Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

At what mileage will the alternator and starter need replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-02, 06:11 AM
Purplexed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what mileage will the alternator and starter need replacement?

Greetings,
I would like to change my alternator prior to it actually going out . How long before it typically will die?
Same question for the starter, but this is going to be expensive and difficult to get to. Is it best to just have it done when the timing belt is being replaced????
Thanks for any experience you can share
Old 02-02-02, 08:14 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I would not make those routine replacement items. They normally will last the life of your vehicle; certainly failures occur, but I don't think I'd do a pre-emptive strike as with timing belts and (sometimes) water pumps.

I have a close friend who's LS has well over 200k miles......no alternator or starter failure to this point.

My previous SC300 (sold to one of my partners, so I still know full history) is at approx 110k; same story.
Old 03-03-02, 02:50 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

Wink starter

my starter relay is dead.

this after aprox 100000 miles, of course depending on the intensivity of use.
so... you sometimes can have to replace indeed.
Old 03-03-02, 04:32 PM
Lvangundy

I've been quoted over $1,000 for a starter replacement, because you have to take out most major parts in the engine bay to get to it.
It's behind the engine on the lower left side, if you are looking at your car from front on.
Old 03-04-02, 09:34 AM
mlevk
Driver

Default Sorry , but no ...

lvangundy,

Starters for the early LS400s are located underneath
the intake manifold , towards the rear of the car.
Yes many parts have to come out , I think the
labor rate is 4.5 hrs ? If a shop quoted you the
price I'd be wary about them.
Old 03-06-02, 01:04 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

co'mon guys

they took mine out and in, in aprox 1 hour !!
cost 1 h labour that's it
at my lexus dealer yes
Old 03-06-02, 05:42 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by blue wax
co'mon guys

they took mine out and in, in aprox 1 hour !!
cost 1 h labour that's it
at my lexus dealer yes
Which one are you refer to, Alternator or Starter?

I change the alternator myself and it took me more than 2 hrs.

Starter is definitely above the intake. A lot of part have to be out before you can get to the starter.

Last edited by VQT; 03-06-02 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-07-02, 11:04 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default replacement

It is EXTREMELY likely that the most common failure of these two components is the result of some sort of manufacturing defect. So a NEW factory replacement will be MORE prone to failure than the one you already have that has already proven itself to be free of manufacturing defects.

But...

You should definitely replace your starter motor, or your alternator, at whatever mileage your car has on it when they finally FAIL.

The only wear parts are bearings and slip ring brushes or commutator brushes. Either set of Brushes can be purchased for undr $10, an hour's labor on the alternator, maybe two on the starter. But neither of these should be done until an actaul failure.

Up until fairly recently I drove my cars (Fords) at least 200k miles, the only starter failure I experienced was in a Mercury Cougar that had the 351 Cleveland engine and the starter over-heated due to its proximaty to the engine and exhaust stack.

Most alternator slip ring brush sets can be swapped out by a DIY'r in about 5 minutes.

Last edited by willard west; 03-07-02 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-08-02, 04:06 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

My Supra starter failed at ~170K and alternator failed at ~180K. A $4 copper strip modified into a post for the starter fixed it. A set of alternator brushes for $3 and some sand papers fixed the alternator. They are still working flawlessly at 250K. If you want to preemptive maintenance, consider replacing the alternator brushes at 150K, other than that, don't worry about it.
Old 03-11-02, 10:44 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I've got a starter problem. 93 sc 300. Turn the key, the motor groans and barely turns over - three our four times - very slowly. Then ignition - purr - she don't miss a beat. Battery is good, alternator seems okay. Leads me to believe the starter is maybe not so good. How much is that part and is it doable in a parking lot change with a moderate DIY?
Old 03-11-02, 05:08 PM
anju
Driver School Candidate

The starter on my '98 LS4 failed at 60K! The techs at Keyes Lexus (a CL sponsor) said they had never seen a starter on a V8 go bad this early. Thats the good news. Starter sits in the V of the engine, and requires the intake manifold to be removed! I was quoted $1100 for replacement, but after demanding a goodwill replacement, was only charged for labor - $672. Ouch! Here's the kicker; replacement starter is warranted for one year or 12,000 miles only! Does'nt Pep Boys offer lifetime on their rebuilds? Unbelievable!
Prior to this I had a bad run of batteries - 4 in as many years. I'm told Lexus dropped their contract with Exide and now have Interstate manufacture batteries for them. Keeping my fingers crossed on this. The car is bone stock.
Old 03-11-02, 05:32 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by anju
The starter on my '98 LS4 failed at 60K! The techs at Keyes Lexus (a CL sponsor) said they had never seen a starter on a V8 go bad this early. Thats the good news. Starter sits in the V of the engine, and requires the intake manifold to be removed! I was quoted $1100 for replacement, but after demanding a goodwill replacement, was only charged for labor - $672. Ouch! Here's the kicker; replacement starter is warranted for one year or 12,000 miles only! Does'nt Pep Boys offer lifetime on their rebuilds? Unbelievable!
Prior to this I had a bad run of batteries - 4 in as many years. I'm told Lexus dropped their contract with Exide and now have Interstate manufacture batteries for them. Keeping my fingers crossed on this. The car is bone stock.
Do you take a lot of short trip?
Fail at 60K mi.
D#@m, labor for $672. That's more than a set of new tires
Old 03-31-07, 02:53 AM
bluesharp
Driver School Candidate

The starter solenoid in my '93 SC300 has just begun misbehaving, and I have around 140K on the car. My neighbor has a '98 SC300, and her starter solenoid needed to be replaced at around 126K miles (her shop replaced the whole unit).
Old 03-31-07, 09:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It also depends on the car. I know for the 98-00 GS400 guys, their starter seems to go out around 100k or so.
Old 04-03-07, 07:04 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My GS300's starter went at exactly 100k

Quick Reply: At what mileage will the alternator and starter need replacement?