Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Cloudy Headlight Fix for about $1.29

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 10:26 PM
hr43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cloudy Headlight Fix for about $1.29

Hey guys, my headlights were pretty cloudy, I considered replacements...(too much money), thought about having them polished,...To much time, $20 at auto supply). I figured I'd try a little toothpaste, turns out it works like a champ, after 15 minutes of elbow grease my lights look almost new again. I just put a little water and an eraser sized dab of paste on a terry cloth rag and went to town, when done I rinsed with water wiped them dry and put a coat of wax on them. Looks great, fast, cheap, what's not to love! I will post pics when the weather is not so crappy

hr

Last edited by hr43; 01-15-08 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-08, 10:36 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what I did, too, really makes a difference. Nothing worse than unclear browning headlights. I want to do the insides someday.
Old 01-20-08, 07:53 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hr43
Hey guys, my headlights were pretty cloudy, I considered replacements...(too much money), thought about having them polished,...To much time, $20 at auto supply). I figured I'd try a little toothpaste, turns out it works like a champ, after 15 minutes of elbow grease my lights look almost new again. I just put a little water and an eraser sized dab of paste on a terry cloth rag and went to town, when done I rinsed with water wiped them dry and put a coat of wax on them. Looks great, fast, cheap, what's not to love! I will post pics when the weather is not so crappy

hr
Now you're talking about cleaning just the exterior, right?

This does not solve the fogging up problem.
Old 01-21-08, 10:22 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a great thread in the Lighting section on just this topic. It gave me some incentive and confidence to fix the headlights on my wife's old Eclipse we just recently sold. In fact, I had just completed the repair when the buyer came to the house. He was impressed with the results and I am sure that helped give him some idea of the quality of maintenance I performed on the car while in my ownership. I took some pictures. When I say these light lenses were cloudy- they were bad. I could not see the light bulbs inside the assembly from the front of the car. Many folks start their repairs using 600 or 1000 grit wet sandpaper. I started with 320 grit. I would spend approx 7 minutes with each grit working my way up 320-600-1000-1500-2000. Sanding in a circular pattern, applying light to moderate pressure using ALOT of water. I already had the sandpaper so I spent no money on this repair.
A friend picked up some 3M polishing compound from the dealership where he he works and some finishing glaze. After wiping off the water from the wet sanding, I moved to the polishing compound. 4 applications of this made the lenses look brand new. 3 applications of the glaze was more for long term sunlight protection. Let me know if you want to see pictures!

Chris