Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Alternator failing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 12:33 PM
Datguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator failing?

This weekend my car(98 GS 400) started acting real funny.

After sitting for about a week, I tried to start it and it turned over but wouldn't start...seemed like it wasn't getting fuel or something. I did this about 4 times and then car finally started and drove fine. I ran two errands starting and re-starting the car each time and it started fine. However, when I got to the Burger King drive through I went to lower my window and it started moving really, really slow then I noticed my radio turned off and the battery light came on but when I would take my foot of the brake the light would go off. I left the drive-through and the car rode home fine. I'm going to take it to Autozone to have them test the battery and alternator but just wanted to ask here first to see if this is an indication of a alternator going bad.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-07, 04:40 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You probably has a weak battery.
Old 12-10-07, 11:03 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Definately get the alternator and battery tested.. something like this is usually an alternator issue not putting out enough juice at idle.. but a very weak battery can exhibit the same problem. So its misleading. You likely have a weak cell in your battery, like Nuum said, have it loaded tested and go from there.
Old 12-11-07, 03:09 AM
Datguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off let me say I really love Club Lexus...I have learned so much by being a member. Ok with that said, I went to Autozone to have my battery/alternator tested. They first tested the battery and said that it was bad but because the battery was bad they couldn't test the alternator. So they suggested I change the battery and come back to get the alternator tested. Now my battery is only 2 years old and it was purchased from Lexus, so I was skeptical thinking the battery was the only problem. So I was left with a choice to either buy a new battery or just change the alternator...but wait look up in the sky it's a bird, it's a plane.. No it's Coco-bun(a friend who I've recently met through Club Lexus)to my rescue. He pulls up to Autozone right when they're telling me my battery is dead and is like "You wanna use my battery to test your alternator" So we swap batteries in the parking lot, they test the alternator and tell me it's good. So I'm headed to Lexus to get my battery replaced, hopefully under warranty. Thanks for the replies, I'll post again once I get the battery.