Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Motor Mount Replace '99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 06:32 PM
bankr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor Mount Replace '99 LS400

Is there a "how-to" somewhere that I can use to replace my motor mounts? I will also replace the trans. mount. Judging by the length of the threaded portion of the front mounts, there is quite a bit of clearance required. The engine must be raised for this, I want to do it safely and not break anything. Got the parts coming from Carson.

Thank you.

Bankr
Old 01-12-08, 09:23 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

it would make your life a lot easier if you had access to a lift. you need to jack the engine up, theres a fine line between not enough, and too much.

take note of the clutch fan hitting the cowl (you could remove it), and the low pressure power steering line. i have broken a few of those.

on the driver's side, you will need to remove the oil filter to get access. good luck.
Old 01-13-08, 01:01 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

A better option for getting clearance to change the mounts is to drop the front cross member , having done this job I wouldn't do it by lifting the engine , when you lift the engine you strain all the connections and hose's .
Prob is if you drop the crossmember you have to hold the engine up in place .
Old 01-18-08, 04:24 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by richonenz
A better option for getting clearance to change the mounts is to drop the front cross member , having done this job I wouldn't do it by lifting the engine , when you lift the engine you strain all the connections and hose's .
Prob is if you drop the crossmember you have to hold the engine up in place .
i would be worried about my alignment with dropping the cross member down, plus, as you said, the added problem of supporting the engine.

it is much easier for the diy'er to just jack up the engine. just remove the clutch fan and be cautious of the power steering hose. i cant even count how many times ive done this with no problems. even on 250,000+ mile LS's and no problems.

just my 2 cents.
Old 01-25-08, 06:28 PM
bankr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions. It's been too cold to work in my unheated garage, so I made a deal with the Dealership, they changed them(3) in about an hour or so. Seems like the problem got worse after the weather got really cold. Had a high frequency vibration(too high for tires/wheels) and a drumming sensation in my ears, felt like the concushion you sense with a back window open. Seems much better now, will wait a while for more time to evaluate.

Thanks again for the help.

Bankr
Old 02-14-08, 07:48 PM
bankr
Driver School Candidate

The new tranny and motor mounts have been installed for about 3 weeks, and I can tell you the smooth feel of the car is back. No more high frequency vibration and droning in my ears. My car has 120 K miles and I recommend replacing these parts to anyone with this problem. I think the labor charge can be negotiated if all are done at once. The guy at the dealership said he uses a screw jack to rotate the engine so as not to cause fan and other connection problems??? Since all mounts are to be replaced, they will all be loose anyway. I'm not sure how this is accomplished.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

Bankr