Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

SC400 Jumped timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 02:05 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC400 Jumped timing belt?

Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced what I believe is a jumped timing belt in my '94 SC400. Earlier this week I pulled away from a stop light, making a right turn, and I felt a hesitation and then lost almost all power, increased exhaust noise, rumble at idle, etc (all the classic signs of late timing). The car will start normally, but I have a steady low vacuum (15 inches). There is no engine light on and I checked for trouble codes, but none were present. I had the timing belt changed at 81K and again at 160K, when I also had the drive belt tensioner, cam seals, crank seal, timing idler, timing belt pulley, water pump, thermostat, etc changed. I now have 208K on the car. I noticed in the invoice from 2004 when I had all the work done that the timing belt tensioner was not listed. I'm wondering if it's leaking down and causing a loose belt. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks for taking the time to read this ...
Old 01-05-08, 10:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

very possible, but there are also other issues that could cause that too (serious vacuum leak, etc)

I would start by checking the cams relative to one another - a fairly simple, quick process, and then go from there...
Old 01-06-08, 06:02 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

O.K, your engine sound like you have clogged exhaust system and no power, no CEL, correct?
Check your coil pack. You have two of them. One located by the AC compressor and another one on top of thermostat housing. The most common one that goes bad is the one by the compressor because it closer to the exhaust.
Old 01-06-08, 05:50 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVT-i
O.K, your engine sound like you have clogged exhaust system and no power, no CEL, correct?
Check your coil pack. You have two of them. One located by the AC compressor and another one on top of thermostat housing. The most common one that goes bad is the one by the compressor because it closer to the exhaust.
Man! I sure would be happy if that was the problem!!! I've never changed the coils before. I'm gonna check that too. I'll keep everyone posted ...

Thanks!
Old 01-06-08, 06:22 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I just pulled the high tension wire off the coil next to the AC compressor and IT MADE ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY THE ENGINE RAN! No jumping spark when I plugged it back in --- nothing. Sounds like you may have solved my problem VVT-i!!! If so, I'll sure be a happy camper!!!!
Old 01-11-08, 06:40 PM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by SLEXC400
I just pulled the high tension wire off the coil next to the AC compressor and IT MADE ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY THE ENGINE RAN! No jumping spark when I plugged it back in --- nothing. Sounds like you may have solved my problem VVT-i!!! If so, I'll sure be a happy camper!!!!
Changed the coils a couple of days ago and the car is purring like a kitten again! Gotta love this forum!!!
Old 01-12-08, 11:58 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEXC400
Changed the coils a couple of days ago and the car is purring like a kitten again! Gotta love this forum!!!
I'm glad you got it fixed....