Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Question about using the fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 11:48 PM
jeff1941
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about using the fuel additives

Im thinking of using the Chevron Concentrate Plus
http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx

I know your suppose to pour it in the gas tank when the tank is near empty before filling the gas tank full of gas. Will it be best to use Chevron gas or can I use Shell with same results? Also is it best to use 91 rating gas or just regular? Wouldn't 91 gas + fuel additives have to much cleaning additives? O yea, last question whats the difference between the fuel cleaner additives vs the fuel injector cleaner? Doesn't the fuel cleaner additives clean the fuel injectors?
Old 02-23-08, 12:42 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1941
Im thinking of using the Chevron Concentrate Plus
http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...tives/tcp.aspx

I know your suppose to pour it in the gas tank when the tank is near empty before filling the gas tank full of gas. Will it be best to use Chevron gas or can I use Shell with same results? Also is it best to use 91 rating gas or just regular? Wouldn't 91 gas + fuel additives have to much cleaning additives? O yea, last question whats the difference between the fuel cleaner additives vs the fuel injector cleaner? Doesn't the fuel cleaner additives clean the fuel injectors?
I'll answer what I can.

The product is fine to use.

You can use Chevron or Shell, they both meet the highest standard criteria,.. you could also use Texaco if you wished. Though Chevron would prefer if you gave them your money..

Use the 91,.. It wouldn't hurt to use 93 either. The octane boost rating go in ratings of 10 -- Each 10 points = 1 point of Octane, and even then dispursed throughout your tank that is usually much too generous.

No, 87,91, or 93 won't be combining too much cleaning 'additives' to your tank. I assure you.

The difference in specific Fuel injector cleaners and say a fuel 'System' cleaner is that the injector cleaner is targetted to clean the injectors alone,.. the more general cleaners are designed to clean the injectors as well as help remove deposits from pistons, intake valves, and combustion chambers.

The broader cleaners supposedly do not do as 'good' or as targetted of a job on your injectors, but do more 'overall' good, depending on the condition of your engine/fuel system.

Bottom line is these products are mandated to be 'harm safe'. What does that mean? It means that they work at a certain 'dosage' per se. Say 1 bottle for X gallons. But, if you put in say 2 bottles (doubling the dose) it wouldn't hurt your car/engine/fuel system in anyway, due to the design of the chemicals. Also more is not better, using say 2 bottles would just provide the benefit of the designed dose of one bottle. (You may have some diminishing returns, but not significant enough to use more.

Bottom line, you are safe to go with the product, and with any gas (of a reputable company).

Though I would go with the gasoline octane rating you normally use (or that recommended to use by the manual).

In my vehicle that is minimum 91, but I use 93.

Hope that clears some of it up. *I purposely did not get technical because this answers your question* -- Someone else might come in here with some technical jargon..