Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

30K service

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 04:41 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 30K service

Is going for the service needed? What if you just change the major parts, such as oil change, oil filter, and the ac filter...will that be sufficient?

My car is an 06 IS350

Last edited by radicalrev; 02-08-08 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 06:40 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Year and model of the car may help, because some of the newer model has Super Long Life Coolant and WS trans fluid that you don't need to change it until 90K.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210076
Old 02-07-08, 05:45 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
Is going for the service needed? What if you just change the major parts, such as oil change, oil filter, and the ac filter...will that be sufficient?
as VVTI said, without knowing which car you have, its hard to say for sure, but for the most part, Lexus' all have extended interval everything... But there are some parts that should be inspected by a professional... IMO, Lexus charges way too much just to look at things... An independent shop should charge $20 or less to do a full inspection on the car...

One way or another, it should at least be looked at to make sure there are no impending problems...
Old 02-07-08, 10:32 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking at your profile, it says you have an 06 IS350. The coolant in that car is extended life and doesnt need to be changed at 30k, same for the transmission fluid. The rear differential, however, if it has never been changed, i would change that. The first time you change it, the fluid always looks bad, and you can clean off the magnet on the drain plug. Other than that, i would inspect everything (brakes, tires, etc), and do as you suggested, an oil filter change, cabin air filter, but also an engine air filter. Hope this helps..
Old 02-08-08, 04:31 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Thanks for responding guys...really appreciate it...yes I have an 06 IS350...and I have no single clue about maintenance and the parts I should change...anyway the thing is i bought this car used...and have no idea if the rear differential has been changed....should i change it anyway??

This is what Lexus recommends for the 30K service - http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/m...artner=edmunds

1. Air Filter (Is this the air intake's filter? if so should I just wait if I want to buy an aftermarket Intake?)
2. Cabin Air Filter
3. Brake Fluid
4. Engine Oil
5. Oil Filter

So where would i go to purchasing all these parts??? Will walmart or pepboys or autozone carry all these stuff including Brake Fluids?? Is there a specific brand with that?

All I know is that Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec are the good one for Engine Oil.

Air Filter should be OEM Toyota Air Filter??

I heard that Oil Filter Lexus recommends using OEM filters.

And not sure about the cabin air filter and the brake fluids.

Any recommendations on what brand, which type, and which number like 5W30 or something else that i should go with??

I just don't want to spend $260 on the 30K service...

Again I appreciate the help here!!

Last edited by radicalrev; 02-08-08 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 02:10 PM
schan1w
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should use all OEM parts. You can get these from Toyota or Lexus dealers. The price you'll pay for parts from online dealers will be about the same as what you pay for aftermarket parts at Pepboys/Autozone. The only thing to get is Mobile 1 at Walmart - it's the best deal. Get your brake fluid from your local Toyota dealer.
Old 02-08-08, 02:15 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

So OEM cabin filter, OEM Oil Filter and OEM Brake Fluid..Which Mobil 1?

About the Air Filter, should I just wait until I get my K&N Intake??

Lastly, will pepboys/autozone be able to do these services/changes for me?
Old 02-08-08, 02:47 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So OEM cabin filter, OEM Oil Filter and OEM Brake Fluid..Which Mobil 1?

About the Air Filter, should I just wait until I get my K&N Intake??

Lastly, will pepboys/autozone be able to do these services/changes for me?
Don't take your IS to Pepboys/Autozone. Just take it to Lexus or Toyota and ask them to do those items. You may save a little bit of money at Pepboys,but those guys don't know anything about the IS350. Plus when you want to sell your car the potential buyer may want to know where you services your vehicle and the good service history record command top dollars.
Old 02-08-08, 05:01 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

The dealer will probaly charge alot for the service...i would just go to a certified auto repair shop that works with Lexus/Toyotas....
Old 02-09-08, 09:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

The dealer will probaly charge alot for the service...i would just go to a certified auto repair shop that works with Lexus/Toyotas....
yup...

there is nothing special about any Lexus that would prevent a competent repair shop from doing something as simple as replacing fluids...

and to the person that recommended Toyota brake fluid? like it's something special???

wow...

you guys crack me up...

any DOT3 or better brake fluid meets Lexus OE specs, and you can find performance fluids that outperform OE Lexus fluids for similar costs...

and to say that Lexus techs are the only ones qualified to replace fluids, wholly ****... I'd be willing to bet that I have more experienced, qualified techs at my independent repair shop than our local Lexus dealer... I have one tech with 27 years experience, as an ASE Master Tech, and has had training in Toyota/Lexus, GM/Chevy, and Ford... We have OE capable scantools...

Now, Pepboys, not so sure about them, I suppose it depends on who they have working for them...
Old 02-09-08, 09:48 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

I thought changing oil and filters and brake fluids are just basic thing....well so which performance brake fluid I should go with?? any1 can also answer about the engine air filter??
Old 02-09-08, 09:49 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by schan1w
You should use all OEM parts. You can get these from Toyota or Lexus dealers. The price you'll pay for parts from online dealers will be about the same as what you pay for aftermarket parts at Pepboys/Autozone. The only thing to get is Mobile 1 at Walmart - it's the best deal. Get your brake fluid from your local Toyota dealer.
Did you know that some aftermarket parts are the exact same as your OE parts, just in a different box/bag??? and at half or less the price??? Sure, there are some cheap knockoffs out there, but I'd say 65% of the aftermarket parts I order are identical to the OE parts, just without the OE sticker, even going as far as same manufacturer...
Old 02-09-08, 09:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I thought changing oil and filters and brake fluids are just basic thing....well so which performance brake fluid I should go with?? any1 can also answer about the engine air filter??
Castrol SRF
AP 550
AP 600
ATE Super Blue Racing
ATE TYP 200
ELF HTX 115
Motul 550
Motul 600
Neo 610
Performance Friction Z rated

Castrol is probably the best out there, and what I use in my car...

here's a website with where I got my original recommendations from and the list above:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml
Old 02-09-08, 11:22 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

woww..those are racing brake fluids...i check the prices out and it is 80 bucks!! compare to OEM 15 dollars..
Old 02-09-08, 11:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

woww..those are racing brake fluids...i check the prices out and it is 80 bucks!! compare to OEM 15 dollars..
Valvoline Synpower, ATE Super Blue, and others are less than $15 / quart...

If you want something equivalent to DOT 3 OEM fluid, simply go to Autozone or any other shop and buy the $5/quart stuff...

The Castrol I got was free (used to be a Castrol dealer), and was quite expensive... when I have to flush fluid on my own dime, it'll probably be Motul 600, as it is readily available (one of the hardest things to do is find this stuff at times)

Quick Reply: 30K service