designed to work with the plastics used in the gears. Alternative greases & lubricants will only make the situation worse.

Now, as has been the case as of late, we have yet another duplictae thread offering incorrect information.
Old 11-27-07, 09:35 AM
xcelr8
Pole Position

So when you say YOU GUYS you really mean the GUY who started this thread. When you say INCORRECT INFO is now being presented you mean a suggestion by me. So in fact, NO incorrect info is presented. Calm down. It'll be ok.
Old 11-27-07, 10:19 AM
jmwenick
Driver

Exactly. If we all just "Searched", there would be no point in having the "New Thread" Button would there. How about you keep searching and we'll keep talking/Discussing things that have been talked about before. Big deal.
Old 11-27-07, 01:24 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

My tilt steering motor assy. doesn't need any repair it just needs to be cleaned/lubricated to make it operate a little quieter. I found a part number for the grease that was suggested for the tilt steering assy. Maybe if the thread wasn't inside another thread I would have noticed it. Or maybe the words I searched with did not reveal the same results. Who knows. No reason to get bent out of shape about it. I will let you all know the results when I get the "proper grease".
Old 11-27-07, 01:49 PM
jmwenick
Driver

Hey, could you share that Lube part number? I'm needing to do the tilt fix, and might as well re-lube at the same time. Thanks
Old 11-27-07, 01:59 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmwenick
Hey, could you share that Lube part number? I'm needing to do the tilt fix, and might as well re-lube at the same time. Thanks
I would share it with you, but I'm too busy "searching", while you guys are "discussing".
Old 11-27-07, 03:06 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In before the lock!

and y is it that people are taking the moderator's job into their own hands

Leave it to the mods please!
Old 11-27-07, 04:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Do you guys even know there is a search function on this site???

Search "tilt steering" and the FIRST thing you'll find is Curry's DIY compilation thread. Within that is the steering column repair. In THAT, you would have found that the grease is not common and is unique to the repair shops and is designed to work with the plastics used in the gears. Alternative greases & lubricants will only make the situation worse.

Now, as has been the case as of late, we have yet another duplictae thread offering incorrect information.
This is absolutely correct. If they wish to screw up their telescoping systems let them. It's obvious that the correct information is going to be ignored. I look forward to the "my telescoping gears are eaten to nubs" thread preceding this one.

It is also correct that had the OP searched he could have added his "idea" to the currently existing thread already in progress on this topic and the correct info would have been at reference to the others interested in this possibility rather than this idea standing alone without proper reference to the facts which is going to kill a lot of telescoping systems.

Que sera sera......... Carson better back order a few sets of gears after this one. It's the equivalent of trying to use WD40 instead of 10w-40 in your engine.
Old 11-27-07, 04:47 PM
xcelr8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
This is absolutely correct. If they wish to screw up their telescoping systems let them. It's obvious that the correct information is going to be ignored. I look forward to the "my telescoping gears are eaten to nubs" thread preceding this one.

It is also correct that had the OP searched he could have added his "idea" to the currently existing thread already in progress on this topic and the correct info would have been at reference to the others interested in this possibility rather than this idea standing alone without proper reference to the facts which is going to kill a lot of telescoping systems.

Que sera sera......... Carson better back order a few sets of gears after this one. It's the equivalent of trying to use WD40 instead of 10w-40 in your engine.

No better way than to jump on people, overreacting? I say there is. Check it out:

"Hey guys there's another thread that will help you. Go there and a moderator will close this one."

Sheesh.
Old 11-27-07, 04:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Is there any particular reason why you think I was looking for a response from you? That is the second time in this thread you've felt the need to take it upon yourself as the one being spoken to.

BACK ON TOPIC.

Quick Reply: Automatic Tilt Steering Motor I just came up with a great idea...